News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Question about GS(TLA) hacking

Started by Luna_blade, 19, October, 2013, 01:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna_blade

This is my first post here and forgive me for being lazy and not looking up on these questions.

I'm planning to make or let other people make a golden sun hack which takes place before golden sun.
So i'm checking if it would be possible to hack, because I want it to feature some things which might unable to add.
I saw that TLA editor 0.5 beta was released, but does include a map editor?
Is it possible to edit the overworld? Thus making Angara accesible or expanding the borders of the map?
And the sprite of the continent map that opens when you press R?
16 is the number of heroes I want to be in the game (at the same time), is that possible?
I don't want that every character has 9 djinni's but 8. However 16*8= 128 and that that is 8*9= 72 so would it be possible to have 128 djinni's in the game?

For anyone interested in the story I could post what I have in this topic.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteI saw that TLA editor 0.5 beta was released, but does include a map editor?
It doesn't include tilemap editing.
QuoteIs it possible to edit the overworld?
Yes and no. There's currently no way to edit using any of the avialable tools/editors as far as I know. And I believe it is compressed, so using a hex editor by itself isn't recommended either. (Unless you decompress/compress the data.)

QuoteThus making Angara accesible or expanding the borders of the map?
I am not sure of the limits on the World Map at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could somehow expand it...?

Quote16 is the number of heroes I want to be in the game (at the same time), is that possible?
Unfortunately, in order to do that, you would need to edit a lot of stuff. There's just simply not room in RAM for all the character data unless you some how move things around. (Character RAM data includes name, stats, psynergy, items, djinn, status effects...) There may be plenty of other things you may need to modify as well.

QuoteI don't want that every character has 9 djinni's but 8. However 16*8= 128 and that that is 8*9= 72 so would it be possible to have 128 djinni's in the game?
20 djinn slots an element, * 4 elements = 80. I'm pretty sure this too, will take some modifying as well. The good news is that 32 djinn of each element fits perfectly in character RAM...

QuoteFor anyone interested in the story I could post what I have in this topic.
Okay.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Luna_blade

Thanks for the quick reply Teawater.

Hmmm, I if it would get too hard to hack the game, I could always make it with GM...

I have posted the general concept here:
http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2255.0
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"