Golden Sun Hacking Community
April 20, 2018, 10:20:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Poll
Question: What did you think of the whole SOPA thing?
It was a mess.
It should have passed.
It was a waste of time.
It wasn't that bad.
It took my MEGA UPLOAD!
I don't care
I don't know

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on SOPA  (Read 4649 times)
zman9000
Golden sun fan/Map Builder
Luna Clan

Lord Zed

Excellent Member

Coins: 0

I am: A guy who just really likes golden sun

« on: January 23, 2012, 04:37:59 PM »

What do you think about the whole SOPA hassle this past week or so.

was it worth it. a waste of time. pointless. are you glad it happened and failed. did you want it to go through? vote and then post a comment on your thoughts about it.

I my self don't really care anymore. it was stupid and there was no real point to it. I vote it was just a dumb waste of my and everyone's time.

But I'm interested on what other people think.

Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx
View Profile
leaf
Potions class is starting
Venus Clan

Death Eater+Grass Snake = Snake Eater? SNAAAAAAAKE

Veteran Member

Coins: 10

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 07:05:34 PM »

It shouldn't have existed in the first place, but fighting it was certainly not a waste of anyone's time.

And looking at the poll, it seems there is some confusion about megaupload. The megaupload incident was independent from SOPA; it was taken down with our existing laws. It wasn't just a piracy crackdown, although they certainly did it with horrible timing. Apparently, megaupload was involved in some actually illegal stuff (e.g. money laundering).

The real problem now is that this sets a precedent. Even though other filesharing sites may not be doing anything illegal, they'll be attacked anyway under the pretense of being a filesharing site like megaupload was - and they got that, right? It's not an exaggeration to say that the internet has taken a huge blow from this. http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120122/23343817505/megaupload-shutdown-means-other-companies-turning-off-useful-services.shtml

Spoiler for quotes:
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O
View Profile
zman9000
Luna Clan

Lord Zed

Excellent Member

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 07:44:12 PM »

I didn't mean exactly that the fight vs SOPA was a waste of time. the whole idea of SOPA was a waste of time. Why make something so big and stupid with out doing any  research. and i mean true research not the BS the government takes as fact.

Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 11:37:11 PM »

This is like SOL, ... PA for Pennslyvania!

Though, I don't live there. How about Political Advice?

What did of the whole SOPA thing?
Say that again?
What do you think about the whole SOPA hassle this past week or so.
Oh.

I think it was dumb, too bad that's not an option.

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile

Novice Member

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 09:09:54 AM »

This SOPA thing is like the condition in China, Chinese people do not have access to YouTube,twitter,Facebook and some articles of Wikipedia. Irate This thing is AWFUL!!!
View Profile
Durza
Einzelganger

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:22:13 PM »

It was a waste of time that should never even have been considered. If people want to illegally get copyrighted stuff, they'll find a way whether or not some politicians have decided they shouldn't. All it would end up doing is get a few different names put on sites that achieve exactly the same things as the old ones. And it's given some people claiming to be Anonymous an excuse to attack Facebook as well, apparently.

It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.
View Profile
zman9000
Luna Clan

Lord Zed

Excellent Member

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 05:02:34 PM »

actually they said they aren't going to attack facebook, google, or youtube.
I know this because my brother is signed up with them and gets message updates on what they are doing... How? i have no clue...

View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 11:24:32 PM »

So, if that was today... How do we know if the same would be true in like 25 years later? Either way, you cannot keep the same people in Congress forever. It's best to leave little room for misinterpretations.

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 01:21:42 PM »

This is one of those good intentions, but with disastrous implications, and the masses of the internet immediately realized how much it could be abused and had it shot down.

Hopefully we'll get a revised version that does away with the potential abuses of power that could happen - piracy is a problem, yes, and pirates should be punished, yes, but not to the detriment of those who are innocent.  Furthermore, the companies representing the bill need to take a good hard look at their business models.  When the pirates are doing a better job of distribution of product than you, you're doing something horribly, horribly wrong.

The main cause of the rampant piracy is not actually the whole "free stuff", it's "I can't get this in my country".  And you know what?  It's their own fault.  Who do you think came up with region locking?  Why do you think gaming piracy is so bad, especially in games that aren't localized?

View Profile WWW
JamietheFlameUser
Diamond Pokémon
Mars Clan

Does this look like the face of mercy?

Prodigy

I am: Poke poke poke poke... I can't stop it...

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 03:48:11 PM »

I'd just like to point out: having your stuff featured on Youtube can result in increased sales. Take a look at Monty Python, for instance. There were already plenty of bad-quality videos of their stuff on Youtube. So what did they do? Put it up on Youtube themselves, in good quality. The result was that people started buying their stuff to support them. And of course any game LPd by Chuggaaconroy or The Runaway Guys inevitably gets a sudden burst of sales, if it's still around to be bought.

So really, the whole SOPA thing was a bad idea all around.

:P

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

Spoiler for epic mindscrew:
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 03:55:25 PM »

A better idea is to make a law that allows you to shut down and kill sites that charge people for this content.  There are sites like that, and hunting them down and killing them is something everyone can get behind.

View Profile WWW
JamietheFlameUser
Diamond Pokémon
Mars Clan

Does this look like the face of mercy?

Prodigy

I am: Poke poke poke poke... I can't stop it...

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 04:48:24 PM »

But nobody uses those sites anyway! I can't imagine they make a profit in the first place. And we don't need a law for that, they're already directly against the law and can be shut down at any time. We don't need new laws to enforce copyright. Just use the ones you've already got. They work fine in regards to US-based websites.

:P

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

Spoiler for epic mindscrew:
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 32

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 05:53:28 PM »

Jamie has a point. It would be better to keep the laws that already exist instead of granting business owners the right to shut down websites in foreign countries. I mean, the US shutting a website that is hosted in China would make the US look terrible because they should have absolutely no jurisdiction in China. If they are trying to stop piracy, then the right way to go about doing that would be to encourage other nations to make similar laws to fight piracy with.

Of course, the majority of other governments aren't under the control of big business - they can make their own decisions without having some music company holding their hands through the process. Not to offend anyone, of course... I'm so lucky to live where I do, haha. Happy
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:02:48 PM by Salanewt » Logged

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
zman9000
Luna Clan

Lord Zed

Excellent Member

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 08:56:08 PM »

And of course any game LPd by Chuggaaconroy or The Runaway Guys inevitably gets a sudden burst of sales, if it's still around to be bought.
well Jamie Chuggaaconroy has been recognized by Nintendo and has even been invited to some places by them. if anything they know that he's helping them and increasing their sales.

Other company's should do stuff like Nintendo. I mean even Microsoft does something like that, Rooster Teeth works on x-box games, shows of the games, and other things. and they are being payed by Microsoft.

If company's were to put a little more thought into it they could be making even more money by supporting people like them.

View Profile
Misery
Bad Luck

Great Member

Coins: 2

Clan Position: Mercury Hack Leader

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 10:07:07 PM »

The whole idea of SOPA is basically hunting mosquitoes with bazookas. I was never really that worried about it, as I didn't believe the people of the US would let it pass.

In a way I'm glad it was suggested. The American government is picking a fight with the whole computer using world, and they're not going to win. The internet is a beast out of their control, if they can't shoot it down maybe they'll be forced to befriend it, and maybe there will be some new laws that are actually accustomed to current technology.

Piracy also isn't nearly as big of a problem as the big companies make it out to be, since in reality, only a fraction of those who download stuff would've actually bought it in the first place. The only exception where it actually takes away a large sum from the profit is the most mainstream stuff that rolls in so much cash anyway that it hardly matters.

If buying data from stores was as easy as downloading it from the web, retailers could cut their prices in half and still multiply their profit many times over. Hell, it would probably be more profitable even if they gave the actual IP holders a greater part of that profit. Of course, everyone else between the product and the customer would be left without a job, but it's a changing world, right?

Other company's should do stuff like Nintendo.
Please do some more research about Nintendo. They are indeed an extremely successful company, which involves being asses most of the time.
View Profile
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Today at 02:46:36 PM
KyleRunner: Atrius!!
Yesterday at 11:29:46 PM
Atrius: @Fox, I tried, but for some reason Mario Golf won't boot, and Mario Tennis crashes when you patch out the text compression, and I'm not sure why...  The normal text loading functions in them are basically the same as the ones in the Golden Sun games.
April 16, 2018, 07:44:36 AM
Drake baku: So it took about halve a hour of letting my lap stay off for it to suddenly work again
April 16, 2018, 07:31:28 AM
Drake baku: All of a sudden fox his editor gets errors. When trying to start it, thing worked fine yesterday...
April 14, 2018, 01:04:37 PM
Fox: @Mario Golf/text editing = Nope... And it may be awhile yet. I think I looked into it before... (at least for GS1)... but usually is the case when I come across a particular problem, that it can delay a solution for an extremely long time.
April 12, 2018, 04:27:14 PM
KyleRunner: Gee... never used discord...
April 12, 2018, 06:03:23 AM
Drake baku: I take it back, found it
April 12, 2018, 06:02:01 AM
Drake baku: But there is no discord link to be found
April 12, 2018, 06:01:44 AM
Drake baku: Everyone is on discord
April 11, 2018, 09:44:06 PM
KyleRunner: Fox, what about that tool for editing text in Mario Golf? Didi you finish it? If not, can you make a version of gstoolkit compatible with it?
April 11, 2018, 07:41:25 AM
Drake baku: Mauw
March 30, 2018, 07:26:11 PM
Salanewt: Hi!
March 29, 2018, 07:37:45 PM
ThanatosTheDark: YYEEEOOOOOO
March 12, 2018, 02:21:06 AM
Fox: say*
March 12, 2018, 02:20:53 AM
Fox: I saw we need an event this April Fools/Easter... because two holidays are in one, why would we not want to miss having something special? (Unfortunately, there's no one here to make an event be successful.)
March 12, 2018, 02:18:17 AM
Fox: And since that's the case...  I have thought of another fun experiment idea. - What if we had an auction on who should run this site, and waited for 10 people to bid and also for a bare minimum of 24 hours. Who would bid the highest, and how much would that bid be? - The idea is more for lulz (Maybe for April Fools?), and a theory to get an idea of how much the site might be worth as well.
March 11, 2018, 03:02:31 AM
Fox: Creepy, isn't it?
March 10, 2018, 02:19:04 AM
Fox: It's frog legs now.. It's something that's dead, but somehow still manages to wiggle.
March 09, 2018, 04:12:17 AM
JamietheFlameUser: I think this place is still dead.
March 02, 2018, 09:43:18 AM
Pkmn-Master: Lol I haven't been here in like 6 years. How is everyone?

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise