News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Locating Hex Values In Memory Viewer

Started by Salanewt, 27, July, 2009, 12:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Hello everyone. As many of you probably know by now, there are a few of us working on hacking a game. However, I would like to ask a question or two about locating data...

I am aware that I can locate data from the ROM section of Memory Viewer if I remove the '08' from the beginning before searching for the offset in a HEX editor, but I was wondering... Is there any way to locate the data in the ROM section from another section of Memory Viewer? I would like to try to find this out because we know a bit of data already, but hardly any of it is from the ROM section, and we have no idea how to find it.

I also have another question... Does anybody know what the section after the ROM section is in Memory Viewer (09000000)?

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice day.
:MercurySet:  :MercuryDjinni:  

This post has been edited by Salanewt on Aug 27 2009, 12:22 PM
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

08000000-09FFFFFF is all area for the ROM. A 16 MB ROM will only fill to 08FFFFFF, but a 32 MB ROM will need all of that space.

I've told you my method for finding data in the ROM before here.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

Oh yes, I had forgotten about the method, sorry, and thank you.

Also, thank you for telling me what that extra space is for. Unfortunately, I do not know how to access it in a HEX editor, oh well.

Have a nice day.
:MercurySet:  :MercuryDjinni:  
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Now, to post my long delayed post that I should have made ages ago... but just to make sure all the questions are answered... here we go:

Quote08000000-09FFFFFF is all area for the ROM. A 16 MB ROM will only fill to 08FFFFFF, but a 32 MB ROM will need all of that space.

I understand, M&L:SS is 16 MB ROM.

QuoteI've told you my method for finding data in the ROM before here.

I like that method... breakpoint on found RAM data... and reading the assembly... the address of a register. (and that the register to look at is given in an ldr(/b/h) code.

Example:

ldr (rd) (r) #0

The value in the offset of (r) + #0. goes into (rd) register.

QuoteUnfortunately, I do not know how to access it in a HEX editor, oh well.

Maybe you should try looking at a 32 MB ROM.

~P.S. - Yes, I realize Salanewt posted that over a year ago, back when we were first learning all this stuff...

Edit: Though, I bet all these questions were answered already... but... if you have any additional questions... feel free to ask.

Then again, I have a question of my own... How do you find the Enemy Database in Bowser's Inside Story US version? The Japanese version... as it is.. seems to be not linked to in the file system... but was found... unfortunately... not found in US version. I take it, they store it a different way.. oh well.. are there any tricks to finding it... like in RAM??... since there apparently isn't an SDL-H version of the DS...
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)