News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Elemental Levels and Class Question

Started by VanishMantle, 03, August, 2013, 12:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanishMantle

I am gearing up to hack GS1 again but this time I am aiming to do what I had initially wanted to do. With that in mind I was wondering is there a way to make each character's elemental levels equal? The reason I was wondering is because I want to have each character to be able to use Psynergy equally if that makes sense. i tried changing the values in the editor though I noticed the class changes did not work out to well. I could just adjust the values with Gear but I figured I would ask here first.

Apologies in advance if this makes no sense as I have not slept in 24 hours. Thanks in advance btw.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Quoteis there a way to make each character's elemental levels equal
Yes, set them in the party editor. When you check the status screen in game, they are equal. If I am correct, some elements may take priority over others, though? (Even if the numbers are exactly the same...)

Quote from: Kide in The Class Hacking Topicif you keep Party Members levels intact, as in 54 3 2 1, a tie will never occur. But if you were to change those to something like 54 4 4 4, or 50 50 50 50, ties would certainly be possible. And from what I tested, the actual tie-breaking criterion is Venus > Mercury > Mars > Jupiter

QuoteI want to have each character to be able to use Psynergy equally
Do you mean that no psynergy should be devoted to any one character? And that any character can access every class the others can access with the same amount of effort?

Quotei tried changing the values in the editor though I noticed the class changes did not work out to well.
If this was more specific, it could help. Just saying that the more information you post, the better the answer you'll get. (Or something like that.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

VanishMantle

Sorry I wrote that post on like 24 hours no sleep and as such my mind was just everywhere else. Hopefully I can detail what I mean better.

What I meant is that My new mod I am designing it to where I want the player to have as much freedom as possible with the characters. Like for instance Isaac can say cast Ply and get the same results as Mia and to that effect I would like Mia to be able to say Cast Ragnarok and do just as well as Isaac could if he were to cast it. As for the classes I want a bit more freedom in selecting classes so Players could potentially have Isaac become a Pure Mage or something to that affect.

I had made all the values equal to 54 but I noticed that I got a lot of the Tri-Element Classes. I could just rework the classes around this but I was hoping there was some kind of alternate method I could implement.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteI had made all the values equal to 54 but I noticed that I got a lot of the Tri-Element Classes. I could just rework the classes around this but I was hoping there was some kind of alternate method I could implement.
In order to not get tri-elemental classes, I think two elements have to be at level 0. In fact, I recommend making all four elements level 0 for all characters so that you should have access to each base class.

Not sure if anything else would be broken or not with this method, but I would have to think a bit more.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

The issue I can think of is that characters with all 0 in elements would probably get put in the NPC class. But I guess you could just edit that class.

So everyone will have the exact same class selection? That's pretty interesting. I'd recommend giving them all unique eqipment options, so you're not essentially walking around with 4 clones of the same character.

Rolina

Notably different stat growths would also be something you want to look in to.  It'd help to give each character their own niche.

VanishMantle

I had plans to do just that I just wanted the characters to be a bit more flexible and get players to try new things out. I will for sure try the things you guys suggested out for sure. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Rolina

Flexible is one thing - generic and samey is something else entirely.  If everyone's a clone of everyone else, then... well, what's the point of having different characters?

Between stat growths and weapons, you can help make it so that even though they all have access to all classes, some characters are better with certain classes than with others.  It helps make them a bit more... flavorful, so to speak.

VanishMantle

Quote from: Rolina on 05, August, 2013, 11:37:34 PM
Flexible is one thing - generic and samey is something else entirely.  If everyone's a clone of everyone else, then... well, what's the point of having different characters?

Between stat growths and weapons, you can help make it so that even though they all have access to all classes, some characters are better with certain classes than with others.  It helps make them a bit more... flavorful, so to speak.

Yeah I have been keeping that in mind for sure. I should have a preview up soon of the mod if you want to review it or give some advice.

Rolina

Just make sure you're not using my Class Template as a base.  Dunno what happened, but the file is corrupted, so it kinda screws up your rom.  With my old compy dead, I have no way to replace the template without completely redoing it from scratch, and that's not happening until we get keyboard support.

Misery

I'm kind of curious about how you will solve some of the issues that will probably appear with this, as the class system assumes there is always a dominant element. When everyone is elementally neutral, this system might get pretty unwieldy.

Take the example of dual elemental classes. Give Isaac with level 0 in all elements a Mercury djinni and a Venus djinni. He can now access the Venus aligned Mercury classes. Give him another Venus djinni, and suddenly Venus is dominant instead, putting him in a whole different class line. This is something you must adress when making classes, otherwise some combinations will become invalid for class sorting. Unless you want to hack the class sorting code itself, I guess.

It will be interesting to see if and how you can make it work.

Rolina

Well, this does give him the opportunity to build all the classes with GS' stat issues in mind.  Considering offensive mages are a joke due to lack of statistical support, I can totally see classes being overall more able to take better advantage of EPAs and the like.

VanishMantle

I was considering Narrowing the number of classes down and seeing how that impacted the end game but I am still toying around with some things. I haven't had too much time to work on it as I have college and trying to speed run games at the moment.