News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

FIFA 2010 Football Tournement - South Africa

Started by Charon, 14, June, 2010, 10:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charon

Discuss (why the heck hasn't someone made this topic already?!).

-------------------------
I haven't watched all of the games, but I heard the Aussies were pushed aside by the Germans - they won 4-0 lol

Also, the USA/England game on Saturday was quite awesome. I think it's quite funny how we got the goal though - the goalie tried to deflect it and yet he failed. lol

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Meh. I don't watch soccer, or any other sport for that matter, I find them boring.

But why is it so hyped up for? All across my street all you can see is flags for the various teams competing....

And with that, I probably won't post in this topic again.

Charon

Dude, if you don't get why people are excited about it...

It's awesome to watch. There's a lot of excitement over who will win. I mean, come on! England versus America! Last time that happened it was 1776. It's weird though, I don't really know which side I should root for because I was born and raised in America but my father is English...

It's also humerous to see the Aussies get owned

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

MaxiPower

Yea im watching it, England should of hammered the States to be quite honest. England played terrible and America played suprisenly good (not enough to win the tournment tho) But they defo have made improvements and have had great success in recent months. Shame Ireland isnt in The WC, they were cheated out of it tho by France lol...

Who cant watch the World Cup... Im not a big football fan but its defo the best sporting event going.

Brazil, Germany or Spain will more or less dominate it

BTW kudos for calling it Football and not soccer lol

Salanewt

I don't think Canada even has a team in, so that reduces my interest even further. They are using some of our grass for their playing fields though.

Besides, I am not very interested in sports. Exceptions are if it has to do with swimming or archery.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Charon

Canada doesn't have a team? That's weird. They have all the African teams but not Canada... o.o

Quote from: MaxiPower on 14, June, 2010, 11:17:56 AM
BTW kudos for calling it Football and not soccer lol
The sport Americans call "Football" is a lie.

Rolina

...Why must every forum I'm in have some crazy soccer thread?  I dun gettit...

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 14, June, 2010, 04:26:15 PM
...Why must every forum I'm in have some crazy soccer thread?  I dun gettit...

Because "Soccer" is the leading sport in the world lol, Canada does have a footie team, they just like Ireland ( cough http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxw1-Id91lQ&feature=related cough who were cheated) didnt have  qualify...

Thats one thing I dont get however. to qualify for the world cup, America has to play against teams such as Mexico, Canada, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Haiti and all of those island countries. most if not all are bum teams wereas Ireland must face off against France, Italy, England, Germany, The Netherlands (Holand) etc

Doesnt make sense

Salanewt

Yeah, it kind of upsets me that Canada doesn't qualify. At least we have enough sod to go around for the Football games.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

I dunno, with the Canadian Youth Soccer League's new rule about "if you win by >5 points, you lose", I think it's just a karmic kick in the balls.  Soccer pros scoff at them for such a stupid rule.

Edit:  No, I'm not making crap up.  See for yourself:  Canadian Youth Soccer League: Winning by More Than Five Counts as a Loss

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 14, June, 2010, 09:33:58 PM
I dunno, with the Canadian Youth Soccer League's new rule about "if you win by >5 points, you lose", I think it's just a karmic kick in the balls.  Soccer pros scoff at them for such a stupid rule.

What a terrible rule, Is there any reason why a rule such as that should be in place.. Doesn't that go against the point in lots of training + Effort = a better performance that should be rewarded. Scoring multiple goals gives the team more confidence. Hindering how kids should play is absurd....

Rolina

I can understand the five point mercy rule, but this is just... no.  Just no.

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 14, June, 2010, 09:45:42 PM
I can understand the five point mercy rule, but this is just... no.  Just no.

what is this rule?

Is it if your being beaten 5 nil you get to forfeit?

Rolina

No, basically any points scored beyond the five above the opponents don't count, they're just essentially slapping them in the face.  Insult to injury kinda thing.  "Ha ha, we're scoring points against you, and are so far ahead they pretty much are no longer needed!"

It's supposed to give sucky teams a chance, but I like my version better.

So if the opponent has three points, you can only get 8.  Beyond that, they don't count... until they get another point, then you can reach 9 the next time you score a goal.

When I was playing softball as a kid, they had a 4 points per inning thing that was basically the same thing - when you hit four, it was basically a "You guys suck, so we're gonna let you try batting now.  Do TRY to catch up!"

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 14, June, 2010, 09:57:07 PM
No, basically any points scored beyond the five above the opponents don't count, they're just essentially slapping them in the face.  Insult to injury kinda thing.  "Ha ha, we're scoring points against you, and are so far ahead they pretty much are no longer needed!"

It's supposed to give sucky teams a chance, but I like my version better.

So if the opponent has three points, you can only get 8.  Beyond that, they don't count... until they get another point, then you can reach 9 the next time you score a goal.

When I was playing softball as a kid, they had a 4 points per inning thing that was basically the same thing - when you hit four, it was basically a "You guys suck, so we're gonna let you try batting now.  Do TRY to catch up!"

Thats another terrible rule, not so much as bad as the other but still.... If two teams are tieing on a scoreboard, the goal difference decides the one who comes up on top. Canadian football fails. Sorry Sala..

Salanewt

That is fine, I barely follow or support sports anyway. I just want to support the teams, but I did not know of this rule from before (thank goodness our Hockey doesn't seem to have similar rules).

Have a nice day.

Rolina

Yeah, I found out about that in an article floating around the web titled:  Why Canada Sucks.  Being an American, I HAD to read it. XD

No offense, Sala.  A lot of the people are cool, you're proof enough of that - but the country itself is kinda... pfft...

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 14, June, 2010, 10:20:08 PM
Yeah, I found out about that in an article floating around the web titled:  Why Canada Sucks.  Being an American, I HAD to read it. XD

No offense, Sala.  A lot of the people are cool, you're proof enough of that - but the country itself is kinda... pfft...

theres a whole site dedicated to America

http://www.whyamericasucks.com/

Salanewt

QuoteNo offense, Sala.  A lot of the people are cool, you're proof enough of that - but the country itself is kinda... pfft...

None taken, and thanks for the compliment. In all honesty though, some areas are quite nice. I dislike Toronto, despite having lived there for a while. The further away from Ottawa you get, the better (though Quebec has a large population of strange people itself, which often overshadows the cool population, and the western provinces have an "Evil Ontario" mentality in some groups and regions). I do admit that some of our laws are a bit strange, but I like many other things. I might talk about them in a different topic though.

Now, which team can I support? Until I decide, I shall support our grass!

Have a nice day.

Cool. No offense, but I feel strangely compelled to read that article... I suppose I will take a look at that, and then the Canada one.