News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

All PS3 Users will be Enraged at this "Patent"

Started by Jiten, 09, January, 2013, 05:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kain

Quote from: Robert Joe on 25, May, 2013, 01:01:31 PM
the Xbox One is going to be a flop, similar to the Wii U.

Hey now.  The only thing the Wii U is suffering from is a lack of games.  Mario Bros U and Monster Hunter are pretty great games though Zombi U I could have done without.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Rolina

Also, don't assume that all gamers are like us, and keep up with gaming news.  There's a ton of people out there who don't, who will buy it out of brand loyalty.

Aile~♥

The only reason I would even consider kicking in the money for an XBox 360 is so I can play Tales of Vesperia. Other than that, not happening, since I've seen no other decent games in the console.

And the XBox ONE is seriously doing DRM? That's just dumb. Not that I was planning to buy it anyway, since as with all Microsoft products where they try to roll everything into one big application/device, it's going to have a needlessly overcomplicated user interface that will result in large amounts of torn hair, thrown controllers, and flipped tables.

As for the Wii U, I'm actually planning on getting one eventually, if only for SSB4. If we're lucky, we'll get some Tales games on the system as well.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Kain

Vesperia and Record of Agarest War are the only games my 360 is still useful for.  RoAW WOULD have been on PS3 had the employee at Gamestop not been a lying jerk and told me it wasn't Xbox exclusive and when I was out on the road with my father (he's a trucker.) I'd often find myself awake while he's sleeping so I figured I'd try out Vesperia and look at that, I enjoyed it...far more than Graces f mind you but I digress.

So my 360 had some life again because I found a game worth playing.  Also agreeing with what Role said.  My cousin Randy is excited for the Xbox One despite its flaws as he's a huge Microsoft fan for w/e reason.  Granted, the only games he'll probably play on it are the Call of Duty series, but that's his prerogative and I've no right to judge because I play them from time to time as well. Just on the superior system that is known as the PS3. Imeanwhat
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

RagnarokEmissary

I have Record of Agarest War on PS3, as well as Agarest Zero. Didn't know Agarest was on 360.

Rolina

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 26, May, 2013, 01:32:42 AM
The only reason I would even consider kicking in the money for an XBox 360 is so I can play Tales of Vesperia. Other than that, not happening, since I've seen no other decent games in the console.

And the XBox ONE is seriously doing DRM? That's just dumb. Not that I was planning to buy it anyway, since as with all Microsoft products where they try to roll everything into one big application/device, it's going to have a needlessly overcomplicated user interface that will result in large amounts of torn hair, thrown controllers, and flipped tables.

As for the Wii U, I'm actually planning on getting one eventually, if only for SSB4. If we're lucky, we'll get some Tales games on the system as well.
It requires you to connect to the internet at least once a day in order to validate everything.  So... yeah.  If you have no internet, you're boned.  It's not quite always-on, but it's functionally similar enough that it serves as mandatory DRM.  Oh, and you have to pay a fee to play a game used.  There's that too.

RagnarokEmissary

Quote from: Rolina on 27, May, 2013, 12:35:07 PM
Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 26, May, 2013, 01:32:42 AM

It requires you to connect to the internet at least once a day in order to validate everything.  So... yeah.  If you have no internet, you're boned.  It's not quite always-on, but it's functionally similar enough that it serves as mandatory DRM.  Oh, and you have to pay a fee to play a game used.  There's that too.

What. A. Load. Of. Horse. @#$%.

Well, it wasn't like I wanted to get an Xbox One anyway.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Ouch. I know right? I've never ever owned an XBOX before, so anyway, I guess this doesn't really affect me...

I don't know much about the XBOX ONE system... in fact, this topic is probably the first time I think I've read of it? (Derp. ; If I've heard of it earlier, I don't remember that clearly. ) But it may leave a lot of questions about... Like... will this encourage or discourage other companies from doing this?

And many other questions that may be interesting to know, but yet, holds no importance... Thus, mostly all of them are trivial questions, unless one gets involved with the stuff, I guess:

Once a day? So, would it be a separate timer? Or is it dependent on the clock? Can you even set the clock? Or does it auto-sync to the internet? Are there any anti-hacking features that might make it even harder to disable? How much do you think it might cost to get the system decapped enough to remove such a feature? And what other questions I could possibly come up with. I might be better off looking it up, though. Not that it is interesting enough to be necessary... but maybe just for fun.

Ofcourse, if a hacker was to remove such a feature and everybody else found out how... then that might get everyone buying their systems... which could only encourage the companies to keep the feature. So... Yeah, either way, you are better off avoiding the console, I guess?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Kioll

Xbox One is a piece of crap.  You know what my 360 is used for, more than anything?  A DVD player.  I mean, we have a few games for it...  But I'm not gonna buy the One or the PS4...  Neither of them piques my interest.  I think I'm more interested in the 3DS and my Vita than any of the new consoles.  Which is sad, cause I usually prefer consoles.
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

Randel Peltier

I use my Xbox quite a lot every day actually, an I love my  little xbox I even buy her things such as paddle skins console skins. An I welcome the xbox one an the ps4.....hell I got money coming out my butt nowadays with nothing to spend it on. So I look forward to it. But to each there own I guess. Oooh an I hope I don't get in trouble for showing up out of the blue an posting.

Rolina

Also keep in mind that they have expressed that there is no desire to allow the XBO to play XBX or 360 games.  While PS4 will have gaikai so as to stream older games (thus getting around the hardware limitations), if you want an XBO you're also gonna wanna keep your 360.

Randel Peltier

You know I probably will keep it. Mostly the used game thing or the reverse compatabilty doesn't bother earlier consoles didn't have it so it wont bother me much. Just the thrill of the new games will keep me going....Our generation got spoiled by the ps2 an ps3 now everything has to be reverse compatibility. Well not for me. As for the used game things...I don't buy them nor do I return games even if they suck. Once I make a buy I got too much pride to admit I got a crappy game to ever get rid of it. Also I bought two ps3s before I sold out an went to Microsoft. But I do miss my ps3 both of them but my 360 is filling the void an I expect the XBO to do the same. People gotta realize that not everything is gonna be perfect. But just advancing the tech is enough for me.

Rolina

And the fun continues!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/28/xbox-one-to-be-region-locked

I really don't know why they're going this way with the XBO, since it's literally the exact opposite of what gamers have been asking for, but... whatever, I suppose.  PS4 is gonna be the console for me, this year.  Might get the WiiU if they'd bother to make some games for it, but...

Kioll

AND it's region locked?  Yeah.  Sticking to handhelds until Sony and Microsoft get their heads out of their asses.  Wii U bothers me, so I'm not gonna get one of those, either.
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

RagnarokEmissary

Yeah, I'm sticking to handhelds and older consoles till they get their @#$% together. I've always been meaning to get another Sega Mega Drive. Damn that thing had some pretty awesome games.

Seriously, what would it take for them to pull their arses out of their heads........ Oh @#$%, I mean "pull their heads out of their arses"

Either way, they're still full of shite.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

@Regoin-locking? - If you are able to copy the game to your computer somehow, Couldn't you just modify the game's region value to match ones in your own region?  I'm not sure what all region-locking checks with region-locking consoles... But I do know in GBA and DS games, there is a character that tells you which region the game is in.

E = North America
P = European
J = Japanese
K = Korean
...and there may be others.

By the way... quick question about the used games fee. So if you had two of the same games for XBO, does it register for the game's title, so all game's with the same title work, or only just the one you put in? I'm curious to wonder if you could change the game's title value to match one that is already registered so you could bypass the fee...

Ofcourse, you could also try to find out how games are detected as used, and delete those values?

---
Ofcourse, all of that would only work if you can get your hands on the ROM data of the games.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

Not sure.  We know there is going to be a small fee, but we don't know how much or what the specifics are yet.  Just stalk IGN until they find out, I suppose.

@Kioll:  Why the Sony hate?  They seem to be doing the exact opposite - easy to develop for, better specs, used games OK with no fee, no internet connection needed... Dunno about region locking, but odds are it's just like the PS3 in that it's not the hardware that's locked, it's the account (you can have a US and JP account onthe same machine).

Misery

Quote from: Rolina on 28, May, 2013, 10:29:27 AM
I really don't know why they're going this way with the XBO, since it's literally the exact opposite of what gamers have been asking for, but... whatever, I suppose.  PS4 is gonna be the console for me, this year.  Might get the WiiU if they'd bother to make some games for it, but...
The only reasons I can think of are...

1: They think that customers being unable to buy games from any region will somehow make up for fewer people buying the console.
2: They want to decrease demand for their console.
3: The XBO is a test subject and they're trying to find out how much DRM they can get away with.

...and the same can be said about the whole business about taking a fee for used games (at least they're not making them completely unplayable). I'm honestly not sure why they're doing this either, I get the feeling that the people making these decisions are stuck in their own little world. Not that this affects me anyway... I think.

Doesn't change the fact that the console's success is going to depend on the games. Speaking of which... is there any reason to get a PS4?

Quote from: Teawater on 28, May, 2013, 07:17:22 PM
@Regoin-locking? - If you are able to copy the game to your computer somehow, Couldn't you just modify the game's region value to match ones in your own region? 
If amateur hackers can break the protection, it won't be long before there's a "fix" available for everyone else who doesn't know how to do it. Microsoft are most likely aware of this, so I expect they would be pretty serious about the security. But then again, maybe not.

Rolina

If it proves a big enough problem for them, they may just do away with it, but they'd have to take one hell of a financial hit for that to happen.

Also, did I mention the Kinect is always on, and that the console won't function if you unplug it?  I dunno about you, but I happen to like gaming in my underwear.  I don't want any surprise skype calls or some other stupid crazy thing coming up and having someone seeing me in my skivvies.

Misery

...oh my. Now that you mention it, I do seem to remember hearing/reading that somewhere. But, err... geez, that's just plain stupid.