News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Holbita here!

Started by Holbita, 11, November, 2013, 01:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holbita

Hi! I'm Holbita and I'm new at the forum, also english is not my mother language so I apologize in advance for whatever grammar or spelling error I will make.

I just have to say it, I'm amazed by what you have done here, wow. I'm a huge fan of the golden sun franchise since I first played the original game (more or less the same as everyone here, I pressume) and always hoped for more games based in this world, were they remasterizations, precuels (A friend of mime once fantacized about a game where you played as the sages sealing the alchemy in Mount. Aleph and the idea sounded pretty cool), secuels or a completely new game. So when I found this forum it was just what I was waiting for.

I have no idea of programming, but I've downloaded the editor and I'm trying to learn how to use it... so expect questions xD.

So... that pretty much sums it, glad to be here!

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Welcome to the forums, Holbita!

Your English is easy enough to understand, so don't worry about it. Even if you happen to misspell presume, prequels, and fantasized. (At least under US standards, anyway, US and UK English both have quite a number of differences, many of which I may not know about.)

As for the editor, Atrius isn't working on it anymore. I have made plans to attempt to work on a new Golden Sun editor, but I keep putting work on it off, so in case it never gets done enough to release, I decided not to make any official announcements.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Holbita

Hello Teawater! Thanks for the compliment, I try to write the best I can.

I'm sad to hear about Atrius and the editor, it was just really well done and I was hoping to see how it will evolve. Still relieved hearing about your plans for an attempt, whether you make it or not is good to see people still thinking about it so the project doesn't die.

PS: I'm not used to using .ips archives, so here is a question: may I use various .ips on the same rom? or would that create incoherencies within the game?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Yeah, it is sad. (Although many people probably miss it, Atrius's latest version was 0.5 Alpha, found in the News & Announcements forum.) Last I heard, he was working on another project called Forgotten Dreams, which I believe is going to be a game that will feature an editor.

Using various IPS files to the same ROM can create bugs. When considering the Repointing System in Atrius's Editor, one example would be if one patch repoints certain data to one location, and the other patch repoints different data to that same location, you'd get a problem. There may be some exceptions, though. Like if you are applying templates to data that doesn't repoint data to the same place or edit the same data.

For those who are simply wanting to play hacks, the simple answer is to always apply one IPS patch to a clean ROM.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)