News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Extracting Data For Editor.

Started by Salanewt, 19, July, 2009, 09:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Hello. I was thinking about making an editor for a game, but I would like to ask a few simple (hopefully) questions about doing so first. Could someone please tell me how to extract the data from a game and configure it so it can be changed easily (without having to use a HEX editor). Also, what would the best program be to try this out. Okay, this next question is for certain games only. How would I go about editing enemy groups that are fixed in a game (similar to Golden Sun's enemy groups, but the amount of enemies is fixed, and their location on a map is fixed too(sprites are on the world map)).

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice day.
:MercurySet:  :MercuryDjinni:  
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Pkmn-Master

Something like that, I believe would require a lot of programming.
I don't think there is anything out there where you can actually view where the enemies are to edit them.

Salanewt

Oh, well, what I was talking about when I said "(similar to Golden Sun's enemy groups, but the amount of enemies is fixed, and their location on a map is fixed too (sprites are on the world map))" was that this game is similar, but the enemies that you fight are actually on the maps and levels, so you can see where they are. I was hoping that I could eventually make a complete editor for a certain game. I will not say what the game is, but you will probably be able to find out if you visit Yoshi's Lighthouse (link is in my signature).

Anyway, before concentrating on the enemy editor, does anybody have information for me about making a text viewer and editor? The enemy editor will probably have to wait for a while before I change anything, since I still have to do some playing around with this HEX editor before I can find the enemy data. However, I almost have all of the text (I just have to make sure that I am labeling these languages correctly (this game has at least 5 languages in it (English, french, etc.))).

Anyway, thank you for your bit of info there, and please have a nice day.
:MercurySet:  :MercuryDjinni:  

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

That all depends on the game, very rarely will you find two games that use the exact same data formats.  There are even differences in formats between Golden Sun, and The Lost Age.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

Well, I suppose I can tell you the game. However, I would like to gather some more information first, so this post is due to be edited. Alternatively, you could visit my website, although there is only a collecting of almost enough data for a text editor. By the way, one quick question, you can make an editor with C++, correct?

Have a nice day.