News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Changing the Current leader of the party (visible on the field screen)

Started by d@n, 09, August, 2013, 10:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d@n

I know there are codes to do so, which atrius has made in the past ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PLffZyGEjj8 for example).

But I am wondering if there is a way to change the field character, in a manner that can be saved. Such as when Jenna becomes the leader, temporarily at the start of the game.  I know there is was a debug function that allowed so during development ,

but it isn't functional in the release version.

Misery

Is there a way? Most definitely.
Do I know how? Unfortunately not.

Somewhere within the dark reaches of the game's code, there is a function that determines which set of sprites should be used for the player character, either by an index number or a pointer. Were you brave enough to conquer the obstacles that would appear on a quest to find such a function, and wise enough to figure out the meaning of its algorithm, you might gain the power to change the appearance of the player character.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Someone should make a GSHC FAQ with this question in it...

(It is expected that you already know about the Memory viewer under VisualBoyAdvance's Tools.)

02000434 = GS1
02000454 = GS2

Change the value when switching rooms, unless using the Warp Menu, because otherwise, exits somehow disable themselves. Do note that the other characters may not work properly as expected, and some may even crash the game.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

d@n

Yeah I know about the memory viewer, it's locked off in my version though (i use vbalink I believe). Will look into it, ty!

Rolina

The main problem with something like this is that only Isaac and Felix really have all the sprites necessary for all the field stuff you do.  I think Jenna's missing a couple, and the rest just plain don't have the sprites.  If you do something like this, you've gotta get all the sprites for all the characters.  If you pull it off, it'll be freaking awesome - and to be honest, I really wish it was like that by default (either "choose party lead" like in Tales, or "Leftmost Leads" like in a few other games out there).

Any hacks that use all original characters should keep this in mind and make full sprite sheets for all playable characters.  Eventually, when the new editor is made, we might be able to take advantage of this little thing.

d@n

Quote from: Rolina on 11, August, 2013, 01:04:25 PM
The main problem with something like this is that only Isaac and Felix really have all the sprites necessary for all the field stuff you do.  I think Jenna's missing a couple, and the rest just plain don't have the sprites.  If you do something like this, you've gotta get all the sprites for all the characters.  If you pull it off, it'll be freaking awesome - and to be honest, I really wish it was like that by default (either "choose party lead" like in Tales, or "Leftmost Leads" like in a few other games out there).

Any hacks that use all original characters should keep this in mind and make full sprite sheets for all playable characters.  Eventually, when the new editor is made, we might be able to take advantage of this little thing.

It's too bad I have such a basic level of understanding when it comes to game code. I mean I understand the general terms, and all that. The biggest thing I ever done by myself was hex in an address (I pretty much used info from another guy's posting though haha) wherein I changed the settings menu to the Debug warp menu, when I clicked "settings" of course.

And yeah alot of old RPGS had that possible. Chrono trigger for example, it's possible in games like Final Fantasy Viii too but kind of glitchy for some events.

Rolina

The reason it's glitchy is exactly because of what I said - if they don't have the sprites needed for those animations, they won't load right.  You need to add new sprites for every type of animation for it to really work.  Yes, even the "Am I okay Dance" it the beginning of TLA.