News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Can anyone explain this?

Started by Plexa, 07, July, 2017, 01:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plexa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIdt53_mqXQ

Why on earth is the item pulled by the retreat glitch the Sol Blade?

Bonus: you get different garbage text by talking to the stone from different directions.

Salanewt

Huh, I guess the Retreat glitch also messed with the behaviour of stones and stuff? Does it do anything weird with chests too?

It kind of looks like it did something to the stone's scripting, hence the garbage text and the item. I don't have an explanation beyond that though!

Nice find!
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Plexa

Yeah so we know retreat chests is a thing. We know that interacting with psynergy stones and/or mimics is equivalent to interacting with chests so far as the retreat glitch is concerned. Why we get the Sol blade in Airs Rock, however, is unknown. Other instances where I've gotten glitchy text I've had the following items given to me
- Long Sword
- Silver Blade
- ?
- "It looks like something is buried there maybe I can dig it out" (and scoop does nothing)

Nothing as gamebreaking as the Sol Blade

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Oh!! Good find!

Treasure Chests and Psynergy Stones do use the same table... so if your Retreat Map is different than your current map, strange things could happen...

So that is map 0x56? ... Okay... The Retreat Map is 0x55... and that Treasure data starts at 080F2562.

It looks like it is trying to get second entry when that map only has one treasure entry.

4055 FFFF = (55 is the map id)
0080 0006 0F3A 00B6

That is /suppose/ to be all that data for that map... but then look at the next entry:

405A FFFF 0080 000A

^Ah. would you look at that. It gets out of line and reads data as something that it isn't even intended to be.
0080 is read as the flag id (Which is originally intended to be Treasure type for first treasure in map 0x5A)
000A happens to be read as the item reward. (Suppose to be location id (Probably meant object id in my doc?) for the first treasure in map 0x5A) (*fix'd ... I'm always making mistakes. :O)

Flag 0x080 does get reset when switching maps, and item 0xA is the Sol Blade.

--
So we're not just focusing on Chest/Stones:

0080 = Treasure chest
0081 = Mimic
0082 = Psynergy Stone
0083 = Visible Item
0084 = Summon Tablet
0085 = Item in pond
Anything less than 0x80 is basically a text id to something that basically says "there was nothing found".. (For jars/barrels/etc.) If I remember correctly...

@0x80 = Imagine if you could find a way to set an event flag that could help you skip a good portion of the game like this.... I have no idea if that's possible with the current data, but is interesting to think about. Unfortunately, this specific flag index 0x80 is useless.... (Outside of it being reset so you can get more items.) - I could see maybe enabling more PCs (as Isaac?) if we're lucky probably (That being if we can find the numbers ranging from 0000-0003, and maybe 0007 if they even exist. And even if they do, adhereing to the Retreat Glitch makes it very limiting to even access...), but... ehhh????

(Hmm... Treasure type might not be the only piece of data that can be read as a flag... maybe map number too if you are in a room with a ton of treasure? Eh.... I'd have to think on that...)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Plexa

Hahaha this is amazing. As I mentioned the stuff I've found with this is usually useless, amazing that it just is coincidentally the sol blade.

Rolina

That's pretty impressive.  I kinda wish you'd been livestreaming when you discovered that, rather than showing off the discovery.  I'd have loved to have seen your reaction. XD

Can you get that from any entry into that area, or does it have to be from that specific entrance into the room?

Yep... Definitely amazing!

Curious about GS1? Did GS1 have any early end-game gear? Or is that still up for research?

Speaking of GS1:
If we can manage to set flag 0x005 at any time in the game.... then we can also get rid of random battles if I recall?  Gosh, it came so close. :/
Though the flag is Jenna's flag, you do not actually have to have Jenna in your party. (e.g. Isaacs are fine.)
Jenna would need more than 130 xp to disable random battles.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Plexa

Quote from: Rolina on 07, July, 2017, 06:00:36 PM
That's pretty impressive.  I kinda wish you'd been livestreaming when you discovered that, rather than showing off the discovery.  I'd have loved to have seen your reaction. XD

Can you get that from any entry into that area, or does it have to be from that specific entrance into the room?
Haha it was pretty underwhelming, I just started laughing hysterically. Of all places for something this ridiculous it HAD to be airs rock which is already the most busted dungeon of the whole game.

It has to be the alternate entry into airs rock. This is why it's taken this long to find it.

Quote from: Fox on 07, July, 2017, 06:06:06 PM
Yep... Definitely amazing!

Curious about GS1? Did GS1 have any early end-game gear? Or is that still up for research?

Speaking of GS1:
If we can manage to set flag 0x005 at any time in the game.... then we can also get rid of random battles if I recall?  Gosh, it came so close. :/
Though the flag is Jenna's flag, you do not actually have to have Jenna in your party. (e.g. Isaacs are fine.)
Jenna would need more than 130 xp to disable random battles.
Nothing in GS1 because no retreat chests. Which is unfortunate but alas.

Yeah the only way we can conceivably stop encounters is by leaving Sol Sanctum early ... which remains elusive to this day!

Rolina

Hmm... so if I simply enter that door normally and backtrack, would I be able to get the Sol Blade?  Or do I need to have make a Retreat Warp first?

Plexa

Quote from: Rolina on 07, July, 2017, 08:01:48 PM
Hmm... so if I simply enter that door normally and backtrack, would I be able to get the Sol Blade?  Or do I need to have make a Retreat Warp first?
Correct! Just enter through that door, back track to the entrance (either via the whirlwind statue or the convenient retreat warp), do the retreat glitch and talk to the psynergy stone and you get the blade. Just keep in mind that if you're in retreat glitch mode and you get an encounter the effect goes away :)

Rolina

So stock up on sacred feathers to try it out myself, got it.  I'll have to try it sometime.  Good job.

QuoteNothing in GS1 because no retreat chests. Which is unfortunate but alas.
Ohh!!! That's nice and not nice at the same time... I mean, it kind of gives me more to compare to Dark Dawn with...

*Looks up how chests are done in GS1*
Apparently, it is done as an event entry in map code... (The interaction part, anyway... which matters most.) .... Interesting.... So yeah, doesn't seem to be abuseable.

And the 32-bit that's usually a pointer to thumb code is the item reward and I assume Treasure Type? (A little different from GS2's version....) You can do Coins and Items. I don't think that occurs anywhere in GS2 map code data.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden