News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Intro

Started by Wolf, 18, November, 2013, 08:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolf

Salutations... :Sweat:

You need a profile to post so I signed up for one.  :NeutralStar:

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Hello there, and welcome to GSHC! The Golden Social Hacking Community! Give your name, address, and number, and we'll get right with you in a bit. (Actually, don't, the forums and chatbox are good enough.)

Either way, we hope you enjoy the forums!
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Aile~♥

Hi! Sorry I'm late. This place is a bit of a ghost town now. Not even the moderator shows up anymore! It used to be fairly active once upon a time, but these days I don't see the members even lurking....
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Wolf

Thanks for the welcome.  Is there a way to contact someone capable of updating the websites' skin?

RagnarokEmissary

@Wolf: If there was, they probably left, just like everyone else.

Anyway, welcome to the Golden Sun Hacking Comm- :idea: Wait, can we even call this place a 'Community' anymore? There's only about 2-4 other people who still come here, so we may as well start calling this place the Golden Sun Ghost Town!

...-but it's not a town either!

Golden Sun Hacking Forums would be better.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Knight of Purgatory

The Golden Sun hacking bros. Yes that would do nicely, anyway, Hi Wolf! So do you plan on making a hack on golden sun? Or were you looking for some.
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

Wolf

Neither at the time being.  Wanted a new place to hang out beyond the usual places I visit.  There's a lot to read in the GSHC archives.

QuoteThere's a lot to read in the GSHC archives.
Yes, there sure is, isn't there? Did you find anything of interest?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Wolf

Dimensional Crisis looked hopeful.  The demo appears to be on hiatus.  Has there been any news about it other than the information in the forum? :VenusDjinni: :MarsDjinni: :JupiterDjinni: :MercuryDjinni:
What are coins for and how can they be acquired?

Social Hacking is when this happens:  http://theharmonyguy.com/oldsite/2010/04/10/facebook-platform-vulnerability-enabled-silent-data-harvesting/

Dimension Crisis is mostly dead because of a mostly inactive forum. Salanewt left, and Role/Rolina didn't have much faith in the project from there on, if I recall correctly.

Coins are for buying Badges in the shop. They are acquired by recieving them from other members. (You should click the [increase] button.) I just increased yours by 1, for example.

Badges are 50x50 images with no real purpose but for looks. They display in your profile, but I think you can choose one to display in a certain spot for every post.  Also, the Shop can be found in the navbar at the top of the page.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Wolf

Hadn't visited the shop until now.  That's a lot of badges.  More questions; How can you implement your own badges?  Does respect do anything beyond showing a number?  Are inactive accounts still deactivated after the designated period of time mentioned in the forum?

:Isaac:    :Felix:   :Jenna:  :Sheba: :Piers:  :Mia:   :Ivan: :Garet:
:MercuryDjinni: :MarsDjinni: :MercuryDjinni: :MarsDjinni: :MercuryDjinni: :MarsDjinni: :VenusDjinni: :JupiterDjinni: :VenusDjinni: :JupiterDjinni: :VenusDjinni: :JupiterDjinni:

QuoteMore questions; How can you implement your own badges?
They are simply cosmetics for all I know, so you can't really do anything useful besides displaying them in posts and in your profile. That may be one of the reasons why I never "bought" many. (I do buy Site Event ones, though, like April Fools and that one Halloween one.) I doubt that we'll ever have anymore site events, because Charon quit her admin position. (Or fired without being banned.) You can make badges if you'd like, but again, don't expect them to be added to the shop since that time Charon left her admin position... unless somehow Atrius adds them. (Which I don't think he ever had much to do with the Badge system in the first place?)

QuoteDoes respect do anything beyond showing a number?
Just a number based on the average of how many "likes" and "dislikes" your posts have had. (Since you can up a post or down a post.)

QuoteAre inactive accounts still deactivated after the designated period of time mentioned in the forum?
My bet is that Atrius still has the 6 month inactive account deletions for accounts with a post count of 0.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

Whoa cool, a new member. Hello and welcome, Wolf.
As the others hinted at (well, more than hinted), these forums were once somewhat active but aren't really today. I see it as a lot of lost potential, which kind of hurts a bit. But if you have any interest in hacking Golden Sun, this is the place to be.

I mostly lurk here nowadays and usually check the forums daily or at least weekly... but now I've been without internet for a few days.

Yeah, this site was more active back in the days Salanewt, Charon, and Role/Rolina were actively on.... But now, none of those three seem to visit anymore? (If at all.)

-It has been stated that Charon does not ever want to return to her account. (I think she changed her password?)
-Salanewt left permanantly as well. (He changed his password as well.)
-Rolina ... (Some stuff happened (offsite, I think) that pretty much killed her enthusiasm for most things GS-related.)

Anyway, if you REALLY want to know what Social Hacking is, then read this: http://www.zdnet.com/government-agency-compromised-by-fake-facebook-hottie-7000022700/
I had a giggle when I read that for some reason... but it's not supposed to be funny.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Wolf

Misery why did you choose that name?  The old "Misery loves company." line comes to mind since it is your forum name.

Teawater; According to the wolves, off-site politics cost Rolina a Golden Sun related position on another fansite.  Before this happened her computer had to be replaced and she lost most, if not all, of her data from the old one.

[hacking story] 

I don't think Misery has a real story with why he chose the name he did. See http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=1298.msg29686#msg29686

Ah. Thanks for letting me know that politics was the problem!  But yes, I do recall her once having a computer problem.  Do you think she'll ever find interest in Golden Sun again?  Even if it takes years to regain consciousness?  (Not sure why one should rely on one fansite to fully determine one's interest.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

Ugh... I feel I should try to explain/sort things out since I was around during that time, and I'm also pretty sure about which particular event triggered it. But my head is so full these days, I can't get myself to. Give me some time, will you. But in short, I don't think she's dissing Golden Sun forever, but she has realized the collective fan community is not strong enough to support her ideas.

I do have a few reasons behind my screen name... as for that post in the name thread, it was more or less meant as a joke, but I don't think anyone picked it up.

Judging from that hacking story, I guess Wolf isn't too hot on GS hacking after all. Oh well, still happy to have you here.
Actually, I've regained a bit of interest for it myself. After having introduced myself to the Etrian Odyssey games, I got some inspiration to continue with my current hack (which can be done with what I have available, no extensive code changes or anything). But yeah, that's a bit down on the list, meaning it won't happen anytime soon.

Ah.  Mind if I leave some self-notes here?

QuoteNovember 01, 2013, 06:41:10 AM - Misery - Don't forget about me! But I guess you can't exactly call me active... as for Role, some stuff happened a while ago that pretty much killed her enthusiasm for most things GS-related. >_>
November 01, 2013, 09:26:39 AM - Misery - Some disagreements with the staff on Adept's Refuge, and I think some disappointment with the fandom in general... but that's my take on it, I really should't speak for other people.
Quote from: WolfTeawater; According to the wolves, off-site politics cost Rolina a Golden Sun related position on another fansite.  Before this happened her computer had to be replaced and she lost most, if not all, of her data from the old one.
Quote from: MiseryUgh... I feel I should try to explain/sort things out since I was around during that time, and I'm also pretty sure about which particular event triggered it. But my head is so full these days, I can't get myself to. Give me some time, will you. But in short, I don't think she's dissing Golden Sun forever, but she has realized the collective fan community is not strong enough to support her ideas.

Is this everything?

From what I can tell, it looks like she was ranting about something that most everyone disagreed with. (However, no one was specific about exactly what that topic was... or topics. Politics and/or Golden Sun?) Just to make sure, but could I still find this "conversation" if I were to look for it at Adept's Refuge?

---

QuoteI do have a few reasons behind my screen name... as for that post in the name thread, it was more or less meant as a joke, but I don't think anyone picked it up.
Hmm...
QuoteYou all have very well thought out reasons for your names...
I just went with something I like.
Reading it again....I'm not sure how anyone could not fall for the joke? (Unless they knew you had reasons beforehand.)

---

Not sure if Wolf facepalmed because of me posting unrelated stuff, or if it was a tl;dr thing, or....

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

Quote from: Teawater on 25, November, 2013, 11:52:51 PM
Is this everything?
We're discussing two different subjects here, what caused her to lose her position and what caused her to give up on the Golden Sun as a subject of her ambition. I have mostly been commenting on the latter.

QuoteFrom what I can tell, it looks like she was ranting about something that most everyone disagreed with. (However, no one was specific about exactly what that topic was... or topics. Politics and/or Golden Sun?) Just to make sure, but could I still find this "conversation" if I were to look for it at Adept's Refuge?
Finding the conversation would probably be impossible since it happened in the GSAR Skype chat. She wasn't ranting, and the topic was neither politics nor Golden Sun (I don't think "politics" was supposed to mean the kind that involves government). As I see it there were just a lot of misunderstandings going on, and everyone got too fired up to really listen to each other.

QuoteNot sure if Wolf facepalmed because of me posting unrelated stuff, or if it was a tl;dr thing, or....
I just interpreted it as the summary of his/her own hacking story. Hopefully he/she will comment on it himself. ^^'