News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

All PS3 Users will be Enraged at this "Patent"

Started by Jiten, 09, January, 2013, 05:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jiten

http://www.game-tuts.com/community/f179/sony-just-patented-its-own-downfall-122066/

To summerize it all up, this RFID Chip pretty much locks the game to that particular Playstation 3.  This means: "Your PS3 is broken?, too bad.  You can deal with it, buy another."  So does anyone here have a few hundred dollars to burn if your PS3 goes out?

I think enough people here know about the Incident with the Network being hacked, compromising millions of people's credit card information.  The removal of Linux, Backwards Compatibility for your older PSX & PS2 being tossed away, and any other issues with Sony and their PS3.  This is just their death warrant pretty much.

Share your thoughts?

I don't even own a PS3, but this is something I can't wish on even the most pitiful people.  A multi-billion dollar coporation pulling a move like this on the people who pretty much fund them, their fans and Fanbase.

MaxiPower

they were rumoured to do this before the ps3 came out and it never happened...

they patent things all the time. This will never see the light.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Hmmm, if this did happen though, I could see people hacking the chip itself. Haha! Only those few people who know how to reset the chip would still recieve the advantage of selling/buying/trading... me thinks.

I could also imagine the ROMs being uploaded to the internet, and an emulator being developed to bypass the chip for those who are not hacking-worthy.

I guess we all do things with good intentions only to find out they turn out much worse in the end. Makes me think of the government somewhat... Hmm...
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

Uggh, not this nonsense again.  Hun, they did this with the PS3 too, back before they released it.  Guess what came of it?

Ab-so-lute-ly nothing.  Don't get your panties in a bunch, hun, nothing will come of this, not until most sales are done digitally, and right now I don't even think we've hit the 20% mark.  Also, hate to nitpick, but the PS3 is already out - thus this has nothing to do with the PS3.  This patent is for the PS4, hun - likely to be announced this year.

Jiten

Considering the history with Sony and their playstation, I wouldn't put this pass them.  With their history, only time will tell if they do something like this with their games at all.  With the way corporations as big as Sony work,  I'd just stick to non-game related equipment from them, like camera's & TV's.  I don't own a PS3, but this move would just Alienate their users, and just cause a massive shift.

Shinigami

Quote from: Teawater on 09, January, 2013, 11:07:59 PM
I guess we all do things with good intentions only to find out they turn out much worse in the end. Makes me think of the government somewhat... Hmm...
Did I miss something?

Personaly doubt that they would implement something like this...
So nanoka~

I guess you did? The "good intention" would be to make more money on their games. After all, they don't get anything from people buying used games, do they? (When you look on the surface, but if you look pass the surface, they would actually be counter-productive, had this taken affect. )
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Kain

1.  PS3 is already out.  They can't do anything to mine unless they physically came here.
2.  This rumor was for the PS4.  Either you misread or the person posting that is an idiot.  I didn't open the link.
3.  If this does happen with PS4, no skin off my back.  I'm slowly swapping over to being a PC gamer.
4.  If I was ever that desperate...jailbreaking.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Quote1.  PS3 is already out.  They can't do anything to mine unless they physically came here.
Ixion did say this: "I don't even own a PS3,", though... which makes me think s/he already knows it is out? Hmm....
Quote2.  This rumor was for the PS4.  Either you misread or the person posting that is an idiot.  I didn't open the link.
I think it may be a typo and Ixion forgot which it was for. (?)
Quote3.  If this does happen with PS4, no skin off my back.  I'm slowly swapping over to being a PC gamer.
PC gaming for the win... Connect your computer to a nice theater system (large screen + surround sound), sit back, and enjoy your fun.
Quote4.  If I was ever that desperate...jailbreaking.
jail-what? *Hands you a free Get Out Of Jail Free card. (From Monopoly.)*

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

Again, I'd like to point out that this has little to do with vs piracy and more to do with the war on used games... except, shops like gamestop comprise the majority share of sales for software, and rental services like gamefly would be hit by this too... so there's no way in hell that this is gonna get done, simply because those store can simply stop selling their games period.

Until the time comes when the lion's share of games is sold digitially, which isn't coming for at least another generation or two, this is never going to happen.  Story worrying about it.

Jiten

Indeed, only time will tell.  Just hear me out, with a lot of their decisions being a little bit questionable with how they've treated the PS3 in general, I wouldn't put it past them.  I apologize if this thread didn't have as as much of a big update as anticipated.  This seemed like something to discuss.

MaxiPower

The ps4, 720 (hypothetical names) i reckon will be the last generation with actual discs. say 10 years from now the ps5 and 1080 (again hypothetical names) come out. It should all be downloadable at this point thus the problem will sort itself out.

If Sony does it and Microsoft doesn't, they are screwed so perhaps Sony is trying to throw Microsoft a dummy.

Rolina

PS5 and 1080 will not be 10 years from now.  They'll be 5-6 years from now tops.  Technology advances too quickly for them to last ten years without a new console release.

zman9000

well what ever happens I won't be happy until I get my 'Nerve gear' gaming console. Sword art online ftw
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Crystal Sonata

I follow Zman on that note. Props on the profile pic, wanted to say that but it kept skipping my mind.
Anything I post here is solely my opinion, and is not proven fact, unless I specify otherwise.

If I say anything that offends you, grow a set.

Rolina

Jiten

Prepare to have your Jimmies in a rustle today Role, Kain, (Random names being tossed) or anybody who cares about the Xbox.  It was not Sony who shot themselves in the foot this time, it was Microsoft.  With recent developments and the reveal of the Xbox 1 (Confusing titles will equal people buying a original Xbox, trolling attempt perhaps?  *Nudge Nudge*)  No Backwards Compatibility, the DRM Patent I talked about?  Well, Xbox One just crushed the Used Games Market (Hint), The system works strangely, you have to install a game unto the Said system.  If you try to install a used game on it, you get charged a fee.  Xbox Live Fee is going up. (Maybe for the Xbox one only?)   

__

It doesn't surprise me at the Marketing Tactics being implemented, but Apple has done this, what would microsoft hope to achieve?    Especially if people see through to the Mirrors and Smokes.  I don't know how many people predicted the Xbox 1 being a fallout, but it's not a bright future for the Xbox One.  If it pulls through then it appears that gaming has changed and has taken a backseat if they dominate the overall market.

Kain

Knew about this months ago.  You also speak as if I support Microsoft in anything.  The reason I had that crappy console to begin with is because I had a crappy computer that couldn't play any decent games.  Now that my computer can handle playing Left 4 Dead (the reason I bought a 360.) without smoking and oozing a black substance, I don't even play my 360 anymore.

The regular Xbox was alright but had crap for games on it and all I used it for was a ninety pound, five hundred inch MP3 player.  The 360 was meh tier, had a confusing layout to use, pay to play online, VERY little memory to work with if you didn't pay out the bum for more memory and the only redeeming quality IMO was the ability to play music or chat with others while in game, something the PS3 didn't have the ability to do.

Even Sony has said at one point what Microsoft is doing is pants on head retarded and they would never do that but I've learned never to take a companies word for anything until the product is out and some poor sap has tested it for me.  Hell, I rarely play my own PS3 these days too because the PC has a lot of games I like on it as well.  Granted there's the RPG or few other games I CAN'T play on my PC but that's why the PS3 is here, and guess what?  I don't have to pay sixty bucks for a years worth of online playing.

WOW I can't believe I just went on a rant like that.  tl;dr This isn't news.  I hate the Xbox.  Microsoft you are fools and Ixion I'm insulted you'd think this would rustle my jimmies.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Rolina

Yeah, we knew microsoft had DRM months ago.

Robert Joe

I have absolutely given up on console gaming. Even if it were not for the entire "Lack of modding" thing that I cannot live without, it is rather obvious that the Xbox One is going to be a flop, similar to the Wii U. The gestures and voice commands will get old after about a minute, and the ridiclous DRM system will drive away anyone that can stand it.

I hope that Sony's PS4 is actually going to be a real gaming console (Not some "Look! It is an all-in-one entertainment center!" nonsense.), and does not posses a system that prevents the use of used games. Because, if it does, I have a feeling that we may be approaching another video game crash.