News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Open Golden Sun: Open source recreation of the Golden Sun engine

Started by OpenGoldenSun, 15, December, 2014, 11:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna_blade

Amazing progress!

I can't help noticing that some tiles on the map don't connect wel and other minor stuff, though. But still cool.
Also, it seems there are fixed points of where you can warp to... so, is that going to change or how does it work?
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

OpenGoldenSun

Quote from: Luna_blade on 10, April, 2015, 11:29:14 AM
I can't help noticing that some tiles on the map don't connect wel and other minor stuff, though.

Not really sure what to tell you, those land masses are direct copies from the game, I didn't make them. I think I know what you're talking about, where the edges meet the center pattern looks strange, but that's how they have it in the game.

Quote from: Luna_blade on 10, April, 2015, 11:29:14 AM
Also, it seems there are fixed points of where you can warp to... so, is that going to change or how does it work?

Yes, there are fixed points of where you can warp, if that point is fully visible on the screen, it will show up as a selectable destination.

jjppof

Luna_blade

Quote from: OpenGoldenSun on 10, April, 2015, 12:24:21 PM
Not really sure what to tell you, those land masses are direct copies from the game, I didn't make them. I think I know what you're talking about, where the edges meet the center pattern looks strange, but that's how they have it in the game.
Oh... I checked it. You're right. I think it looks pretty shitty in-game if you look close enough.
I'm going to have a mental breakdown... (not really  :happy:)
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Rolina

That's a really smart way of doing that!  Nice!  It's great to see we have new field spells~

MaxiPower

@OpenGoldenSun

How long is the process from choosing what psyngery to implement to >>>> Having it inserted in engine? Like, does the thought of adding 100s of psyngery seem daunting? I would imagine it would be yet rewarding when it works and comes together. I am so envious of your ability. :sad:

OpenGoldenSun

Quote from: MaxiPower on 11, April, 2015, 07:41:54 PM
@OpenGoldenSun

How long is the process from choosing what psyngery to implement to >>>> Having it inserted in engine? Like, does the thought of adding 100s of psyngery seem daunting? I would imagine it would be yet rewarding when it works and comes together.

It can take a few hours per psynergy, depending on the psynergy's complexity. Creating all the field psynergies will take a while (let alone the battle ones). But, that's just part of it. The nice thing is that I can kind of jump around to other stuff when I'm getting tired of one thing.

Quote from: MaxiPower on 11, April, 2015, 07:41:54 PM
I am so envious of your ability. :sad:

I'm a programmer by day, which helps a lot. But I'm self taught, no reason you can't be.  :happy:

MaxiPower

I did a course a few years ago on basic coding and it went over my head and that was basic stuff. Whenever the code is released, I will have a look at it and try and determine what does what, documenting on the way. Id be happy if I could make small alterations and maybe add new psyngery by using an existing one as a template. That said hopefully when it is all done, the engine is somewhat easy to use for dummies such as myself. :P

Menaus

Hot damn... This is amazing. I looked decent back on page two, and now I'm completely excited.

This makes me want to make the game that Dark Dawn should of been... This calls for a literary analysis of each character so I can properly write for each character who would be recurring. Or, even a version of the first game from the perspective of Felix.

Will it ever happen, though...? We'll see.

But regardless, looks like I have some motivation to drive my wish to learn C#.

Edit: After reading your reddit post, I realize this is exactly why you're making this engine. Cool beans.
"You state that I have misinterpreted my results, and it looks as though you believe my views to be unsound. Your arguments are those of an eminent scholar. I was myself a fair scholar. For years I pondered, so to speak, day and night over books, and filled my head with sound views–very sound ones, indeed—those of others. But I could no[t] get to practical results. I then began to work and think independently. Gradually my views became unsound, but they conducted me to some sound results." - Nikola Tesla

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteHot damn... This is amazing. I looked decent back on page two, and now I'm completely excited.
Yep! What would you think about a Golden Sun project on the Hololens? (Hololens is Microsoft's project that will run Windows 10... which will be released this year (PROBABLY! But dunno.. they weren't specific enough on a release date, I don't think.)
(Might make more sense on the Oculus, but still... I wonder if the Hololens could be a VR as well as augmented reality...

For augmented:
-We could pretend like we're adepts ourselves, and special effects could happen in real life, maybe.
-Or we could just control a character on a real-life playing field. (Which makes even more sense, since you can't go teleporting yourself.)

Anyway, you could look up for one of Microsoft's conferences on the Hololens, or you could wait til the end of the month to see their latest conference.. (Or whatever.)

Edit again: Imagine being able to touch 3D: http://mashable.com/2015/04/04/tablet-revolution-3d/ - I can imagine eating dinner on one of these. Imagine a bowl of soup. Heheh... Don't think that would work too well, though. Unless the device had (self-cleaning/non-stick)/anti-heat/etc. functionality.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

jjppof

Quote from: Menaus on 12, April, 2015, 09:07:57 PM
But regardless, looks like I have some motivation to drive my wish to learn C#.

There's a nice C# course by Microsoft starting this month at edx.org, look here.

I'm trying to learn XNA to don't get completely lost.

Oh cool!  I don't think taking time-defined courses is for me, but thanks anyway. Say? Are they going to record their session for later viewing? (For those who don't enroll?)
(Edit: I just realized April 7th was about a week ago. :p)

Things to remember about programming in general: (And the three main speed-ups that might not be obvious of which I'm glad I learned about at one time.)
-Need to load a lot of data from a file? Consider using I/O file method to load to a buffer. (Direct reads via the non-I/O method is too slow.)
-Need to display graphics? SetPixel (Atleast for VB.Net) would be way too slow, so put your pixel data in a buffer, and attach that to a bitmap object.
-Need to display a bunch of strings? Concatenating them over and over might be too slow due to repointering, so use StringBuilder.

As for those beginning with a new language:
-Understand syntax (Mainly the concept of "if then" and do/while; but others may be nice to know as well.)
-Understand variables, and how they're defined/used. ; byte, short, int, long are 8, 16, 32, 64 bit signed types, for example.
-Understand functions, and how they're called/used. ; You can call with arguments, and have a value returned.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

OpenGoldenSun

Quote from: jjppof on 13, April, 2015, 07:41:02 AM

Learn MonoGame instead, since that is where this will go and XNA is dead.

Menaus

@Fox

I really don't think that virtual reality will fit in the scope of this project. It's cool, yeah, but it just doesn't fit the genre, nor will it even add to the experience in a meaningful way, imo. We'd have to completely change the game from the ground up, and I think that we'd be doing the same thing Camelot did with Dark Dawn in the end, except far worse.

@OpenGoldenSun

Okay, fair enough, I'll check that out.
"You state that I have misinterpreted my results, and it looks as though you believe my views to be unsound. Your arguments are those of an eminent scholar. I was myself a fair scholar. For years I pondered, so to speak, day and night over books, and filled my head with sound views–very sound ones, indeed—those of others. But I could no[t] get to practical results. I then began to work and think independently. Gradually my views became unsound, but they conducted me to some sound results." - Nikola Tesla

jjppof

Quote from: OpenGoldenSun on 13, April, 2015, 02:16:04 PM
Quote from: jjppof on 13, April, 2015, 07:41:02 AM

Learn MonoGame instead, since that is where this will go and XNA is dead.

Nice! Thanks for the hint!

Quote from: Fox on 13, April, 2015, 08:02:25 AM
Oh cool!  I don't think taking time-defined courses is for me, but thanks anyway. Say? Are they going to record their session for later viewing? (For those who don't enroll?)
(Edit: I just realized April 7th was about a week ago. :p)

You still can enroll and you can access the material without worry about time. Time is just for grading.

@MonoGames: Thanks for letting us know, I guess I could take a look.

QuoteI really don't think that virtual reality will fit in the scope of this project. It's cool, yeah, but it just doesn't fit the genre, nor will it even add to the experience in a meaningful way, imo. We'd have to completely change the game from the ground up, and I think that we'd be doing the same thing Camelot did with Dark Dawn in the end, except far worse.
Not even using MineCraft as a base? (Do note that I said a Golden Sun project, and not necessarily this one to be exact.)

But yes, for this, what you say pretty much makes sense because most of the graphics seem to have the most appeal in 2D, I think. (Etc.)

QuoteYou still can enroll and you can access the material without worry about time. Time is just for grading.
Thanks... but... it turns out I need to log in to enroll....

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

MaxiPower

I have a request... :P When you have all your battle mechanics in place and are thinking of which psyngery to insert to test out. May I recommend Agaitos Rising Dragon. There are two rising dragons move, but his is the coolest looking psyngery in the game and one we sadly never got to learn.

Rolina

...Stick with the basics.  Team Isaac is a known quantity - we know how they're supposed to work.  When testing spells, that's what should be used.  Hold Rising Dragon for when testing gets to the more fancy things.

MaxiPower

Suppose jumping and pushing objects would be the most reasonable next step as far as basics go. EDIT POST 666.... Number of the Beast!!  :MarsSet: :MarsSet: :MarsSet:

@Field jumping & pushing = By the way, have those been done yet? (I'm thinking most likely, but I just want to be sure.)

Either way, I think Rolina was referring to what's most reasonable for Battle Mechanics...

QuoteEDIT POST 666.... Number of the Beast!!
Muslim's holy number  ; Bible's evil number.. -- Which do you pick, holy or evil?  (<== Supposed to be rhetorical.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden