News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Game Crash from falling Z-coordinate and retreat glitch

Started by Plexa, 08, September, 2017, 02:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plexa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_aclH14a4

Found by fx (definitelynotfx on twitch)

Going into the ICG state in this particular room and jumping around will cause your Z coordinate to descend infinitely. Entering retreat mode and then save/reset will cause a game crash on load. Apparently it causes the glitch out making noises similar to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPwQR8xeEGU

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Oh cool... About the infinite falling thing... But doesn't the crash happen without the ladder glitch as well? Hmm...

I'll look, but it wouldn't surprise me if both rooms used different map code files and that's why. No idea, yet, though.

Edit:  They do use different map code files. But not sure which part causes the crash yet.

Edit:  It is possible this could be similar to the mirror puzzles.... there's pointers to 02009AA9... see the objects at 02030EBC... will look a little further, though.
Those are the Lift blocks.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Plexa

I played around trying to get the crash just by lowering the Z-coordinate, but I was unable to replicate it. It definitely is because of the infinitely falling Z-coordinate. It is probably similar to the Anemos sanctum crash.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I tried it again.
I went to the Retreat Map (Went to World Map and back just to make sure it sets it correctly.)
Then I went to that room.
(Did not bother with ladder glitch... even though I did try that a little earlier.)
I Retreat Glitch.
Save.
Restart.
(Made sure Debug Mode was on because that's what I usually use/and since it can affect sanctum warping.)
And I get a crash.

So unless I did something wrong (doubt it), there's definitely a crash not involving glitching the z-coord.  (At the minimum.) ... (Doesn't prove changing the coords can't cause a crash, but anyway.... I need to investigate those Lift blocks.... since those are like the only "objects" here... (Other than chests/Isaac)  ... Like 4 objects in list (if ignoring Isaac)... and two of them (Lift blocks) appear to be at (0,0)?)

^I mean, the code pointers in the NPC data ... when called... when a different map code file is used... would cause a memory leak  (depending on pointer) ... (What do you call it when you skip putting stuff in the stack/take it out as though it were there?) ... which basically messes everything up.... esp. when return addresses are put in the stack, and some values that aren't return addresses are treated as such.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)