News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Maybe a bug? The editor got some error messages...

Started by Haruka, 27, October, 2008, 09:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haruka

When I opened the editor, an error message box jumped out and said:
for object obj_about:

Error defining an external function.

I clicked the "Ignore" button and a few seconds later another error message box jumped out and said:
for object obj_MasterEditor:

Error in code at line 1:
  panel_destroy(p_titlebar)

at position 15: Unknown variable p_titlebar

This time I clicked the "Ignore" button the whole application was shut down immediately... I wonder why... Maybe I need some DLLs or framework or something to be installed?

Atrius (He/Him)

That's weird... obj_about doesn't have any key release events, nor should it be attempting to define any external functions.

Does the editor do that every time you try to run it?  You could try downloading it again, in case it got corrupted or something like that.

Anyway, on to the actual reasons for the errors.

For the first one, the editor does have 2 DLL's packed into it's .exe file that should be automatically extracted when the program is started.  Both of them are optional, and are only used to speed up certain tasks, the editor should run alright without either of them...  I'm guessing the editor failed to extract the first one properly, but for some reason thought it had and tried to use it anyway.

The second error is a stupid mistake on my part that occurred because the first one did.  I'll have that fixed in the next version, then hopefully even if the first error continues to occur the editor should still run properly after wards.

[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Haruka

Well, I downloaded again, and of course nothing changed. The errors still existed.

Since the editor is packed into a .zip file, I believe it could not properly being unzipped due to the crc check during the unzip procedure once the pack is corrupted.

QuoteDoes the editor do that every time you try to run it?
Yes, every time I run it ,the errors will occur.

Quotethe editor does have 2 DLL's packed into it's .exe file that should be automatically extracted when the program is started...
The application only extracted one DLL called GSdatahandler.dll before it was forced to be shut down. But as you've mentioned these DLLs are not nessessary so I had no idea what it would lead to...

I wish my spelling and grammar would not bother you much. You know, a foreign language is never easier than mother tongue.

Rolina

I suggest checking the Rom you're using then, as it could be corrupted, and it might trigger something that's not supposed to be triggered as a result.

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Haruka on 27, October, 2008, 10:58:00 PMSince the editor is packed into a .zip file, I believe it could not properly being unzipped due to the crc check during the unzip procedure once the pack is corrupted.
True...

I'll try everything I can think of to fix the error in the next version of the editor.  I guess you'll have to wait for it, and hope for the best.

Quote from: Haruka on 27, October, 2008, 10:58:00 PMI wish my spelling and grammar would not bother you much. You know, a foreign language is never easier than mother tongue.

I hardly even noticed.  What is your native language?  I've been hoping to make the editor compatible with different language versions of the ROM, it'd certainly help to have someone around that knew the languages.

Role, those errors would most definitely have to be triggered before they even got a chance to load the ROM.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Haruka

QuoteI suggest checking the Rom you're using then, as it could be corrupted, and it might trigger something that's not supposed to be triggered as a result.
The errors occur before I can load the ROM. Once I double clicked the application the error dialogs show up immediately.

QuoteI'll try everything I can think of to fix the error in the next version of the editor. I guess you'll have to wait for it, and hope for the best.
I'll wait. I've been dreaming for a loooooong time if I could customize the Golden Sun. I even ripped some graphics from the game and decided to programme on GBA/DS myself... Thanks to your effort, you made my dream come true!

QuoteWhat is your native language? I've been hoping to make the editor compatible with different language versions of the ROM, it'd certainly help to have someone around that knew the languages.
I speak Chinese. However the game has no official Chinese version, and as far as I know, the unofficial Chinese version has some tricks in ROM encryption which makes the game unable to run properly under most emulators. But I have to admit, that very unofficial Chinese version which is localized from the official English version did so perfectly that it seems just like an official!

Atrius (He/Him)

If you PM me a link to the Chinese version I'll take a look at it, and see if it's been changed too much from the official versions to make it work with the editor.  I've gotten most of them working with it, at least partially.