News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Dark Dawn Tidbits

Started by Salanewt, 21, December, 2016, 12:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

I wasn't sure where else to post this...

Well anyway, over the past day or two I decided to take a look at some of the RAM data that is present in Dark Dawn. I'm just going to copy+paste some of what I have found in here:

Dark Dawn:
Growth:
02062F94 - Target (1 = enemy, 2 = ally, 3 = [special], 4 = self)
02062F95 - Formula (second 4-bit at least, there is more to it)
02062F96 - Element (0-3 but doesn't change in battle)
02062F97 - Added Effect
02062F98 - Icon
02062F9A - Utility
02062F9B - Can be used in battle?
02062F9C - Target Range
02062F9D - PP Cost
02062F9E - Power

Utility list:
x00 - Nothing
x01 - Move
x02 - Fireball
x03 - Growth
x04 - Whirlwind
x05 - (Summons a hand) (?)
x06 - Douse
x07 - (Rings) (?)
x08 - Retreat
x09 - Avoid (?)
x0A - (Rings) (?)
x0B - Insight
x0C - Spirit Sense (?)
x0D - (Summons a hand) (?)
x0E - (Rings) (?)
x0F - (?)
x10 - Search
x11 - (Rings) (?)

Added Ability effects:
x00 - Nothing
x01 - Cure Poison
x02 - Cure Other
x03 - Cure All
x04 - Restore HP (30%)
x05 - Restore HP (50%)
x06 - Restore HP (60%)
x07 - Restore HP (70%)
x08 - Restore HP (40%)
x09 - Restore PP (7%)
x0A - Restore PP (10%)
x0B - Restore PP (30%)
x0C - Revive (100%)
x0D - Revive (50%)
x0E - Revive (60%)
x0F - Revive (80%)
x10 - *Crashes game*
x11 - Attack Up (25%)
x12 - Attack Up (12.5%)
x13 - Attack Down (25%)
x14 - Attack Down (12.5%)
x15 - Defence Up (25%)
x16 - Defence Up (12.5%)
x17 - Defence Down (25%)
x18 - Defence Down (12.5%)
x19 - Resistance Up (25%)
x1A - Resistance Up (12.5%)
x1B - Resistance Down (25%)
x1C - Resistance Down (12.5%)
x1D - Agility Down x0.5
x1E - Agility x2
x1F -
x20 - Haze (block all damage)
x21 - Reduce Damage (%?)
x22 - Reduce Damage (%?)
x23 - Reduce Damage (%?)
x24 - Reduce Damage (%?)
x25 - Poison
x26 - Venom
x27 - Delusion
x28 - Delusion on all targets (100% hit)
x29 - Confusion
x2A - Charm
x2B - Stun
x2C - Stun (100% hit)
x2D - Sleep
x2E - Seal
x2F - Seal (100% hit)
x30 - Haunt
x31 - Condemn/KO
x32 - Curse
x33 - Curse (100% hit)
x34 - Regenerate
x35 - Reflect
x36 - HP Drain
x37 - PP Drain ?
x38 - Break
x39 -
x3A -
x3B -
x3C -
x3D -
x3E -
x3F -
x40 -
x41 -
x42 -
x43 -
x44 -
x45 -
x46 -
x47 -
x48 -
x49 -
x4A -
x4B -
x4C - Damage PP (7%)
x4D - Remove self from battle (treats as KO after battle)
x4E - 1-turn Stun
x4F - 1-turn Stun (priority?)
x50 - Rises to challenge
x51 - Readies for action
x52 -
x53 -
x54+ - Crashes game/emulator if used by player

And this is Isaac's base stats, when no djinn are set:

Level: 42
HP: 381
PP: 106
Atk: 298
Def: 172
Agi: 187
Luck: 3
Earth Pow: 104
Earth Res: 114
Water Pow: 78
Water Res: 88
Fire Pow: 76
Fire Res: 86
Wind Pow: 77
Wind Res: 87
Movepool:
- Quartz (replaced with Ragnarok when all djinn are set)
- Quake
- Earthquake
- Quake Sphere
- Spire
- Clay Spire
- Stone Spire
- Cure
- Ragnarok (replaced with Cure Well when all djinn are set)
- Potent Cure
Equipment:
- Short Sword
- Steel Armour
- Knight's Shield
- Leather Cap

Some interesting observations:

Charm/Confuse are still present, but they do absolutely nothing this time around whereas before they would at least disable the player's ability to pick actions for the afflicted characters. The "rises to the challenge" thing is similar, in that before it would prevent you from fleeing battle while now it doesn't. On that note, it seems like most of the ability effects that were in the original games made it back here but have been organized better.

Many ability effects will have added effects that play along with the standard animation. For example, making it so Growth can inflict Venom will cause purple blobs to appear around the target regardless of whether it lands or not. Also, it looks like the few enemies that flee (like Rat Soldier) will take poison damage even after a successful escape if they are inflicted with it. I don't know if it will register as a kill should they die from it, but I imagine so.

Target Range also works slightly differently from the looks of things, but is mostly the same. Damage = 0 for base damage doesn't even cause a line of text for damage to show up, but it is possible to deal 0 damage to a target and have the text display that if an ability's base damage is > 0.

While they function more like enemies, Isaac and Garet's stats will vary depending on how many djinn they have or should have set. They also seem to adhere to the same recovery process as normal characters, as you can enter a battle with only one or two being set per character.

Isaac's gear sucks, and I haven't looked at Garet's stats but he has the following abilities and gear at level 42 (regardless of djinni count from the looks of things):
- Heatwave
- Flare
- Flare Wall
- Flare Storm
- Starburst
- Nova
- Supernova
- Volcano
- Eruption

- Great Axe
- Steel Armour
- Knight's Shield
- Knight's Helm

So it also sucks but not as much.

And that's all for now I think.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Wow, Charm and Confuse are still in?  That... actually shocks me.  I know I say that it felt like a copy paste job, but I didn't mean that literally - I always meant it based on how similar the characters and classes were from before.  That's kind of... depressingly eye opening...

Salanewt

Lol, I know right? They aren't the only ones either! At least they organized things better, but most of the ability effects carried over from the previous games and work in mostly the same way as far as I can tell. Excluding animation modifiers of course.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Hmm... Off chance you can extract image data?  I've suspected for a while that there's several spell icons (and others) that use transparancy.  If you're able to get a clean extraction apart from the background, I'd love to see if my theories are correct.  Focus on the Flare Psynergy series for now if you can - it's the most notable one I want to check.  Plus, if you do manage to pull off clean extractions, I'd love to have DD Data Mined to hell and back for it's graphical details...

Salanewt

I can take a look but I'm not sure how effectively I will be able to do it. Are icons without the PP cost numbers available at least?

In the mean time I'm planning to figure out how to swap around battle animations so I can see if there are any unused ones. If I can figure that out.

Edit: A new tidbit for anyone not in the Discord chat: player Agility stats are NOT randomized when deciding turn order, unlike in the original games.

Edit 2: Here's an example of what I mean by the "many ability effects will have added effects" statement, using poison as an example (note that it does not need to actually land for the animation to play out). Skip to :07 and :30 if you wish, I'm not used to this recording software.

Rolina

Pretty sure they are - at least, someone in the spriter's resource was able to get them without their cost layered on top.

Salanewt

Cool. No luck on figuring out if transparency is a thing yet, but...

CONFIRMED: If you manage to kill Isaac or Garet during a tutorial battle, the battle log will say that they have been downed and their animations will freeze but not change. As in they will stand completely motionless, likely meaning that they don't have animations for getting downed (likely meaning that the code for when something on the player's side dies also freezes their animation after a certain amount of time, assuming this is done for some dumb reason like preventing their "just downed" animation from replaying on loop).

leaf

Assuming GS is built like any reasonable game engine, animations are most likely defined by a state machine. This is important, as we'll soon see. There's two possible reasons for getting stuck in their current animation, but they're quite similar:

Common:
- Isaac and Garet derive from the same base character class as all other playable characters
- Isaac and Garet don't have a downed animation, but *do* have a downed "state"
- The game detects their health is 0, so it places them into the downed state
Case 1)
- Since their downed state doesn't define an animation, it doesn't play one (i.e. whatever frame they were on, they become immediately stuck on, with current animation set to null, so it doesn't try to overwrite it)
Case 2)
- Most game engines have a flag on animations that defines whether or not they loop
- When the character enters the downed state, this flag gets overwritten with the downed state's default, but since an animation isn't defined, they remain in their current animation until the end of the current loop, which then stops

They're both *very* similar, but in case 1, the animation immediately stops, while in case 2, the animation stops only after completing its loop.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Salanewt

That's probably it actually, on top of Isaac and Garet maybe being treated the same way as monsters in the original games when they lack animations but in a setting where they don't fade or disintegrate. I also think there might be a time limit before it freezes them which is why I said that before, but I can't remember for sure either because I wasn't really paying that much attention. If so then there may be a slight variation on that first case.

Edit: It's hard to tell because they are barely animated to start with, but it does look like there's a period of time before they actually freeze. It's the exact amount of time it takes for another character's downed animation to play out (Karis in my test).

Next up: Research into something I guess. Going to scan RAM stuff for a little bit to see if I can find anything interesting.

Salanewt

Some more tidbits!

Maps:
- Carver's Camp has an eastern exit going to Bilibin (two warps on that side of the map actually), along with one unused house interior and another that is inaccessible.
- Border Town has a western exit going to Bilibin; both this and the previous maps also have overworld entrances that match up properly.
- Some parts of the ocean have collision present for icebergs, even before the Eclipse..
- The Eclipse effect in maps only occurs after the Eclipse happens, even in areas that you can only access when the Eclipse is activated...
 - Champa's theme is the same that plays in Harapa when there is no Eclipse, but there are still fires and dead bodies everywhere because there aren't pre-Eclipse versions/states of these maps.
- Ayuthay has one or two early versions of a part of its exterior, one of which is very blocky and only has placeholder textures.
- Eclipse battles won't happen anywhere unless the Eclipse is happening as far as I can tell, except for the Endless Wall and maybe Apollo.
- Eoleo's cage is present in two versions of Belinsk Castle's exterior map (pre and post-Luna Tower), but can only be swatted down in the post-Luna version; it will vanish in both versions upon doing so.

Battles:
- Manticore and Momangler exist as unused enemies; while Momangler is pretty functional and is just slightly weaker than Squirrelfang, Manticore is barely animated (only changes its facial expression when attacked) and has weak placeholder stats.
- In a similar vein, there are unused djinn enemies based on existing djinn, plus one Venus djinni that crashes the game when encountered.
- There are also five random enemies after boss data, presumably they were used in E4 demos; I might test the leftover E4 maps later.
- There aren't many unused abilities, but the ones that do exist seem to be enemy-exclusive like some breath variants.
- Chaos Chimera, Star Magician, and Dullahan use the same elemental stats/tables as their counterparts in GS2 (if Chaos Chimera = Doom Dragon in this case). They are also the only enemies to have elemental levels above 6 now, whereas many bosses did in the previous games.
- In fact, most enemies from the first two games that made it into this one have the same elemental stats as before, with some exceptions (e.g. Pyrodra).

There are also several unfinished NPC models that are improperly textured, some of which are even in their T-poses when they walk around. From the looks of things at least; we have only seen these in some of the older/debug maps.

Edit: I forgot one! Yepp is mentioned in some text somewhere. Here's an image or two: