News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Golden Sun based RPG (For Windows xD)

Started by Crystal Sonata, 27, May, 2011, 07:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crystal Sonata

I wasn't sure whether this qualified as Golden Sun hacking, so i decided to post it here. Im currently working on a Golden Sun based RPG, using my coding skills. I only know how to do windows though so if anyone is better i give you permission to port it when im done >.<. Anyway this will be the official thread for updates on that and possibly in the future following Atrius's approval, have download links here. Now there are a few things i need here:

I need some character ideas. Names, basic bios, what they will be in general.

Storyline ideas. Im dead out of them. I could also use some maps as well.

As far as i know that is it. Hopefully nothing is forgotten. Im currently working on getting some game code from a couple of other games for it that will be the foundation then i can get started. Also i'll be coding it in the "Ruby" coding language so any scripts on something you want put in would help.

Sayonara~
        Momo-Kun.
Anything I post here is solely my opinion, and is not proven fact, unless I specify otherwise.

If I say anything that offends you, grow a set.

Charon

leaf

Wait... lemme get this straight: You're creating a game for windows, based on golden sun, but have yet to actually get anything done on it, and are now asking for everyone here to do all of the creative work for you? Do you have any idea how obnoxious that sounds? Nevermind the fact that there are already a bunch of character designs on this site in the community hack section that you could probably use, or the fact that this community never retains interest in anything for prolonged periods of time, making it unlikely for them to see the project to its conclusion even if they did hop on board for it initially. Furthermore, it's a lot easier for someone with creative ideas to find a programmer that wants to program it than the other way around.

Good luck. You'll need it.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Rolina

Dood, it's Momo we're talking about here.

Salanewt

This is supposed to be a discussion topic for it; I think Momo wants to make this game to reflect what the community likes.

Anyway, I will offer some ideas soon. This seems like it might be a fun idea, so I might be able to help out once exams are done.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

Ah, to be in the "honeymoon" stages of fan game development...

Generally the more proof you have that you're developing a working product the better received you'll be.  If you just come around and announce "I want to make something" with absolutely no concepts, or direction you're only shooting yourself in the foot.  That's a symptom of a complete beginner so you basically just hung a huge sign around your neck that says "I have no idea what I'm doing"

I don't really want you to feel discouraged or anything though.  There's nothing wrong with being a complete beginner, you have to start somewhere right?  I know when I first started programming I never had a plan before I started a project, it is definitely an excellent learning experience to just jump in and start working.  Even now I still do it a lot when I come up with an idea that I want to test out.  I have piles upon piles of absolutely useless programs that are the result of me diving into code with only the thought "I want to make this, right now" in my head.  I would never say it was pointless for me to start working on them in the first place though, that's how I learned virtually everything that I know about programming.

For serious projects though, you definitely want some proof that you're making progress on a working product before you announce it.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Awec

Isn't 'Ruby' the coding language used in RPG Maker?
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Crystal Sonata

Ok so....Leafgreen and Role....Why so FRIGGIN hostile??? Salanewt- You read my mind.....Charon-No offense but no help at all but ill see about pics. Atrius- Ive actually programmed a couple of simple games before and im wanting to move on to something a bit more challenging.

Awec-Thats actually true. Which gives me an idea. I just might use VX to make the game or something. How about it guys, self coding or RPG Maker VX?

On side notes- Leafgreen, im asking for some ideas not the entire game base. You have no idea how much ive already put into it.
Role- That was plain un called for. Please edit that.
Anything I post here is solely my opinion, and is not proven fact, unless I specify otherwise.

Salanewt

I think it depends on the functionality of each; as they both offer different alternatives from what I recall. It might be easier to go with RPG Maker, but coding it yourself offers other opportunities too.

Anyway, I forgot to offer some ideas. I think I will do that once exams are out of the way, but do you have any material to share with us? Having a paragraph or two of the plot and/or some pictures can really help us generate ideas for you.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Edit what?  You're making a game apparently called "No, this isn't Golden Sun, stop saying it is or even a copy of golden sun!  Why are you doing this?  Stop being mean Role!" 

I've come to expect this from you.

Crystal Sonata

Let me write that up Sala. Ill also get to work on some screenshots.

EDIT: And "Miss" Role. You arent generating anything that is actually for the thread. I wonder if that would be considered Spam?

Rolina

I'm contributing to the conversation.  Technically, that's not spam.  Unfortunately, momo, spam is not defined as "anything momo happens to find disagreeable".  I am merely responding to the comments of others.  If you have a problem with that, deal.

Add on the fact that I really don't think this will go anywhere, and you can see why I'm not suggesting anything to you.  As atrius said, maybe if you actually had something to show us, even a simple tech demo of what you're wanting to do, I might be more willing to help out, but right now it just looks like some far off distant dream.  I mean, the odds of it being pulled off seem about the same as Zman's anime, so... Until you can prove me wrong, I'm gonna agree with leaf here.  Good luck with this - you'll need it.

Salanewt

Ah, but spam could also be considered as information that does not contribute to the original topic. After all, being off topic does not actually contribute to the topic at hand. Making a comment or joke about someone, unless the topic/current conversation calls for it, is enough to either be spam or even trolling. Besides, Momo seems to have enough from what we have been told;

QuoteOn side notes- Leafgreen, im asking for some ideas not the entire game base. You have no idea how much ive already put into it.

Before making any accusations about whether work has been done or not, I would wait to see some characters or plot, which reminds me of something. How are the snapshots coming along Momo?

Awec

No offence Role, but what you're posting is bordering on flaming.

Momo
I would recommend coding it yourself completely. It's more satisfying; figuring out how to do something yourself is always better than having it done for you.
Also, when you say you need ideas for characters, what type of characters? Adepts, Non-Adepts, PCs, NPCs, Protagonists, Antagonists...?
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

leaf

Modus Operandi for stuff like this: Don't assume anyone's done more than what they show you. You haven't shown that you've done anything. Therefore, I will continue to assume you have nothing done.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Rolina

Quote from: leafgreen386 on 15, June, 2011, 02:36:40 PM
Modus Operandi for stuff like this: Don't assume anyone's done more than what they show you. You haven't shown that you've done anything. Therefore, I will continue to assume you have nothing done.
Pretty much this.  Unless I see something, I don't think it'll go anywhere.  And I'm not the one throwing insults, Awec - sarcasm, yes.  Insults?  No.  If we get something out of momo to show that this can go somewhere, then sure, I'll apologize and help out.

But I don't expect it - she's not even contributed to the Community Hack, after all.  Or heck, I've not seen much out of her on any other hacks... so if tool-assisted hacks get nothing, a GS Clone for windows I can't see getting anything either.

Salanewt

Quote from: leafgreen386 on 15, June, 2011, 02:36:40 PM

But at the same time, you shouldn't assume that someone is lying unless they tell you, or there is actual evidence to suggest that they are lying. Innocent until proven guilty, right? Besides, Momo has probably been really busy lately; it would be best to wait for some explanations before you talk like this.

Rolina

This is the internet, not the US Court System, Sala.  You can't take anyone at their word without proof.  People blindly trusting others has caused rapes and murders in the past.  That's why we don't use real info online even if we're not bad people.

As such, she claims she's got stuff done.   As the immortal saying goes:  "Pics or it didn't happen".

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I think it is fair enough to just contribute up to the ammount that he has already showed us, and no more.. For the sake of officially calling the majority of it his hack. Should we want another unexpected Community Hack where everyone shares about the same amount of credit?

QuoteI need some character ideas. Names, basic bios, what they will be in general.

In general? Easy enough, I guess. I'll put some extremely basic characters up here right now.

Leon - He has a hard time remember where he is at. He can get a bit annoying sometimes. He use to be an owner to a store (or a place), but since he just forgets things, he lets everyone else handle the dirty work. He has Amnesia.

Terry - Leon's wife. She's outgoing and she helps Leon out no matter the cost. Without her, who knows where Leon would be right now. She also was the one who helped Leon to get his own business.

That's kinda random, but atleast it should get you started. (Hopefully this helps you get more stuff up so the others can help? Maybe?)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

I never even referenced the US Court System? Either way, we can probably trust Momo with having done some of this already. When this topic was first created, she was seeking ideas and suggestions; not the framework of the entire game. I recall something being said about getting some information up soon, it would probably be best.

Names huh? Cool.

Edit: Not to mention that the game was probably very early in development, posting too much information on something like this could make theft more likely; especially since these sorts of things are usually not copyrighted. Now, could we please stop having this discussion in here? This is for ideas on Momo's game, not arguing about whether she is telling the truth or not.