News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Greetings!

Started by Robert Joe, 19, October, 2012, 07:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Joe

Hello! My name is, well... Guess....

I actually discovered this community about six months ago, and I have been messing around with the Editor ever since. Mainly for a large, satirical, interactive, mess of a Let's Play Series (http://s4.zetaboards.com/Shellcore_Command/topic/9484368/1/ sorry, Hyperlinks were not working) starting with Golden Sun (If you actually read more than a page of that pile of garbage, I pity you...).

Although recently, I have been using the Editor quite a bit more (Mainly for random stupid things: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO0gQRAP4Bw&feature=plcp), and I thought that I might as well just cease lurking and join the community.

I do not know how much of a help I can be with any large hacking project like Dimensional Crisis, as I really do not posses a great deal of experience with modifying Gameboy Advance ROMs. However, I hope that I may be capable of assisting in something sooner or later.

Well, hopefully I will not be too annoying, and perhaps I can bring at least a small amount of activity to the forum...

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

1.  Hello sir, I'm Teawater.  Step in line and take a cup if you'd like.  Then again, there doesn't seem to be a line, so...

2./3.  Hmm... Looks like you joined just in time to replace the member who left the other day.  Thanks for finally taking the time to join.

4.  Don't worry, any amount of help will do.  Story planning is a big part of the project and only requires minimum knowledge on hacking.  Except for when you are trying to bring it to life, or need to know if something is possible.  Not many people are well versed in direct memory hacking on this forum anyway.  Except for me, Atrius, Salanewt (but Salanewt left), and some others I don't know about. - If you are ever interested in learning GBA hacking, I can suggest VBA's Memory Viewer, as well as using VBA-SDL-H. (Which requires learning assembly/ASM.) The GBATEK guide might help as well. (I use it when learning about I/O, assembly, etc.)

5.  So good so far.  I hope you have a wonderful time here, and have a nice day!
:MercuryDjinni: :MercuryDjinni:

Edit: I took a closer look at your topic, and I admit I ended up reading more than a page.  I like how you are getting the members working together on civ3 at the end, though. In fact, I use to play civ3 when I was younger.  I think there might be some bug on the disk I was using, though... which happens some time when you get the railroads.. I forget the bug, because it has been so long... (Probably a decade ago by now.)

Have a nice day! (I already said that, oh well.)
:MercuryDjinni: :MercuryDjinni:
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

RagnarokEmissary

Hi there!

Don't drink the Teawater, it has laxatives in it~ *looks at large line in front of the toilet*

^-^

Crystal Sonata

Welcome to the GSHC Forums, where if you piss off Role, she'll take your head off and somehow feed it to you o-o.

Nah, just kidding, she really has gotten a lot better at controlling her anger.....or maybe we got better at not pissing her off.....

Either way, sit down, relax, join a clan and have fun! If you need anything, just ask one of us here, we don't mind ^^. Please be an active member though, we seem to be short on those lately.
Anything I post here is solely my opinion, and is not proven fact, unless I specify otherwise.

If I say anything that offends you, grow a set.

Robert Joe

If you value your life, do not anger Rolina under any circumstances.

Any edible substances given to you are most likely laced with laxatives, and the line to the restroom is ridiculously long.

Okay, noted.

Quote from: TeawaterI took a closer look at your topic, and I admit I ended up reading more than a page.  I like how you are getting the members working together on civ3 at the end, though. In fact, I use to play civ3 when I was younger.  I think there might be some bug on the disk I was using, though... which happens some time when you get the railroads.. I forget the bug, because it has been so long... (Probably a decade ago by now.)

You actually managed to read more than a page of that?! Well. You certainly have my condolences. And if that bug involves railroads, I have actually encountered it a few times before. When a Worker is automated, they will occasionally move back and forth until they are out of movement points. And since railways allow any units to move an infinite distance on them (Which makes no sense whatsoever. Yes, trains are fast, but they are not teleportation, I tell you!), an automated Worker can get "Stuck" on a section of railroad and effectively crash the game. 

Edit:  I would also like to point out that up until about a week ago, I made the same spelling mistake with Isaac's name as Garet makes in Teawater's signature...

Anyway, thank you for the welcome. And yes, I do hope to be active.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

@Teawater: I almost forgot, this Tea Water is made up of a mixture of honey and cinnamon powder. Hence boil water and mix.( http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_tea_water )

@railroads: I can't remember too well, but I do not think that was the problem I had in mind. (I can't even remember if it was right before the railroads... I just know it was around there.. probably when you hit a new age... but Hmm... I'll have to play it again to know, though. Maybe since I actually know a little bit more about computers, I can actually find a way to isolate the problem one day.   )

@Isaac: Yeah, I've noticed plenty of people make that mistake.  I've not seen any other alternate spellings. (Besides Isaak, but that was referring to someone in real life.)

Edit: Okay, found the disk. CIV3
Its capacity is 611,444,736 bytes (583 MB)

If it doesn't match yours... then well, hmm.. I don't remember seeing any "Completed" text like in the screenshot (Page 303) you had in that topic... so I wonder if we have slightly different versions.

Edit 2:  Huh... network resource access to install? :/  I guess I'm out of luck for right now. o.O Apparently the internet gives this game out to you for free... Hmm.. I think. But I might look into that later.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Robert Joe

Quote from: TeawaterYeah, I've noticed plenty of people make that mistake.

It got a bit ridiculous with me, though. I was pretty much staring at the correct spelling of Isaac's name approximately ninety percent of the time, and I still managed to mess it up:

Quote from: TeawaterI wonder if we have slightly different versions.

We probably do. I am running Civilization III Complete (Which includes the Play The World and The Conquerors expansion packs). And if it is just one disk that you have, it is most likely just the vanilla game.

As for the issue you are having, I have never encountered it before. So, I really do not know what to do. That is odd, though. I used to have the vanilla game installed on a computer that lacked an internet connection completely, and it worked quite well.

The only thing I can think of is if the game is just being annoying about the operating system you are trying to install it on. Civ3 is a pain to run and install on anything other than Windows 98-XP. I had a lot of trouble getting it to run on Windows Seven.

I will see what I can figure out about it, though.

Knight of Purgatory

Hello Robert! As you can see, I'm a semi active/lurker, on this site. I'm too lazy to log on from my phone, so i normally visit as a guest. Anyway, it's nice to see a new member around here.This site needs more.
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

Kain

Welcome to the site, Robert.  I'm Kain, the global moderator, the overlord of comedy and resident lurker.  If you have any questions about the editor...ask someone else!  If you have questions about anything besides the editor, I'll try my best to help you out.  I say this because I don't hack Golden Sun and haven't used the editor.  I can't even claim I haven't played Golden Sun any longer much to my disappointment.  But that's another story!

To my understanding, the DC project is on hold or cancelled due to the original project leader leaving the site and handing the reigns over to Misery.  I've not played Civ 3, but I have played Civ 4 and I have Civ 5 w/ Gods and Kings.  Though I've been playing other games mostly.

Anyways, hope you enjoy your stay and make sure you read the rules.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Rolina

Could you guys try, you know, not making every new member terrified of me?

Do whatever you want, I don't care - just don't break any rules.

RagnarokEmissary

I'm not terrified of you, Roli~

As for what games I'm playing, I've finished Sonic Heroes (Sonic Adventure was better IMO) and Oni (though I do keep Oni on my PC so I can dick about with the @#$% load of mods and the cheats (Big Head mode cheat FTW) that the game has), and I'm currently playing System Shock 2, Deus EX, and a few other games. I've played a bit of Civilization 4, but that's about it, when it comes to those games.

Oh, and I did have Battle Moon Wars, but I got rid of it.

Crystal Sonata

Don't take it the wrong way Role, we are boasting about your godliness o-o....
Anything I post here is solely my opinion, and is not proven fact, unless I specify otherwise.

Robert Joe

Quote from: Overlord KainI've not played Civ 3, but I have played Civ 4 and I have Civ 5 w/ Gods and Kings.

Civilization 4 is probably the best in the series. Although, I prefer three due to the fact that it is easier to modify (I am terrible with three-dimensional models). Five was okay, although I have not tried Gods and Kings yet.

As for the other games I play, I generally only like games that can be modified easily. For me, half of the fun of gaming is messing around with the game's data. I mainly play Minecraft (With the Tekkit modpack), Battleships Forever, Shellcore Command, Skyrim, Mushroom Kingdom Fusion, Team Fortress 2, Civilization 3, Golden Sun (Aka; messing around with the Editor and finding new and interesting things to kill Saturos and Menardi with), and I have just started to play Freespace.

Kain

I play Minecraft, Skyrim and Team Fortress 2.  Minecraft I use a flying mod so I can do pixel art easier without worry of falling off the side of my art and dying.  Skyrim I originally had on PS3 but I got it on PC and I've had fun messing around with it.  Dat Hatsune Miku mod.  Same for Fallout but I won't go into that.  Team Fortress 2...most I've done is put Nyan Cat to the Heavy's minigun.

Robert Joe

Quote from: Overlord Kain Team Fortress 2...most I've done is put Nyan Cat to the Heavy's minigun.

That is technically more than I have done (Again, I just do not like working with three-dimensional models for some strange reason). The most I have done is made a Golden Sun sound pack for the game. I might actually upload it at some point, but I need to work on it a bit more first.

Crystal Sonata

That'll surely be welcome here. Shouldn't we move this conversation somewhere else though, before Kain skins us all?

Kain

I can't flay you guys alive when I'm at the core of the topic being off topic, can I?  Regardless we should move this discussion elsewhere.

zman9000

welcome Robert!

QuoteIf you value your life, do not anger Rolina under any circumstances.

Any edible substances given to you are most likely laced with laxatives, and the line to the restroom is ridiculously long.

Okay, noted.
I wish I got this kinda help when I joined... well to be fair I was aware of this due to my lurking...
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx