News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

My Golden Sun fan translation - Portuguese.

Started by KyleRunner, 15, April, 2014, 08:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyleRunner

Just created this topic to discuss my fan translation of both Golden Sun games.

The first one is already finished, and the second is around 20%. Took me 3 years to get this far!

This topic is to post something I need to remember, some tips, tricks...

And to ask for help!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFBge6Aiu0A

I attached some pictures of graphics I could not edit by myself. They are in Italian, if you didn't noticed.

Edit: I attached some graphics dumps I made using VBA emulator.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Golden Sun 1 (Italian ROM)

Dice game sprites: (080F4000 = The mini-game's code file.)
0832010C (reference in the Master File Table)
083C8860 (uncompressed sprite palette data)
083C8A60 (compressed sprite data) (Decompressed to 02010000 and copied to 06010000)

080F42FA = Might be the function call that decompresses this data. (So this area will probably be patched after we make the sprite data uncompressed.)

Chances are, most of those sprites might be in the Master Fie Table, while some may be elsewhere... I find it's a rather time consuming process to find all this stuff, make edits, and test it out.

What you should do is edit the pixel data at 06010000 (In VBA's Memory viewer) until you get what you want, and Save a dump via the Save button at the bottom. (Instead of making PNGs and trying to convert them?)
The pixel data there is an indexed format. 8-bits a pixel. And uses the colors in the palette listed at 05000200. See the Tile Viewer for help with locating the proper sprite within that data.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)