News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Golden Sun 1 Overworld Sprites Problem

Started by Joalphski, 03, July, 2012, 01:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joalphski

Hello everybody.  I just got into ROM gaming a month ago, and I really think it's awesome.  I saw this one video on YouTube that allows you to run around the Overworld and stuff as different characters other than Issac.  I've really really really wanted to run around as Mia cause I like her and stuff, so how is that possible?  Here's the link to the video, but I don't understand how to get the sprites to work.  He says something about VBA codes, but I don't quite know how to enable those.  Here's the code list if anyone wants to see.  I have the Golden Sun TLA editor, but I don't think it has anything to do with changing your character.  I'm very inexperienced with hacking and computers, but I'd love to learn some things from the pros.   :happy:
http://www.mitxela.com/atrius/GSCharacterCodeList.txt

http://youtu.be/PLffZyGEjj8

If anyone could help it'd be much appreciated.  I'm very happy to be here with you all, and I hope we can find a solution to my problem.   :Mia:

Misery

Okay then, you're using the VisualBoy Advance emulator, right? That's what VBA codes means, it's just codes you enter in VBA. In the "Cheats" tab, you go to cheat list, and click the "Cheat..." button to bring up a window where you can enter the memory address (the left-most 8 digit number in that list) and what you want to change the value at that address to (the number at the right of the colon in the list). I think you need to have the right size checked too, 2-digit values are 8-bit, 4 digits are 16-bit and 8 digit 32-bit.

That should do it. I haven't tried it myself, though.

Joalphski

I am using the Visual Boy Emulator.  Alrighty, I understand what you're saying so far.  So I want to enter the number at the top of the list under character 3 (that's Mia's overworld Sprite).  What should I change the sizes to?  Just copy that top number down first, then what do I do?

Character 3
03002E00:0003  <-----THIS ONE, not the ones below right, or do I copy them all?  
03002E07:03
03002E08:081AC59C
03002E0C:08187D2C

I can't believe this is actually starting to make some sense!  I feel great!  So far so good, but we'll get this done!  I know it.  Thank you for your help so far.  

Edit:
Ok, I just checked it and it says stuff like address, value, and description.  Then is says size and number format.  What do I put in each of these out of the numbers I put above, and what size and number format do I click?  Once I know it'll all be good and hopefully this mystery will be solved.  I believe for the size it needs to be 32-bit but I don't know.

Misery

Oh, right. All numbers listed under the character you want to display should be entered individually. First as 16-bit, second as 8-bit, last two as 32-bit.

Joalphski

I am at a loss for words.  This is amazing.  I can't believe it actually worked.....  :D :D :D :D :D  Thank you so much!  I can't thank you enough for what you just did for me.  Thank you so much!  Time to go mess around!  Once more, thank you!  I never could have done it without you!

Oh wait, one problem.  It works in towns and dungeons, but not on the overworld map screen.  Hmmmmm, could I find the overworld screen code and enable it the same way I enabled this one or is it more complicated that that?  Anyway, at least I can go mess around in dungeons.  This'll be amazing.  Thank you!  If you find a way to get it to work on the Map Screen that'd be great. 

Atrius (He/Him)

If I recall correctly there was a problem with the overworld codes, it edited a section in memory used while loading levels, and caused the game to lock up because of it or something like that.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Joalphski

Oh great.  That's all I need now is lock up.  :/  Oh well.  The Dungeons and the Towns are where I'll spend all my time anyway, so I guess there's no problem with the overworld map stuff so long my game didn't lock up.  Still, thank you guys.  That helped out majorly.  One step closer to being better at computers.  Thanks a lot guys.  :P  

Edit:
No lock up.  All good.  :P   :Mia:  It's looking beautiful as ever.