Golden Sun Hacking Community
July 23, 2018, 02:11:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few compositions  (Read 13224 times)
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 02:41:39 AM »

Ah, thanks for the clarification.  Anywho, if we can get things converted to the TLA soundfont, I wouldn't mind seeing if other games done into it.  I'd love to hear Sally Beacon and Clash With the Librarian from Suikoden Tierkreis done in the TLA soundfont.

View Profile WWW
Majora
Venus Clan

Coins: 0

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2014, 03:59:03 AM »

Updated October, 2014 with the 'Enter Sol Sanctum' piece.
Let me know if I should look into reworking existing Golden Sun songs like that in the future.
View Profile
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2015, 07:32:12 AM »

I like your work and have a question:
How do you make this?

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile
Majora
Venus Clan

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2015, 04:54:02 AM »

Sorry for the delay, only just saw your question.
I use both hardware and software for audio production and processing. Sampling is a key factor, as well, I sample just about everything at some point for the performance aspect, including sequenced parts such as hi-hat riffs and the like. Sampling is very important because I like a nice large, layered quality to my mixes, so things like snares, bass drums, and other percussive elements will often be comprised of several individual samples from my own kit, other people's loops, synthesizers, and a variety of other sources to create unique samples.

Here's an example, layering two simple samples together to form a more interesting instrument:
http://f.cl.ly/items/0n00081L3S3a3J3b0q0x/Layering%20Demonstration.mp3

Another key element is the importance of arrangement to a song, which I find often dictates the direction of the mix later on in terms of mastering decisions. Production-wise, I tend to start in with a basic song demo or a set of guide sounds that evoke a particular mood to get things moving. It's often a matter of throwing ideas at a song until a theme or concept comes together that can be focused as you go. The piece can then be presented to session musicians or vocalists once it's deemed acceptable, which is what was done for that last song I posted here, the Sol Sanctum one.

If you'd like the dry details, here's a short list of the most used software and equipment:

Synths:
ARP Odyssey
Oberheim OB8
EDP Wasp
Moog Minimoog
ARP 2600

Samplers:
EMU EMAX II
EMU Emulator II/III
AKAI S1100 (16MB)
AKAI S3000XL (32MB)

Reverbs/Delays:
Eventide SP2016
Roland Space Echo

Recording:
AKAI ADAM DR1200 12-track digital multitrack
AR100 monitors
Various Drawmer units, including DL221 compressor/limiter and DS201 dual gate
Zoom 9010
Alesis Quadraverb
Korg DVP-1 vocoder (it's more of an effects unit than a vocoder)
Yamaha SPX 90
Manley stereo 10DV limiter/compressor

Software:
Pro Tools 10
Ableton 9
FL Studio 11
Various Waves plugins

Kit:
Yamaha recording custom:
Bass drum, 57cm
Noble & Cooley snare drum, 36cm
Zildjian hi-hats, 14"/36cm
Zildjian crash ride, 22"/56cm
Zildjian China boy low, 18"/45cm
'K' splash cymbal, 8"/20cm
'K' medium thin dark crash, 18"/45cm

Drum machines:
Roland TR808, TR909, Emu Drumulator, and other various drum machines

For strings and orchestra, EastWest libraries get things done fairly well. I often merge individual samples or recorded parts from libraries in with strings sampled from other sources like classical music videos from YouTube and such for a fuller sound.

For all the music posted here, I've also made it a point to use as many samples from Golden Sun as possible. I'm not a big fan of reworking a song in a way completely and entirely removed from its original form, so using elements from existing Golden Sun music is a key element as well.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:06:26 AM by Majora » Logged
View Profile
Luna_blade
Luna Clan

Great Member

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2015, 03:36:04 PM »

Wow I didn't expect that big of a reply. It's pretty impressive what you've got.
I mainly asked because one of my brothers is very interested in making music with the computer.

So you actually record real instruments and sample them most of the time?

Here's an example, layering two simple samples together to form a more interesting instrument:
http://f.cl.ly/items/0n00081L3S3a3J3b0q0x/Layering%20Demonstration.mp3
That is really nice.

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile
Majora
Venus Clan

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2015, 07:53:30 PM »

Yep, a large part of what I do focuses on the aspect of performance, using both electronic and acoustic elements. On one hand, I might like the rigidity of a sequenced percussion part, whereas I might also like to layer in a few loops of actual kit as well for the small dynamic changes and inconsistencies, the human element:
http://f.cl.ly/items/2G2k0b2Y1X112q3A092G/Perc%20Demonstration.wav

For that purpose, the computer can be just as much an instrument as any other 'real' instrument like a piano or a guitar. It isn't like either of those instruments just play themselves, it's the musician that sits down and gets something out of it. The computer takes away (and introduces) a bit of the learning curve involved in learning how to play an instrument well, allowing you to take a little more time to really work and develop a song far further than you could if you just had some guitars, bass, drums, and a microphone. I think it's a question of finding the right balance between the electronic aspect done on the computer end and the recorded elements that makes the difference between an interesting production and the kind of 'computer music' that people sequence and blast out on a whim in a few hours from the bedroom, which does tend to give electronic music a somewhat unfairly rough reputation.

I'd recommend he sit down with a straightforward DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) like Ableton Live or FL Studio and just play around for awhile, the sounds should come together after a few hours of playing around with the knobs. I recommend he learn his way around a simple synthesizer to learn the basic Oscillator > Filter > ADSR > LFO chain of command, which is consistent for most digital and hardware synths. FL Studio has a very straightforward 1 oscillator plugin called 'Minisynth', I think it comes with the program, (their demo version of the program is basically fully-functional) it just has an Oscillator, a (kind of quirky) filter, and a simple tempo-synced LFO. That would go a long way toward understanding the basics of a synthesizer, instead of jumping in immediately with a monster like the ARP 2600...
Spoiler for Hidden:

A lot of audio-related things like that aren't all that complicated once you've sat down and gotten a feel for it, a lot of it is just learning small basics and building up a wealth of knowledge as you go, but you can imagine it would be a little overwhelming if you jump in with something like that without knowing what does what. May as well teach someone to swim by boating them out into the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and tossing them in.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 07:56:31 PM by Majora » Logged
View Profile
Luna_blade
Luna Clan

Great Member

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2015, 05:29:46 AM »

For that purpose, the computer can be just as much an instrument as any other 'real' instrument like a piano or a guitar. It isn't like either of those instruments just play themselves, it's the musician that sits down and gets something out of it. The computer takes away (and introduces) a bit of the learning curve involved in learning how to play an instrument well, allowing you to take a little more time to really work and develop a song far further than you could if you just had some guitars, bass, drums, and a microphone.
Pretty interesting.
I think it's a question of finding the right balance between the electronic aspect done on the computer end and the recorded elements that makes the difference between an interesting production and the kind of 'computer music' that people sequence and blast out on a whim in a few hours from the bedroom, which does tend to give electronic music a somewhat unfairly rough reputation.
Yeah, I see that a lot to, that some people think electronic is bad.
I'd recommend he sit down with a straightforward DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) like Ableton Live or FL Studio and just play around for awhile, the sounds should come together after a few hours of playing around with the knobs. I recommend he learn his way around a simple synthesizer to learn the basic Oscillator > Filter > ADSR > LFO chain of command, which is consistent for most digital and hardware synths. FL Studio has a very straightforward 1 oscillator plugin called 'Minisynth', I think it comes with the program, (their demo version of the program is basically fully-functional) it just has an Oscillator, a (kind of quirky) filter, and a simple tempo-synced LFO. That would go a long way toward understanding the basics of a synthesizer, instead of jumping in immediately with a monster like the ARP 2600...
He currently uses Magix music maker, which makes it pretty easy for him with all the built-in samples and stuff.
But he likes your suggestions.

View Profile
Majora
Venus Clan

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2015, 10:51:11 PM »

I've been hearing about that program lately, it's one of the few DAWs I know next to nothing about. Its interface looks like a more colorful Pro Tools. What does it do, does it support VSTs? Does it have a mixer?
View Profile
MaxiPower
Feed Me Coins!!
Venus Clan

Great Member

Coins: 1

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2015, 11:45:56 PM »

Keep up the good work Majorica, only hearing these tunes now for the first time.
View Profile
Majora
Venus Clan

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2015, 11:49:16 PM »

Thank you, glad you like them.
View Profile
Majora
Venus Clan

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2015, 04:22:23 AM »

Added two pieces, 'Climb The Lighthouse' and 'Ice Dungeon', May, 2015
View Profile
Majora
Venus Clan

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2017, 03:14:16 AM »

9/23/2017: Updated with a quick piece in the style of Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Wrote this piece for a short video trailer in the works for one of the Golden Sun Decor Minecraft mods.

Villain Encounter
https://d26dzxoao6i3hh.cloudfront.net/items/2P1I3C3N2F0S0k1y2V0d/music.wav
View Profile
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
July 21, 2018, 09:19:06 PM
Salanewt: Time to upload that "EXP gain when KO'd" patch I made a month ago.
July 21, 2018, 09:18:48 PM
Salanewt: Oh hey, the site's back up!
July 18, 2018, 10:49:52 PM
roger: I can post but it goes to an error page when I submit.
July 18, 2018, 05:24:12 PM
zman9000: Site is back WOO!
May 09, 2018, 12:35:37 AM
KyleRunner: The "Start In" field is not editable... I'll try making new shortcuts
May 08, 2018, 09:51:08 PM
Fox: If all else fails, you canmake new Shortcuts to do the same thing.
May 08, 2018, 09:49:53 PM
Fox: Export Properties > Shortcut (Tab) > Target / Start In ; Target (for Export) should be: (filename) 0 , and for Import: (filename) 1
May 08, 2018, 08:52:00 PM
KyleRunner: I can't change the path in properties menu...
May 08, 2018, 01:27:19 AM
Fox: You may need to edit something in properties, though... so it uses the exe file in the same directory.
May 08, 2018, 01:24:59 AM
Fox: It is suppose to be a shortcut, yes.
May 03, 2018, 11:48:05 PM
KyleRunner: Fox, the "export" function in your text editor is just a shortcut... Could you please fix it?
May 02, 2018, 09:53:45 PM
KyleRunner: I come here everyday. I'm working on a Portuguese translation, and the people here help me a lot.
May 02, 2018, 08:56:07 AM
Drake baku: My feel as well, I posted a little as well since my return, but silence was all that followed... At least the forum is a great source for data when hacking GS/ GS2, currently looking for something I have read a long time ago cause my PP recovery psy is not working
May 01, 2018, 09:58:04 AM
Fox: I am thinking a lot of this might be because of Discord?
May 01, 2018, 09:56:08 AM
Fox: Yeah, this forum is more dead than ever before.  February and April have 0 new topics. (All other months prior have more.) And March has lowest number of new posts. (It'd be dumb to count the very first month this site was created.)
April 25, 2018, 09:02:13 PM
Fox: Yes. The best tool is a hex editor. Well.... VBA, VBA-SDL-H, no$gba Debugger, GBATEK, and my documentation.... to use these to learn how the code/data works. Best method because it maximizes your editing ability... and then there is my program gsmagic that I was working on. Still in its early stages, though. (Even after year(s).)
April 25, 2018, 04:21:58 PM
Xendrox D: *exept tla editor.
April 25, 2018, 04:21:29 PM
Xendrox D: is there any other tool for hacking gs?
April 23, 2018, 09:26:27 PM
Atrius: Rarely, but not never.
April 23, 2018, 08:01:48 AM
Drake baku: Can it be, the god who created the editor, atrius. I heard you never came back online here anymore

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise