News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Golden Sun Palette Editing

Started by charleysdrpepper, 08, July, 2009, 08:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

All you need is Visualboy Advance and the rom.

So you want to edit some colors? And you don't have a clue how? Well listen up...

EDIT2: Only works as long as you don't exit the room... sorry I just found out.

EXAMPLE:
Edit: DC might actually include the 2 letters before it too? (5ADC, you can also see 0x5ADC in the Palette Viewer shown below) I recommend clicking 16-bit, sorry I forgot to do it below.

First, get to a spot that has the image you want to edit in the game

For Sprites, Open Tools -> Oam Viewer

click threw the spites til you find the image.

click anywhere on the image, you will get a magnified view up close of what you clicked on to the right, click the color you want to change, Make note of the R: G: B: values

Now back at Visualboy, click Tools -> Palette Viewer.

Click to find color that matches, search for hex shown, in Memory Viewer, and well now just change the 4 character characters to get color you want.... uhh yeah, sorry if this didn't make sense.

There's one problem though, some pictures, the code might reset for, so be careful.... (like Jenna's dialogue icon, AND afterwards visit the Psynergy screen. EDIT2: AND I JUST LEARNED THAT IF YOU LEAVE THE ROOM THEY RESET TOO!!!!

This post has been edited.

EDIT: maybe I should have clicked 16-bit

This post has been edited by charleysdrpepper on Jul 8 2009, 08:56 PM
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Oh, thank you. I will be sure to try it out when I can.

Have a nice day.
:MercurySet:  :MercuryDjinni:  
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

I hope it's well written enough to understand/follow, and if you have any questions let me know.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Oh, It is, thank you. I will let you knwo if I have any problems with it (but I do not think I will).

Have a nice day.
:MercurySet:  :MercuryDjinni:  
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Good, and by the way, I forgot to click the 16-bit, as you can see I edited my first post.

Edit: Uh-oh, but I just noticed all of it resets when you leave a room, I wonder if there's a way to code out the reset.

This post has been edited by charleysdrpepper on Jul 8 2009, 08:54 PM

EDIT: I think there is, but you have to look for the value in the ROM section, with the use of bpw in VBA SDL H.

This post has been edited by charleysdrpepper on Aug 30 2009, 09:57 PM

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden