News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun: The Balance Age

Started by Caledor, 24, January, 2015, 12:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlbear

Quote from: Caledor on 22, May, 2015, 07:13:28 PM
QuoteFirst being why does Ivan get two different low level bolt spells that do comparable damage, hit the same targets, and cost 7 mp?
Don't know what you're talking about... Ray is 7 PP and 35 power while Plasma is 8 PP and 45 power...
QuoteFlash bolt and ray. Similar damage output, same aoe, same cost.

QuoteOnly other observation that the boss tornado beast that chases you has astronomical damage output, but can be outrun thankfully.
Tornado Lizard? His strongest spell is Tornado at 80 power...
May have been my party having been underleveled but his sonic slash was wrecking house across the board.

javi3

This pach dosen't  work whith rom spanish clean? Solution?

Caledor

Quote from: javi3 on 24, May, 2015, 08:01:21 AM
This pach dosen't  work whith rom spanish clean? Solution?
It works only with clean english roms.

javi3

Rolina

Okay, I can immediately say right now that the fight with the djinn in the Fuchin Falls Cave is a bit on the unfair side.  Djinn moving twice is one thing.  Djinn moving twice and hitting that hard in that wide of an area before you can get FP healing?  That's cheap.

GAAAAH!  That little jerk has fled from battle ten times in a row now!  Why is fleeing djinn a thing if they have two turns?!

Caledor

Quote from: Rolina on 24, May, 2015, 03:40:28 PM
Okay, I can immediately say right now that the fight with the djinn in the Fuchin Falls Cave is a bit on the unfair side.  Djinn moving twice is one thing.  Djinn moving twice and hitting that hard in that wide of an area before you can get FP healing?  That's cheap.

GAAAAH!  That little jerk has fled from battle ten times in a row now!  Why is fleeing djinn a thing if they have two turns?!

Could you upload your save somewhere? Sorry but I need the saves when making those tests cause i finished GS1 without any issues... so I can't really reply to that atm.

Rolina

I already beat the guy and saved.  I got lucky and stun voltage triggered a stun.

Also...  Two things to report issues on.

I'm currently reaching level 13 on my party, heading into Mogall Woods.  I am in desperate need of Tier 2 spells, and very few classes provide them.  There's a disturbing lack of low end spells right now - Growth, Quake, Douse, Frost, Bolt, Flare, etc.  Remember how I gave you a hard time about doubling up on spell types?  About how there should be a variety of spells strengths, rather than two powerful and one moderate or weak?  Yeah... THAT.  I've got a bunch of 7-9 PP spells that are worthless right now, and I'm struggling to find a way to get some basic spells without losing out on healing.  What good is having both the Plasma and Volcano lines if neither do me any good right now?  Why have the Thorn and Gaia lines when I'd be better off with Growth and Gaia?

Having two superspells sounds great and all, but it's a pain in the butt to get through early and midgame when you have no low or mid tier spell support.

Oh, and... Astral Blast and Ragnarok?  In the same class?  Umm... why?

Aile~♥

Okay, if you're having trouble finding basic spells without losing healing, there's a problem. The uber-offence class that can nuke things with both Pyroclasm and Grand Gaia should not be the same class that also provides healing, I think.

Also, both Astral Blast and Ragnarok in the same class does seem pretty silly if you're balancing classes by core GS standards. (Obviously if you're going for a more Final Fantasy-type thing then there's nothing inherently wrong with classes whose entire skill list is physical.)
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

owlbear

So I don't have the save anymore since I finally beat the storm lizard, but his casting of tempest averaged between 120 and 180 damage per character, depending on resistances.

Also, are there a list of the new classes that are exclusively in TBS? Also new items exclusive to TBS?

Caledor

@Rolina: Well, numbers at hand the only loss is Growth from the Seer. Douse is present as much as before, Quake, Frost, Flare have always been for mono elemental classes only, and i added Bolt to those 3 to complete the set.

Stepping aside from mere numbers, I always said that I see mono-elemental classes as the starting classes, the ones more geared towards early to mid game... and adding elements shifts the class to becoming good later in the game. So... I don't really see this as an issue cause you can just revert to base classes for some time and have your Tier 2 psynergies back without losing on healing.

About 2 EPAs in one class... just why not? Why a warrior class is fine with 2 BD spells of different elements (that are clearly better suited for mages since the PP multiplier patch) but not with 2 EPAs of different elements (that are clearly warrior-oriented)? And remember that EPAs only take one slot compared to the 3 of BD spells so it's very easy to increase variety by adding them.

@owlbear: the classes sheet is valid for TBS too. No new item for TBS instead but a lot of changes to existing ones.

owlbear

So then all classes at djinni cap are variants of 3/4, 6/1, 7, and 3/3?

Caledor

Quote from: owlbear on 24, May, 2015, 06:09:48 PM
So then all classes at djinni cap are variants of 3/4, 6/1, 7, and 3/3?

Like i said, the sheet is valid for TBS as well. The only thing you have to take into account is that you don't have access to the highest tiers cause you lack the djinn for them (Highest two tiers for 3-tiers Tri-elemental classes), just like with the original game.

Rolina

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 24, May, 2015, 04:45:13 PM
Okay, if you're having trouble finding basic spells without losing healing, there's a problem. The uber-offence class that can nuke things with both Pyroclasm and Grand Gaia should not be the same class that also provides healing, I think.

Also, both Astral Blast and Ragnarok in the same class does seem pretty silly if you're balancing classes by core GS standards. (Obviously if you're going for a more Final Fantasy-type thing then there's nothing inherently wrong with classes whose entire skill list is physical.)
Not quite what I mean.  I mean across my whole team, if I was to get any kind of appropriate offense, none of my adepts know healing moves.  It was a frustrating juggle.

@2 EPAs:  I discussed this in my playthrough thread.  It's not that I think it's bad, but... it's kind of a waste.  Made a suggestion to make things more interesting.

Also... For once, we're complaining about something too easy in this!  The Hydros Statue was a joke.  We're talking Spark Mandrill levels of easy.  The boss isn't accounting for the fact that you literally just got area healing, and its damage output is... pathetic.  Boss needs buff badly.

@Revert to base classes:  All classes should be viable at all points in the game (ESPECIALLY true later in TLA, where you get djinn in an order that pretty much encourages this).  Also, almost everything in Mogall Woods is weak to Venus.  I was in desperate need of some heavy hitting venus moves, and to give Isaac exclusive use of that is... not exactly ideal in that place.

owlbear

Just beat it; avg party level 33. Last encounter was tough, but only because frequent turns of Fusion Dragon double-casting Outer Space or Bad Gas. Is it possible to tweak the scripting so there isn't as much spamming of a move, or is it intentional?

About to begin TLA playthrough.

[Edit] I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to make and update these patches. Getting to play through my favorite GBA titles with a steeper difficulty curve and some new classes has been very enjoyable.

Also a suggestion for Blackbeard: maybe increase his physical strength. The best strategy I had for him was spamming Luff, because his spell damage was averaging 200-300/character. But keeping him sealed resulted in a cakewalk.

Caledor

@Rolina I need the save for testing Hydros Statue out or i'll end up making random changes here and there...

About classes: I think I've managed to accomplish balancing late game TLA beyond my wildest expectations... heck, some people even stick with base classes, which I thought to be utter crap late-game (and i still do btw), but making all classes viable early game is entirely another matter. The only way such a thing can be accomplished is by lowering the power cap, which translates into a huge nerf to pure mage, fateweaver, arcanist, radiant miko, incantatrix and warden, for starters. THEN rearrange ALL the others from there.

The problem is that we're discussing the approach, not the result. You see this class system as something that must be balanced through the whole game, while I see something that encourages you to start with base classes and then experiment variations as the game progresses. Those are two entirely different philosophies and arguing on which one is better is completely pointless IMHO.

About EPAs: i considered giving them added effects but i never found a set that satisfied me. Also, you gain another element in offense for just 1 slot of psynergy... to me it's quite the bargain instead even as they are now.

QuoteJust beat it; avg party level 33. Last encounter was tough, but only because frequent turns of Fusion Dragon double-casting Outer Space or Bad Gas. Is it possible to tweak the scripting so there isn't as much spamming of a move, or is it intentional?
There's no script, just percentages. And Bad Gas' is really low, only 6,6%.

Quote[Edit] I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to make and update these patches. Getting to play through my favorite GBA titles with a steeper difficulty curve and some new classes has been very enjoyable.
Thank you for trying this, and hope you'll enjoy TLA as well.

QuoteAlso a suggestion for Blackbeard: maybe increase his physical strength. The best strategy I had for him was spamming Luff, because his spell damage was averaging 200-300/character. But keeping him sealed resulted in a cakewalk.
Actually, there's something I don't like with that... I don't want a seal to make the fight that easy, so I'll probably do something about that instead of raising his physical strength.

javi3

Please don't joke!
Make pach for spanish rom please!!!!!

Caledor

Quote from: javi3 on 25, May, 2015, 03:45:27 PM
Please don't joke!
Make pach for spanish rom please!!!!!
It won't happen. I have no clue whatsoever on where the data i need is. This will only ever work with the english ROM.

Rolina

This is post battle.  I don't think I got any level ups, so the only difference is that I'm +1 Lift Gems.

@Javi:  There won't be a spanish version of this mod unless you make it yourself.  Simply put, it doesn't exist for the same reason you're requesting it - we don't know how to speak that language.  You'll have to find a third party to not only make it, but to keep it up to date with the changes being made to this mod.  Sorry about that. :/

Caledor

Role, i need to test the battle itself... please upload one before the battle next time.

EDIT: Oh and, nothing was wrong with Cleric. Bishop is just a leftover of my tinkering with classes from the previous version. My bad.

owlbear

Aqua Hydra on Piers' ship could use some mellowing out. If he does raging flood twice in a turn (which he is prone to do), at LEAST 1 casualty.