News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Crown - Opinions?

Started by Charon, 07, September, 2010, 12:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charon

Any opinions on the new mercury adept Crown? Personally, I hope he's not named that when the game hits the US in November. I'm kinda curious to how he'd play out, but I hope he doesn't end up a useless mage like Ivan and Sheba essentially did.

I think it's hilarious that so many people thought he was going to be a girl though. XD

Rolina

In our defense, it looked like it from behind.  All we had was the robe, which kinda looks like a dress from the rear, and the hair, which from that angle could have been either or.

Then we got the picture from the front.  While to those of us who have developed trap-dar it's OBVIOUSLY male, not even trap-male but regular male, apparently those who haven't still think he may be a girl.  Which is silly.  He's clearly a boy now, he doesn't even scream reverse trap.

My hope?  After Karis is confirmed to have healing, I really don't want him to be a healer.  Especially since, if the scans are to be believed, it'd mean his class is Mia's Angel Class.  I'm sorry, he just... doesn't look like an angel.  At all.  It'd make more sense to have scholar-themed classes, to match his researcher nature, you know?

Griever

I think he will be an attacker mage ..... i don't think he will be a healer since they seem to have a healer between the three characters, Matthew and Tyrell ( not sure how to spell his name ... its spelled different every where) are both warrior like characters and Karis had some healing spells.
And i do hope he will be a lot more useful than Ivan and Sheba since i always seem to replace them whenever i can ... lol

Aile~♥

Well, his battle sprite looks like a girl from behind, and his in-game portrait (from what we've seen of it) looks like it could be either.

And I seriously hope he's not a healer, because we've already got one. Actually, we've already got two: Matthew (single-target) and Karis (target all).
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 07, September, 2010, 01:44:36 PM
Well, his battle sprite looks like a girl from behind, and his in-game portrait (from what we've seen of it) looks like it could be either.

And I seriously hope he's not a healer, because we've already got one. Actually, we've already got two: Matthew (single-target) and Karis (target all).
No, from the front he's clearly male.

Anywho, from the looks of it so far, I'm really hoping he has a unique class.  So far, it looks like Karis has a remixed version of Wind Seer that has weak area healing in it.  That doesn't bode well, to be honest.  Plus, we'd already have two healers then, there'd be no need for a third - please, single target healing at most, but I'd prefer a new class that's more offensive spell oriented.

Griever

An offensive spell oriented class with a fume like mercury spell that is more useful than the wind seer class series i would say......... wind seer was really useless against bosses ... except for the impact spell maybe.

Rolina

Actually, that first-move Impact/High Impact is really useful.  However, past the fourth turn, the usefulness starts to go down.  It's pretty much stuck on buffing duty, Angel/Justice on healing duty, and the fighters on Unleash/EPA spam.  That's what it'd normally devolve into.  HOWEVER, if they fixed spell damage, then wind seer would have been dealing just as much damage with its spells as the EPAs were doing.

Salanewt

Well, I always found Ivan to be the most useful in terms of area damage (Garet was my best single focus offence (when focusing on one enemy), Isaac was balanced, and Mia was more of a healer). As for the second party, Felix and Sheba kept their counterparts, while Jenna was more like Isaac without the healing (up until I had enough djinn to give her the Aura series), and Piers was like Garet. In the end, I would prefer to play the game with only Ivan or Sheba with the Wind Seer series instead of the other characters, except for Jenna.

As for Crown, I am hoping that he will be a Mercury Jenna trapped in an Ivan clone's body. Basically, a Mercury moveset equivalent to Jenna's base abilities, adding a few more multi-target psynergies and removing healing (waiting for a second party when/if created).

QuoteIt'd make more sense to have scholar-themed classes, to match his researcher nature, you know?

Wait, how do we know that this is his personality? I do recall seeing that page though, so perhaps someone has translated it for us?

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Griever

A mercury Jenna like character..... isn't a bad idea also having an offense only mercury character is nice ....... since i think Karis will be stuck healing on boss fights if i'm not mistaken .... to have Crown as a good damage dealer will be a nice addition to the party.

Salanewt

Oh yeah, healing is fine for every character as long as we can access it through other classes. I mean, why throw out Aura just because it does not look like anyone will have it in their base class? I have a feeling that there is plenty of information that will not be released for quite some time.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

leaf

The jupiter healing spells are so bad that I'd be surprised if they're intended to be used beyond mid-game. They're the worst group healing we've seen so far. The first tier heals 40, the second tier heals 80, and presumably the third tier heals 160. Compare this to the aura line's 50-100-200 and the wish line's 80-160-400. Granted, this is assuming they're keeping the others the same, but I'm pretty sure that I saw the cure line as being the same, at least. At the very least, we should expect crown to have the ply line, maybe with some new support psys in the event he doesn't get wish.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Charon

Perhaps he's a mix, like the Pure Mage class.

Salanewt

There is a difference between Aura and the Jupiter healing spells, aside from what you have already stated. Aura is something that you normally earn past Posiedon (and that should be slightly past the halfway mark), whereas you get the Jupiter spells earlier on, quite possibly when you first attain Karis. You do have a point about how long this new set should be useful, but it is nice to have for group healing near the start of the game (that is, until you get more djinn and Crown, djinn can give you classes with Wish (if we still get Wish), and Crown who should come with healing, looking at Camelot).

Have a nice day.

Ooh, Pure Mage sounds cool. I would think that he is like Jenna, Ivan, and Mia combined, and then recieved a pair of glasses as a gift from Kraden.

Griever

A group heal that heals for 40 - 80 - 160 isn't as bad as you think ...... since the Jupiter power should have an effect on it ...
when i first got the Aura series with Jenna i remember it healed for 80s even though it said it heals the whole group for 50.
So i don't think the Jupiter Group heal will be that bad ...
Yes it will be weak at the start of the game .... but till Karis gets tier 2 and 3 of the spell then it should get alot better ... with Mia i didn't need to use the Pure Wish Psynergy since the 2nd Tier (Wish Well) was more than enough for me even when i got to the Final boss ...
At lvl 40+ .. Wish well was healing for like 200 while Cool Aura for around 400 if i needed it ....
And again this is just what i think.

If the Pure mage Crown will be stronger than Ivan/Sheba then that will be really good but if they decide to make him into a Ivan/Sheba like Character i think i will replace him as soon as i can.

Rolina

Agreed, this is base class healing we're talking about.  It gets a HUGE boost.  However, remember the part where healing is too powerful? I personally wouldn't mind not letting a mercury adept have healing in their base class.  Unless they fix Ply/Pray and Wish to not jump formula 3rd tier, I say don't let him have it in base class.  Rather, make it non-base only and it should be fine.

Griever

Yah i can see what you mean...
Pure Ply was a bit overpowered ... actually a lot ><
I dont even remember having more than 600-800 Hp even when fighting the final boss.

If the final tier Jupiter healing spell reached at least 190-200 that should be fine ...

As for Crown not having a heal ... i will welcome that .... Venus adepts always ends up with single heal and having that Jupiter Heal Psynergy will be more than enough for any boss, else healing items will lose its meaning ..

Other than Water of Life i didn't need to use any other Item ... even in boss fights ..

Salanewt

To be honest, I can not even remember using a herb unless I was out of psynergy, since either Isaac or Felix would almost always have Cure by the time I needed healing. So yeah, Crown without healing would be fine. I am basically hoping for a Mercury Ivan, since I do not see someone with that build yet.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

Pure Play was a guaranteed fullheal in the hands of a Mercury adept in their base class.  Pure Wish was just as bad.  Sure, you may say it's only 40-80 more HP healing, but multiply that by four, since you're healing the whole party.  That's an extra 160-320 HP healing due to Pure Wish jumping formula.

This is also why I prefer a Venus Healer - canon says it's not as strong as Mercury, so we can easily make an area healing spell that's weaker and not too powerful, while still being pretty decent.  Thus, Ila.

Griever

I always imagined that either Earth (Venus in our case) or Water (Mercury) where intended for healing....
Making a Venus heal is pretty nice.

Well lets just hope that Crown comes with a good unique class not some useless class like Ivan/Sheba ..... they were only good on taking on normal monsters but were useless when it comes to bosses .... we can even replace impact with one of the Mars Djinn (i forgot which one).

And even if he ended up being a mercury copy of Ivan/Sheba ..... giving him a mercury copy of Fume psyergy will probably make up for that ....