News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Transparency and Fading Effects

Started by Salanewt, 26, May, 2015, 10:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

So yeah. I've basically decided to start looking into some of the ways that GS2 utilizes transparency and stuff. For those who don't know, the GBA has some native semi-transparency, alpha blending, and brightness features that pretty much any game can utilize (more on that at GBATEK).

I also felt like making a little post about something neat I found about semi-transparency during battle. As of today, I have made note of a couple functions that deal with it, and have toyed around with the feature a bit. Looking at one function in particular that feels wildly inefficient, so I wouldn't mind shortening it a bit with the intention of maybe adding something cool to it later. Also found a couple RAM values that are pretty interesting.

A: The first is a counter. Not terribly interesting on its own, but it increases and/or loops depending on the next value. Located at #020306C2.

B: Whatever this value is will change how blending effects are applied to PC/enemy sprites in battle. Located at #020306C4. These values are:
0 - Starts off with this, no effects are applied.
1 (or anything other than 0, 2, 4, 6) - Current unit/target sprite blinks white.
2 - All not-currently-selected sprites fade in and out, including PC portrait in lower left.
4 - As the counter increases, every not-currently-selected sprite fades until they are completely invisible; setting the counter back to a lower level will fade them back in.
6 - In menus; all not-currently-selected sprites are translucent. When selecting target; all not-currently-selected sprites completely invisible.

As far as I can tell, only 0 and 1 seem to be used most of the time.

Oh yeah. I was also hoping to find out if anyone knows of any instances outside of battle where transparency is applied specifically to object sprites rather than background layers. I think the lighthouse beacons might use it when initially lighting them, but beyond that I can't think of any. I'm doing research for reasons, so any other info I can get would help me tremendously.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?