News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun: The Balance Age

Started by Caledor, 24, January, 2015, 12:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

Oh, it's mostly just reinstalling stuff as I come across things I need to use.  All my data was safe.

JustBeKrillin

Is the game still a grind end-game to reach lvl 99? Or has this been fixed?

Caledor

i haven't touched exp gained from monsters so the short answer is yes. However, i'd like to stress out that this doesn't need to be "fixed" cause it's fine the way it is. you don't need lv 99 at all to finish the game, so you're not supposed to reach it just with your everyday battles (= without grinding).

JustBeKrillin

The perfectionists who grind for max stats would appreciate it though. Versatility in how the game is played should be priority for all different types of fans, perfectionist or not. Would you consider it?

Caledor

perfectionist will have to grind for max stat, just like they did for every other single game they played or that they'll ever play. Versatility means allowing the player to make different choices when they customize their party and is the main reason this mod was born. There is no versatility in making the level up three times faster than how it's always been. Just a pointless change in numbers displayed.

JustBeKrillin

Fair enough, can you answer me this then. Can all missable items in GS2 from GS1 + the new items added to GS1 be transferred to GS2 without worry of missing out on anything? If you arent sure what items these were I could provide a list.

Caledor

i don't i've completely understood what you're saying so yes, i'd rather see that list before answering. You mean that there are items missable in GS2 just by don't bringing them over from GS1? Like the cleric's ring?

JustBeKrillin

[spoiler]Isaac:
Gaia Blade
Warrior's Helm
Earth Shield
Dragon Scales
Catch Beads
Orb of Force
Demon Axe
Bandit's Sword
Mystery Blade
Assassin Blade
Elven Rapier
Arctic Blade
Mythril Circlet
Dragon Shield
China Dress

Garet:
Muramasa
Adept's Helm
Spirit Gloves
Demon Mail
Frost Jewel
Douse Drop
Cleric's Ring
Wicked Mace
Grievous Mace
Burning Axe
Vulcan Axe
Glittering Tiara
Guardian Armlet
Oracle's Robe
Spiked Armor

Ivan:
Kikuichimonji
Ninja Hood
Virtuous Armlet
Storm Gear
Cloak Ball
Halt Gem
Fairy Ring
Cell Key
Hermes' Water
Cocktail Dress
Ninja Garb
Kimono
Water Jacket
Asura's Armor
Spirit Armor

Mia:
Zodiac Wand
Lucky Cap
Battle Gloves
Elven Shirt
Carry Stone
Lifting Gem
Mars Star
Shaman Rod / Black Orb
Dragon's Eye
Lure Cap
Thunder Crown
Vambrace
[anything]
[anything]
[anything]

Etc:
GS1 Stat Up items:
Apple (4)
Cookie (4)
Power Bread (4)
Hard Nut (5)
Mint (4)
Lucky Pepper (4)

GS1 Non-artifact items:
Fur Coat (1)
Corn (1)

GS1 Tolbi Springs items:
Adept's Helm
Assassin Blade
Burning Axe
China Dress
Earth Shield
Glittering Tiara
Grievous Mace
Guardian Armlet
Kimono
Ninja Hood
Spirit Armor

GS1 Enemy Drop items:
Kikuichimonji
Zodiac Wand
Spiked Armor[/spoiler]

This is the full list of missables that arent in GS2 unless you transfer them. Would there be room for the newly added items too?

Caledor

some of those can be found in GS2. going from memory, at least the gaia blade and the kikuichimonji. maybe even the zodiac wand. 95% of the list still needs to be brought over from gs1 though

JustBeKrillin

Quote from: Caledor on 28, August, 2015, 11:02:43 PM
some of those can be found in GS2. going from memory, at least the gaia blade and the kikuichimonji. maybe even the zodiac wand. 95% of the list still needs to be brought over from gs1 though
I really appreciate you looking at this, I just have one last question and I wont be such a pest anymore xD

Could I be told the new items so I can compile a list in my head of what I can and cannot transfer? I really wanna use your patch because its been fantastic so far and I greatly appreciate the amount of time, sweat, and work you put into both games. I'm just a little too addicted to this game and like to make perfect files. xP

Caledor

gaia blade, kikuichimonji, zodiac wand and spirit gloves. Those are the items that originally were GS1 only that with my mod can be obtained in a non-password enhanced playthrough of GS2. I don't think there's anything else.
Also glad you're liking my mod and don't be shy to ask if there's anything else. :)

JustBeKrillin

Quote from: Caledor on 28, August, 2015, 11:25:42 PM
gaia blade, kikuichimonji, zodiac wand and spirit gloves. Those are the items that originally were GS1 only that with my mod can be obtained in a non-password enhanced playthrough of GS2. I don't think there's anything else.
Also glad you're liking my mod and don't be shy to ask if there's anything else.
Well I meant newly added items, such as sol ring, etc that were added to GS1 that wasnt in the original game before the patch. Custom made items. But I appreciate telling me whats in GS2 already so I can remove those off the list of needed items!

Caledor

In gs1 IIRC i haven't added anything. the rings, caladbolg etc are GS2 only. Anyway, if i've added something, it's written in the first post of this thread.

JustBeKrillin

Quote from: Caledor on 28, August, 2015, 11:36:16 PM
In gs1 IIRC i haven't added anything. the rings, caladbolg etc are GS2 only. Anyway, if i've added something, it's written in the first post of this thread.
Appreciated man, I'll be working on completing a file on GS1 with all djinn, events, missables, etc to share a gold password of your patch for everyone to enjoy.

Seelegewehr

I apologize if this has been brought up before but I started playing this just yesterday and I noticed that some early game psynergies are really, really strong. Like a "battles become completely trivial if I use them at all" kind of strong.

Flare Wall, Whirlwind, Fume, Wind Slash, and Plasma do extreme amounts of damage even at low levels and against Djinni and bosses, the damage is even larger.

Other spells deal significantly increased damage to bosses as well, but still less than Fume/Wind Slash etc. I'm guessing what's happening is that with some psynergies there's some kind of %hp damage that's being affected by other formula changes.

Caledor

this is totally not supposed to happen so if you can upload somewhere a saved game (in an area where this happens like yampi desert) I'll look into it and fix it right away. the chance your guess is correct is pretty high.

In the meantime, please try testing the patch once more on a clean US rom. The same saved game from your broken rom will work flawlessy with it so you can use it to compare both roms.

Rolina

Oh wow, they got HP Percentile damage?  I wonder if it has to do with the slot they're in or something, assuming things got moved around.  If not, are you sure it was a clean rom?

Caledor

Quote from: Rolina on 12, September, 2015, 11:55:21 AM
Oh wow, they got HP Percentile damage?  I wonder if it has to do with the slot they're in or something, assuming things got moved around.  If not, are you sure it was a clean rom?
hp% damage is applied by checking a table of single bytes that matches the ability table. if the byte corresponding to the ability used is not 0, that very number is used to deal hp% damage. Errors like these are usually due to the table being messed up like starting some bytes earlier or later (but this also means that the abilities messed up are only a few) or more serious mistakes. If every single spell deals hp% damage its almost certain that it's the user fault for not following patching advices correctly.

Seelegewehr

Seems I was using the wrong version of rom? I tried several different clean (U) roms & same problem, but then I tried a (UE) one and now everything appears to be normal; Wind Slash, Fume. etc are doing reasonable amounts of damage.

Caledor

Quote from: Seelegewehr on 12, September, 2015, 02:32:02 PM
Seems I was using the wrong version of rom? I tried several different clean (U) roms & same problem, but then I tried a (UE) one and now everything appears to be normal; Wind Slash, Fume. etc are doing reasonable amounts of damage.
maybe your rom was bad from the beginning. anyway glad that the issue has been cleared. if anything strange happens again, do not hesitate and let me know.