News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun: The Balance Age

Started by Caledor, 24, January, 2015, 12:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

Ah, I see.  I'm rather fond of foes having some degree of variable stats, so if you'd have figure that out I'd have been suuuper interested.  Personally, I think it'd be neat if they showed up with ±1 level, and ranged between 80-100% of their HP and PP upon encountering them (weighted towards a higher percentage).  It'd give the world a more lived in feel IMO, implying statistically that things happen when they're not getting killed by the player.  Not something I'd really push for with a remixed/rebalanced patch like this, but definitely a way I'd build a new adventure...

@Class Separation:  Ah, so it's a tedium issue.  Yeah, that's why I've not really made a balance patch of my own - I don't have the patience for it with the way the editor is now. It just doesn't have the functionality it'd need for me to do things as quickly as I'd like to (it shouldn't take me an hour to make a single class line, dangit!).

Salanewt

Tedium: In all fairness, one could easily make the first class of each line and use a calculator and hex editor to simply copy+paste them and then use the editor for minor fixes. Took me no more than a couple hours or so to do all of them, though I will admit it would be easier if the editor could simply do that for you.

Patch requests: Oh yeah, still working on that. Unless you figured out out that is. I have been much busier than I was expecting to be during the holidays, which is cool I guess.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Caledor

Quote from: Rolina on 26, December, 2015, 07:55:17 PM
Ah, I see.  I'm rather fond of foes having some degree of variable stats, so if you'd have figure that out I'd have been suuuper interested.  Personally, I think it'd be neat if they showed up with ±1 level, and ranged between 80-100% of their HP and PP upon encountering them (weighted towards a higher percentage).  It'd give the world a more lived in feel IMO, implying statistically that things happen when they're not getting killed by the player.  Not something I'd really push for with a remixed/rebalanced patch like this, but definitely a way I'd build a new adventure...
I never thought about that but it sure looks interesting. I can see it being doable in TLA by tweaking the hard mode function, but if i knew where that one was located i'd probably use it first to tweak hard mode itself :P

Quote from: Lord Squirtle on 27, December, 2015, 01:14:33 AMPatch requests: Oh yeah, still working on that. Unless you figured out out that is. I have been much busier than I was expecting to be during the holidays, which is cool I guess.
I actually have no clue on how to do them (especially the animation) so I'm afraid i'll have to wait for your help. But like i always said, please take your time :)

EDIT (Progress report): Everything's done. Deadbeard gained a special physical attack and Doom Dragon has been slightly tweaked. Some enemy abilities have been strengthened.

Caledor

First (almost acceptable) attempt at granting the Punishment series the unique icons it deserves

[spoiler="Original non zoomed pic"][/spoiler]

I already tried with plasma variants by tweaking Role's fulminous series but it didn't really came out well.
Maybe i'll try once again without tweaking it this time.

Also, contrary to what i said some time ago to Varden, the Elder and Estre Wood icons are duplicates so 1 is basically free. Also in Pixie/Faerie/Weird Ninph series' icons, 2 of them are identical and the third differs only by having second "sparkling dot". So, basically 3 more free icon slots.

Rolina

Eh, my Fulminous series was meant for a set of line of site attacks, so I don't think they'd work for a vertical-oriented animation like a plasma variant.

VardenSalad

Cal, have you considered making an icon that is more symbolic?

The ones you posted are the same as the Bolt series, but pink, right?
Never forget why you started playing.

Caledor

Yes, Bolt and Ray with very light changes and turned pink. I also don't really like how plain it looks but I think it HAS too remind of thunder so i can't use the windrose.

This is the current version
http://i.imgur.com/wkuUZhD.png

Just tried with the symbol of zeus' bolt but i couldn't manage to make it look good.

Also Veil/Screen

Edit: Latest version. Vertically flipping the icons finally emphasizes on the single target part. Starting to like it.

Rolina

Pink and purple are not the same color. :x

@Varden:  I don't understand what you're asking in regards to those icons you posted...

VardenSalad

Ah, sorry. Was fiddling around with the word editor and trying to post images from web pages. I can see how it would have been confusing with my question. The icons themselves have nothing to do with anything.
Never forget why you started playing.

Caledor

Ah so it wasn't a specific suggestion. Well, I already went with the latest version posted for punishment, but i know it's far from perfect, so... if someone wants to give it a shot, I'm open for replacements.

EDIT: Current changelog. It's getting quite big
[spoiler=Changelog for v1.30 in progress]
Break cost increased to 12
Restore cost increased to 6
Potent cure cost increased to 14
Nature boon cost increased to 18, bp decreased to 500
Ply series cost increased to 5-10-24, pure ply bp decreased to 700
Haunt triggering rate to 40%
Delusion makes you miss 70% of the time
Base chance to inflict Poison, Venom, Delusion, Stun, Sleep, Seal, and Haunt reduced
Characters wrapped in Delusion can't unleash
A few enemy abilities tweaked
Guardian/Protector replaced with Guard/Protect for all classes
Magic Shell/Magic Shield replaced with Ward/Resist
The Punishment series has now unique custom-made icons
-5%/+5% HP, Atk, Def and Agi to each enemy (in TBS/TLA) and other tweaks
Death Curse's countdown starts at 4 instead of 7 in TBS
Remedy psynergy created (single target Tonic). Replaces Cure Poison and Restore at Angel and Druid stage, and in the Pure Mage and Guardian series.
Deadbeard, Star Magician and Doom Dragon tweaked
New enemy: Brutal Wolf, replaces Creeper in the Air's Rock interior
Seal from Luff and Rime has a base 150% chance of success and is now affected by Luck
Veil/Screen have now unique custom-made icons
Baffle Card and Mist restored. Weird Ninph has the same icon as Pixie and Fairy
Cost for many of the Tamer class series psynergies tweaked. "May deal double damage" effect moved from Gryphon to Minotaur.

To be added: Mars Revive animation and Revive 50% HP outside of battle in TBS [/spoiler]

Caledor

Another update for v1.30
Piers joins the party at lv 17 but will level up slightly faster while still remaining the slowest character at leveling as described here. The excel sheet the above statement refers to can be found here (thanks for both, Role). Also, Dullahan has been slightly tweaked.

First post updated. Remember that all the info written there still refer to v1.27, which is the current one.

Edit: Terminology section in the first post completed. Let me know any request (doubt) regarding terms or lines of dialogue that should be changed (were changed). I won't change anything else on my own cause i never played the english games.

Edit 2: Illuminated from the Monk-Guru series will become Enlightened. I think it was a very stupid linguistic blunder of mine... i'm surprised no one ever brought it up.

Edit 3: I think I'm going to check useable items once again and improve those that might seem too underwhelming. The first of the list is the Cheongsam (China Dress), which now also grants a passive bonus of +3 to Luck.

Rolina

I still stand by my belief that on-use gear is largely pointless with the random chance to break.  Adding some passive effects to give them a point I think is a great idea.

Honestly, this could easily be fixed by giving these items their own PP stats, so that when you cast their ability you drain the item's PP away until it needs to be recharged.  Would completely solve the issue if it used the recharge mechanic rather than a random break mechanic - heck, you could even have items to restore useable gear PP in such a system.  Such a shame that GS really can't support it, you know?

Caledor

While the recharge mechanic would be an obvious improvement, i don't think the randomly break is what makes those item pointless. IMHO it still largely depends on the actual effect of the item... the difference between a free Dull and a free Wish Well is just too big.

The small passive bonus in the end is a nice compromise.

Rolina

* Rolina shrugs.

If you can't rely on it, why use it?  It's why I'd use a mist potion before using even a Ring of Pure Wish - I know I can at least replenish my supply, and know how many uses I'm getting out of it. 

Caledor

IIRC, in the vanilla game you can replenish your supply of Mist Potions only at Prox, while the Spirit Ring is available as soon as you enter the Eastern Sea... That's a LOT of time.

It's true that's not completely reliable, but still... it's there and it's free. If it breaks... at worst you saved the PP of a single cast.

EDIT: In the end, useable items that got a passive bonus are Cheongsam, Bone Armlet (+15 VRes) and Faery Vest (+30 JRes). Otafuku and Hiotoko mask will have their special attack boosted. The only useable items without passive boosts left should be Glittering Tiara, Floral Dress and Prophet's Hat. For the first two, i'll be leaving them as they are cause i'm ok with having 1 "crappy fountain item" per game (crappy = effect wise. Their DEF is still the highest of anything you could find till that point of the game). With prophet's hat, i just ran out of ideas cause I don't want to make those passive bonuses too redundant. Guess I just can't balance them all.

EDIT2: Otafuku's Water Breath is BP 90 (from 50) and Hiotoko's Fire Breath is BP 130 (from 85).
Well, that's it. I don't really know what I else could i do with this. From now on, v1.30 for both games it's gonna be released the very second I have the Mars revive and 50% field revive into GS1.

[spoiler=v1.30 changelog]
Both games
Break cost increased to 12
Restore cost increased to 6
Potent cure cost increased to 14
Nature boon cost increased to 18, bp decreased to 500
Ply series cost increased to 5-10-24, pure ply bp decreased to 700
Remedy psynergy created (single target Tonic). Replaces Cure Poison and Restore at Angel and Druid stage, and in the Pure Mage and Guardian series.
Haunt triggering rate to 40%
Delusion makes you miss 70% of the time
Base chance to inflict Poison, Venom, Delusion, Stun, Sleep, Seal, and Haunt reduced
Characters wrapped in Delusion can't unleash
A few enemy abilities tweaked
Guardian/Protector replaced with Guard/Protect for all classes
Magic Shell/Magic Shield replaced with Ward/Resist
The Punishment series has now unique custom-made icons
Illuminated tier from the Monk-Guru class series renamed to Enlightened
Cheongsam, Bone Armlet, Fujin Shield, Faery Vest tweaked
Seal from Luff and Rime has a base 150% chance of success and is now affected by Luck

The Broken Seal only
-5% HP, Atk, Def and Agi to each enemy and other tweaks
Death Curse's countdown starts at 4 instead of 7
Deadbeard tweaked

The Lost Age only
+5% HP, Atk, Def and Agi to each enemy and other tweaks
Star Magician, Dullahan and Doom Dragon tweaked
New enemy: Brutal Wolf, replaces Creeper in the Air's Rock interior
Piers joins at level 17 but levels up faster than before (he's still the slowest)
Veil/Screen have now unique custom-made icons
Water/Flame Breath skill of Otafuku/Hiotoko mask improved.
Baffle Card and Mist restored. Weird Ninph has the same icon as Pixie and Fairy
Cost for many of the Tamer class series psynergies tweaked. "May deal double damage" effect moved from Gryphon to Minotaur.
[/spoiler]

Rolina

Did you change which ability they use, or change the ability itself?  IIRC, the masks use monster skills...

Caledor

I made duplicates of their abilities and tweaked those.

Misery

@Breakable cast items: I was never really a fan of these in the originals either, but the idea isn't all that bad... think of them as consumable items that have a chance to not be used up. And which also happen to have the option of being equipped. The two should be mutually exclusive, you don't want to risk your equipment breaking unless that's the only way to use the effect.

The reason these are pretty much useless in the originals is for the same reason consumable items are pretty much useless in general (still in the originals). Except for Water of Life and Psy Crystal, which would be pretty crazy to give to this type of item.

leaf

In vanilla, most items only exist for one-time cheese strats anyway (e.g. using the ice item against saturos or the sleep bomb in colosso), and quickly become outclassed. I don't think any of the equip items with active effects even get used, with the exception of the spirit ring in GS2, because it doesn't break when used outside of battle.

edit: @Prophets hat: I would just treat the item as a pure defense boost and balance its DEF appropriately. After all, an item does not need to be equipped to use its active effect, so it really *is* just a defense boost.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Caledor

Quote from: leaf on 09, January, 2016, 05:06:47 PM
edit: @Prophets hat: I would just treat the item as a pure defense boost and balance its DEF appropriately. After all, an item does not need to be equipped to use its active effect, so it really *is* just a defense boost.
It's already balanced. As I wrote on the first post, every single piece of equipment found in each game is the best of its kind you could find up to that point. "Best" refers to the main stat of the item: Atk for weapons and Def for Armors.