News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Golden Signatures of the Hacking Community

Started by Rolina, 20, January, 2013, 08:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

That's right, everyone, I'm finally moving out of beta for my signature project!  I've got pretty much everything I need now, and thus can begin officially opening up shop!  Now, there's several things you'll need to know before you get started.  I've sorted it all out in a table of contents for easier understanding.

When you want to request a signature, please fill out and post one of the following two applications.  You can only have one request open at a time, so don't spam a bunch of requests and expect to get more than one done.

For Character Cards (Please do not request a character and class card at the same time)
[size=11pt][b]Character Request[/b][/size]

[b][tt]Adept's Name:[/tt][/b]
[b][tt]Profile Picture:[/tt][/b]
[b][tt]Adept's Bio:[/tt][/b]
[b][tt]Element:[/tt][/b]
[b][tt]Fundament:[/tt][/b]
[b][tt]Build:[/tt][/b]
[b][tt]Innate Psynergy:[/tt][/b]
[b][tt]HP Rank:[/tt][/b]  [tt]HP Value:[/tt][/b]
[b][tt]PP Rank:[/tt][/b]  [tt]PP Value:[/tt][/b]
[b][tt]ATK Rank:[/tt][/b]  [tt]ATK Value:[/tt][/b]
[b][tt]DEF Rank:[/tt][/b]  [tt]DEF Value:[/tt][/b]
[b][tt]SPL Rank:[/tt][/b]  [tt]SPL Value:[/tt][/b]
[b][tt]WRD Rank:[/tt][/b]  [tt]WRD Value:[/tt][/b]
[b][tt]AGL Rank:[/tt][/b]  [tt]AGL Value:[/tt][/b]
[b][tt]LUK Rank:[/tt][/b]
[b][tt]Inventory:[/tt][/b]
(list of your inventory items, how many you have, and if they're equipped or not, as well as any pictures for original items you have)

For Class Cards (Please, only one class at a time, not a full class line at once.)
[b][size=11pt]Class Request[/size][/b]

[tt][b]Class Name:[/b][/tt]
[tt][b]Flavor Text:[/b][/tt]
[tt][b]Venus Djinn Needed:[/b][/tt]
[tt][b]Mercury Djinn Needed:[/b][/tt]
[tt][b]Mars Djinn Needed:[/b][/tt]
[tt][b]Jupiter Djinn Needed:[/b][/tt]
[tt][b]Psynergy:[/b][/tt]
(please list the psynergy name, element, type, and any pictures from original spells you have)

Rolina

An Introduction to Yourself
Portrait and Bio

The first part the signature is the one that's probably the most personal for you - your character's portrait and their Bio.  Of course, there's rules for the submission of each of them, so I will go over both of them here.

Portrait

Your portrait is the face you show the world - it's what people think of when they think of you.  What is needed for here is a picture of you as an adept, or a close approximation.  There are rules, though - the face must be at least 64x64 pixels in size, or I won't be able to make it look good.  Again, this time in bold for those who didn't get it the first time:  The face itself needs to be larger than 64x64.  That means the whole picture is much, much bigger.  The only exception is if it is specifically designed by an artist to work as a Dark Dawn profile pic.  The face and neck area should be easy to see - I don't have the skills to create the neck area when I insert it into the DD-style profile icon.  Also, it must be a solo picture on a white or transparent background.  This last part is very important - I am not going to go around and snip the background out of your picture.  If you must use a picture with a busy background, you will be asked to remove the background before I am willing to take the picture for your portrait.  There are many free image editing software out there, such as Gimp and Paint.NET, so you really don't have any excuse for this.  These signatures are time consuming, so I won't to have to deal with the minutia of figuring out what's background and what's not.

Bio

Your bio is a short description of you that you'd be likely to see in an in-game encyclopedia, such as the ones found in Dark Dawn.  As such, this cannot be your life story.  It needs to be short, sweet, and to the point, but try to get as much elaboration in there as you can.  If I come back to you, it means one of two things - 1, you have some extra space if you want to try and squeeze something else in - or 2, your bio is too big, and you'll have to trim it down.  Trimming a bio down can be something as simple as finding a smaller synonym for a word or two, or it could be as headache inducing as figuring out what to keep, what to axe, and what to alter.  When this happens, I will post what I was able to fit, and you can work on altering it to fit.

Rolina

Basis of Being
Element, Fundament, Build, and Innate Psynergy

Despite it's small size, that group of four icons tells a whole lot about what you're like as an adept, from your innate element, the types of spells you can cast, the types of weapons you can wield, and even what your innate psynergy is.  It's quite a bit of info, but luckily it's also rather simple to figure out.

Element of an Adept

The element of an adept determines the types of spells they can use innately, without the aid of djinn, their power with and resistance to the elements, as well as what classes are available to them.  Most adept teams are comprised of one member of each element.  Which element is which is rather simple - just follow the symbol.

Fundamental Alignment

Fundaments are a little bit more complicated, but still somewhat on the simple end of things.  Your fundament determines what types of spells you can use, and what supports you might expect to have in your various classes.  Here's a simple chart explaining the fundaments and how they'll relate to you:

Looking at myself for an example, I have a Greater Luna affinity, meaning that the types of spells I can cast are Bolt, Ice, Crystal, and Corrosive based spells, and that I'm really good with inflicting ailments and debuffs.  Simply choose the fundament that you think fits you best, and there you go!

Building a Better Adept

An adept's build shows off how they trained.  Physical adepts specialize more in weapons and physical attacks, while casters focus more on the raw power of psynergy instead.  Currently, there are six builds - 3 physical builds, and 3 caster builds.

Physical Builds
Warrior - can use Axes, Swords, Blades, and Maces
Fighter - can use Spears, Swords, Blades, and Bows.
Striker - can use Scythes, Swords, Blades, and Maces

Caster Builds
Hexer - can use Scythes, Maces, and Staves
Spellsword - can use Blades, Bows, and Staves
Magus - can use Maces, Ankhs, and Staves

Innate Spell

Last, but not least, is the adept's innate spell.  While there are many types of spells that an adept can learn outside of their class spells, their innate spell is likely the one they go to most outside of battle - one that they just know innately, without training.  This includes spells like Ivan's Mind Read and Isaac's Retreat.  While training can gain you other spells too, those are classified as "learned spells".  As an adept, you only have one Innate, and that's what's listed here.

Rolina

Growth of an Adept
Stat Ranks

This is where things begin to get a little complicated.  This is where you determine your stat ranks.  Stat Ranks are basically a rough gauge as to the overall strength of an adept, ignoring things such as class multipliers, equipment, and djinn stats.  Basically, this represents the growth of the adept themselves.

The Stats
There are Eight stats which are used in this signature, representing the eight stats used in my system.  They are:

Health
Psynergy Pool
Physical Attack
Physical Defense
Spellcasting Power
Spell Warding
Agility
Luck

How each of these stats is measured is different, largely depending on the stat itself.  I've provided a set of guides that should aid in determining what your stats should be.

Health (HP)
[spoiler]
Health, also known as Vitality and HP, is the measure of how efficiently you can take damage.  What do I mean?  Well, those with a higher Health are able to take proportionately less damage when confronted with the same attack in comparison to someone with lower health.  Melee Fighters, who are often in the front lines of combat, learn quickly how to roll with the punches, and thus have higher health than more Ranged units.  The values for health range from 846 to 702, and are based upon the Level 99 stat targets for the characters from TLA.  The range for stat ranks is as follows:

846 to 826
825 to 805
804 to 785
784 to 764
763 to 744
743 to 723
722 to 702[/spoiler]
Psynergy Pool (PP)
[spoiler]
Your Psynergy Pool, also known as Energy and PP, is essentially the energy you have with which to cast psynergy.  The lower it gets, the more exhausted you become, until you can no longer cast spells.  Adepts who cast spells often tend to have higher values, while those who don't tend to have lower values.  The values for Psynergy Pool range from 295 to 230.  The range for Stat Ranks is as follows:

295 to 286
285 to 277
276 to 268
267 to 258
257 to 249
248 to 240
239 to 230[/spoiler]
Physical Attack (ATK)
[spoiler]
Physical Attack, also known as Strength and ATK, is a measure of raw physical strength.  The stronger you can swing a weapon, the higher this value.  Physical Fighters tend to be the ones with the highest values here, and attackers are the highest of them.  Mages, on the other hand, tend to have lower values, as their focus is more on casting than physical combat.  The values for Physical Attack range from 399 to 337.  The range for Stat Ranks is as follows:

399 to 391
390 to 382
381 to 373
372 to 364
363 to 355
354 to 346
345 to 337[/spoiler]
Physical Defense (DEF)
[spoiler]
Physical Defense, also known as Durability and DEF, is a measure of an adepts resistance to physical damage.  The higher the value, the less damage they take from physical attacks.  Physical Fighters tend to be the ones with the highest values here, and tanks are the highest of them.  Mages, on the other hand, tend to have lower values, as they usually don't have a very high focus on raising physical endurance.  The values for Physical Defense range from 183 to 152.  The range for Stat Ranks is as follows:

183 to 179
178 to 175
174 to 170
169 to 166
165 to 161
160 to 157
156 to 152[/spoiler]
Spellcasting Power (SPL)
[spoiler]
Spellcasting Power, also known as Arcane Strength and SPL, is a measure of the strength of an adept's spells.  At higher values, spells tend to be more powerful, particularly spells with a focused power.  Mages tend to have the highest values here, particularly blasters, who specialize in offensive spellcasting.  Physical Fighters, on the other hand, tend to have lower values, as they must split their training between physical training and spellcasting.  The values for Spellcasting Power range from 412 to 321.  The range for Stat Ranks is as follows:

412 to 400
399 to 387
386 to 374
373 to 361
360 to 348
347 to 335
334 to 321[/spoiler]
Spell Warding (WRD)
[spoiler]
Spell Warding, also known as Arcane Defense and WRD, is a measure of the ability of an adept to ward of damage from spells.  The higher the value, the less damage they take when receiving spells, especially against spells with a focused power.  Mages tend to have the highest values, in particular Healers. Physical Fighters, on the other hand, tend to have lower values, due to their training being split between physical and casting.  The values for Spell Warding range from 191 to 158.  The range for Stat Ranks is as follows:

191 to 187
186 to 182
181 to 177
176 to 173
172 to 168
167 to 163
162 to 158[/spoiler]
Agility (AGL)
[spoiler]
Agility, also known as Speed and AGL, is a measure of an adept's speed of movement, dexterity, and reaction time.  The more nimble and quick an adept, the higher this value is.  Support and Attacking units tend to have higher values, while generalists, healers, and tanks tend to have power values.  The values for Agility range from 430 to 339.  The range for Stat Ranks is as follows:

430 to 418
417 to 405
404 to 392
391 to 379
378 to 366
365 to 353
352 to 339[/spoiler]

An Adept's Overall Average
Before we take a look at luck, which works differently than all the other stats, we need to look at the overall rating of an adept.  This is done by finding the average ratio between the first seven stats.  This is something you won't have to worry about finding, but rather something I will use to make sure you're not too powerful or too weak.  What do I mean?  Well, it's very easy to get this stuff wrong - even I did when working out stats for myself.  I wound up too strong, and had to drop certain stats in order to fit within a certain sweetspot.  What is this sweetspot?  Well...

This is the measure of range.  When your stats ranks are averaged, it should range between a 53.33% and 46.67% value.  Anywhere in that sweet spot is considered good.  So what happens when you're too weak?  Garet happens.  Notice that Garet in the example is the only adept who has an average rank of D.  Had Garet come to me with these values, I'd have told him to raise a few ranks until he reached that golden spot in the middle.  So don't be like Garet, but also be wary of Mia - Mia, while technically averaging as a C rank, does so at a rate of 54%, a bit too high for what you want to reach.  Likely, Mia would have been an easy fix of shifting her stats down very slightly.  Her ranks themselves would likely be unchanged, but the scale within the ranks would have dropped every so slightly.  This is something that, while you have to keep in mind, you don't have to worry about too much.  I'll do the work for you here, adjusting specific values so as to get you into that sweet spot.

Luck (LUK)
[spoiler]
Luck, also known as Ailment Resist and LUK, is a measure of an adept's general luck and ability to avoid trouble.  Unlike every other stat, luck is measured not by an adept's actual statistical value (which is determined by build), but rather by the Adept's Base Class Luck Multiplier.  Unlike other stats, luck depends entirely on the individual, and follows no clear trend.  Luckier people have higher values, unlucky people have lower values, simple as that.  The values for Luck range from 130% to 70%.  The Values for Stat Ranks are as follows:

130%
120%
110%
100%
90%
80%
70%[/spoiler]

Stat Ranks

Finally, we get to the part this whole post has been about - the actual stat ranks themselves.  How you post these is pretty simple - you pick both a rank and value within that rank for each stat.  Why both?  Telling me the rank tells me what you want the stat to be, and telling me the value tells me what you prioritize.  In doing so, when I tweak these values so as to hit that sweet spot area, I have a better idea of how you want your stats to look.  Speaking of how they look, here's a sample of the stat cards from the cast of The Lost Age:

These are actually pretty typical of what a stat spread might look like, though obviously some characters (Garet) have values too low overall.  So in the end, what might your spread look like?  Well, take a look at mine:

You can easily expect yours to look similar when done.  While there are some very high and low values, in the end everything roughly balances out.

Spellcasting Power and Spell Warding?  In MY Lost Age?!
It's more likely than you think!  Joking aside, the values for these were generated based upon two things - first, their role in the party while in their base class, second was their Build, and third was their PP stat.  Of course, this means that these values are close approximations, since there is no 'real thing'.

Why are Spellcasting and Warding Values higher than Attack and Defense?
Well, simply put, as a means of balance.  It is far easier to improve attack and defense with weapons and armor than it is to improve Spellcasting and Warding.  This means that when fully equipped, a Warrior will likely have higher attack and defense than a fully equipped Mage's Spellcasting and Warding stats.  This is the same reason as to why Defense and Resistance have such low values, period - simply put, there's more ways to boost your defenses than there are ways to boost your offenses.

What are you trying to pull with Isaac's stats?  My Isaac has way higher Attack!
Your Isaac is fully equipped, decked out with djinn, and is taking advantage of class multipliers.  These things, as well as Level Up Variance, have absolutely no impact on stat ranks.  Rather, what I look at is their Level 99 Stat Targets, and ONLY their Level 99 Stat Targets.  No lower targets, growth rates, equipment, or anything else is considered.  This is the reason that Sheba has a higher attack rating than Ivan, despite the fact that in the games this is likely never to occur - simply put, Ivan has far better equipment options available to him.  If you were to unequip the two of all items and djinn, though, you'll see that, on average, these ranks hold true when comparing the two.

Wait, so we aim for a average of C?  Does that mean we're Rank C adepts?
What?  No, not even!  Your Rank as an Adept (discussed in the Genetics Supplemental Topic) has only one meaning:  What level you stop learning spells.  It's also not part of the card at all, and is purely an RP kind of thing.  Most likely, you will be a Rank S adept, with no limit to how late you can learn spells (though no spells are actually learned beyond level 56 anyways).  Rather, the purpose of Adept Ranks isn't for PCs, but rather to give a greater variety of NPCs.  However, if you wish to be a lower ranked adept, or even an inept, that's entirely your call.  Just note that there is nowhere on these character cards that Adept Rank will be mentioned, listed, or referenced.

Rolina

Equipped for Adventure
Inventory

By far one of the easiest to figure out, but longest to get done, is the inventory of an adept.  This is where you'll post what your signature equips are, as well as other things you commonly have on your person.  Note, however, that this does NOT include items you may find on a journey, but rather things you're likely to have on your person at all times.  If you go on a journey with a full inventory, you'll have nowhere to store your findings, so keep that in mind!

Inventory Spaces

This is where your inventory is located.  Any item, weapon, armor, or accessory that has a sprite made for it can be placed in here.  Failing that, you can put placeholder equipment there - usually the closest equivalent weapon or armor.  Now, this part is important - I am not responsible for making your stuff.  This means that you cannot just request items willy nilly - rather, if you are at all able, please provide any original sprites for your items.  This is not needed if this is a dark dawn item, as I have all the sprites for those, but anything else will require you to post your icons along with your application.

Types of Equipment
There are eight different types of equipment you can have - though you can only have one of these at a time.  That means no equipping two pairs of boots or wielding both a Vulcan Axe and a Disc Axe.  The types of equipment available are:

For Physical Fighters:
[ Weapon ] - One of the weapons types available to your build
[ Helmet ] or [  Hat   ] or [  Cap   ] or [ Crown  ] - Head Protection
[ Armor  ] or [Clothing] - Body Protection
[ Shield ] or [ Gloves ] - Arm Protection
[ Boots  ] or [Greaves ] - Leg Protection
[UndrShrt] - Undershirt
[  Ring  ] - Ring
[  Misc  ] - Misc Accessory (Ex:  Umbra Goggles, Trident from TLA)

For Spell Casters:
[ Weapon ] - One of the weapons types available to your build
[Circlet ] or [  Hat   ] or [  Cap   ] or [ Crown  ] - Head Protection
[  Robe  ] or [Clothing] - Body Protection
[ Armlet ] or [ Gloves ] - Arm Protection
[ Boots  ] - Leg Protection
[UndrShrt] - Undershirt
[  Ring  ] or [ Sigil  ] - Ring
[  Misc  ] - Misc Accessory (Ex:  Umbra Goggles, Trident from TLA)

You do not have to have one of each of these equipped, and apart from that you can have pretty much whatever you want, so long as you remember that you can only hold up to 30 of a consumable item.  You can carry extra equipment too, just be sure you specify which ones are equipped!

Can I use GBA sprites?
No.  This particular signature style requires a Dark Dawn style sprite usage.  If you want to use an item or spell exclusive to The Broken Seal or The Lost Age, you're going to need to create a Dark Dawn version of that sprite.  Dark Dawn sprites are 24x24 px in size, with a transparent background.  Unlike GBA icons, they do not require a 1px border around them.  As there are no plans on making these into actual game sprites, you do not have to worry about any palette limitations.

Rolina

Class Basics
Djinn Requirements and Classes

Seemingly easy, yet deceptively tricky is the class requirements and description.  This has one really easy part, and one really annoying part.  However, there are some tricks to make it easier.

Djinn Requirement

This part is really simple.  Merely state how many djinn are required to obtain the class in question.  For a list of classes and their djinn requirements, use the following guide:

For Venus Adepts
[spoiler][/spoiler]
For Mars Adepts
[spoiler][/spoiler]
For Jupiter Adepts
[spoiler][/spoiler]
For Mercury Adepts
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Class Name and Description

THIS is the tricky part - actually naming your classes, as well as providing a very brief description.  I mean it when I say that - there isn't much room for more than flavor text on these descriptions.  I will not name your classes for you, nor will I give them flavor text - that is entirely on you.  Requests for class banners will not be accepted if you have not given both the name and flavor text for the class.

Rolina

Spells of the Trade
Psynergy and Classes

Next to stats, this is probably the second trickiest part of the process - actually providing your spell selection for the class in question.  I have made numerous threads in regards to this process, and request that you please visit one of those in order to figure out how you want this to look.  This process needs to be finished, and needs to follow the rules provided in those threads before it will be accepted.  If a class request does not meet this requirement, it will be turned down until it does.

Of Spells and Placeholders

Like with inventory, any and all original spells must have their icons provided for use - I am not in the business of making everyone's icons for them.  However, unlike with items, you don't have to provide a close-enough spell for the placeholder if you don't want to. Rather, so long as you provide the element of the spell, a blank icon with the appropriate elemental bullet will take its place, signifying that there is a spell there, but the icon has yet to be created for it. 

Can I use GBA sprites?
No.  This particular signature style requires a Dark Dawn style sprite usage.  If you want to use an item or spell exclusive to The Broken Seal or The Lost Age, you're going to need to create a Dark Dawn version of that sprite.  Dark Dawn sprites are 24x24 px in size, with a transparent background.  Unlike GBA icons, they do not require a 1px border around them.  As there are no plans on making these into actual game sprites, you do not have to worry about any palette limitations.

Rolina

Waiting List
I will only take on so much work at once - after all, I've got work (and soon school) to go to.  I can't spend all my time working on these things, so there's a limit of five orders at once.  One person can only hold one spot at the same time, and remember that the Adept and Classes count as separate orders.

• -----
  • -----
  • -----
  • -----
  • -----

Completed Adept Cards
This is where I post a list of adept cards that I have completed.  The five most recent will be posted for everyone to see in order of completion, while those beyond the most recent five will be spoiler tagged in order to save space.

• -----
  • -----
  • -----
  • -----
[spoiler]
  • -----
  • -----
  • -----
  • -----
  • -----
[/spoiler]

Completed Class Cards
This is where I put the class cards I've completed.  Again, the five most recently completed cards will take the visible spots, while those done earlier will be spoiler tagged in order to save space.
  • -----
  • -----
  • -----
  • -----
  • -----
[spoiler]
  • -----
  • -----
  • -----
  • -----
  • -----
[/spoiler]

Rolina

Additional Notes
Keep in mind that I may upgrade the icons used later on.  Should this occur, I will notify everyone with a status update to come and get the new version of their character cards.  Should this happen and I miss yours, please let me know.  While I do preform some sprite work, I am not responsible for creating the spritework used in this project.  You are asked to please provide your own whenever able.

Credits
I couldn't have done this alone.  I have members of other sites to thank for the fonts used, as well as various other sprite artists out there for their own contributions, including:  Misery and members from other sites.  Be sure to give them your thanks as well - without them, much of this wouldn't be possible.

Additional Workers
On the off chance that other people show interest in creating these, and show me that they are capable of pulling if off to my specifications, they will be added here.  If one of the people listed here provided you with the product you asked for, it is to be treated as though it was from me - be sure to thank them for their hard work.

• -----
  • -----
  • -----
  • -----
  • -----

Rolina

Well, that's it - this thing is officially up and running!

Most of what you need to know is here, but I have created some supplemental threads to help with the application process.  Links to them are as follows:

Questionarre to help determine your traits as an adept if you don't know what you'd be like.
In Depth Guide for setting up yourself as an adept.  Covers everything up to Dual Element classes.
Other miscellaneous information to help you create a background for yourself as an adept.

Also, if you need assistance in creating DD-style icons, you can find Items Here and Spells Here.  All icons need to be 24x24 pixels with a transparent background - I'll take care of the rest, just make sure you provide icons for your original stuff!

Go ahead and apply when you're ready.

Crystal Sonata

I would have asked about this long ago, but it seems a bit intimidating....especially since all of your content alone takes up the normal space that a whole page of posts would....So basically, I need to provide:

A stat description.
A name.
And a character picture.

That last one is fairly intimidating as my graphics skill is less than acceptable >.<.
Anything I post here is solely my opinion, and is not proven fact, unless I specify otherwise.

If I say anything that offends you, grow a set.

ElectricArcher

Quote from: Takumi on 13, April, 2013, 02:01:07 AM
That last one is fairly intimidating as my graphics skill is less than acceptable >.<.

Hah! I know exactly what you mean.
It would be so awesome to have one of these signatures, but that image is a real showstopper. My graphics skills aren't just bad, they're nonexistent. :/

Misery

Just a heads up for you guys, Rolina is having some technical difficulties, such as her computer giving up the ghost. While she can still get online (somehow), I doubt she has access to her signature assets, and probably won't for a few months.

Anyway, if you want character portraits to use for this, you can PM me a visual description and I might try to make some. I probably won't be in a hurry about it though, since it's unlikely they will come to use anytime soon.

ElectricArcher

Ah, yes, I recall reading some snippet about Rolina's technical difficulties. It's very unfortunate, I'm sorry to hear it. If you're out there, Role, here's hoping for a swift resolution!

Misery, I may just take you up on that portrait offer, thanks! I'll have to start planning out a suitable description...
Definitely no rush, though. I have great patience for this sort of thing, especially since you'd be doing me a very generous favor.

Rolina

Quote from: Takumi on 13, April, 2013, 02:01:07 AM
And a character picture.

No it's not.  Do an image search, fine a close analogue you want to use with a simple background, and bam, done.  That's all you need.  I'll crop it and align it as needed.

Or I would if I hadn't lost all my data.  Including those fonts.  Sadly, this is on indefinite hiatus until I'm able to rebuild my assets.

ElectricArcher

First things first: Welcome back, Role!

Quote from: Rolina on 20, May, 2013, 01:58:30 AM
Or I would if I hadn't lost all my data.  Including those fonts.  Sadly, this is on indefinite hiatus until I'm able to rebuild my assets.

Aww... I'm very sorry to hear that. I can't even begin to imagine how much effort it took to build up all of your infrastructure.  :sad:
Good luck with the data recovery process. I'm not sure how I could help, but I'll offer anyway - if there's anything I can do, let me know.

Aile~♥

Normally, I'd make the rather unhelpfully late suggestion that you keep a backup of all your stuff. But since both your hard drives apparently failed simultaneously, that argument is invalid. I'd say it was probably something your OS did if both drives went at the same time.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

lordnitemare

I might be able to help...as long as you have Photoshop or something similar along those lines, don't know about Paint or Gimp though. When I first saw your signature thread, I thought 'Woo. Cool. Where did she get those fonts?' And so I searched. By pure chance I happened upon a thread you posted in another forum (wasn't looking for it as such, just pure chance), where a reply gave a to-scale .png image of the fonts used. So I took a screenie, and spent the next day or two on a font site, re-creating all the characters of the main font (the one used in the encyclopaedia and your sig), pixel by pixel. Then I spent another day adjusting the font kern (that is the space between the letters) till I got it right.

If you want the font, I'll give it to you, it's the right size for what you need, you don't need to adjust it, but you might have to adjust the line spacing for what you want. Also, as long as you have layers, you can get the shading thing as well, since I didn't bother with it on the font itself.

I don't have the 'heading' font, just the main entry ones, but I think they are very very similar, so you can probably use it, just bold it.
If Knowledge is Power and Power Corrupts, Study Hard and be Evil!

If Twilight said breathing was uncool, 98% of teenagers would be dead. Post this if you are one of the 2% Laughing...

Rolina

I've got paint.NET.  Works really well.  The fonts were made by a friend, but I've gotta get them back due to losing pretty much all my data.  There's also quite a few changes that are gonna be done, so this is on hiatus until I fully recover everything.