Golden Sun Hacking Community
April 19, 2018, 07:07:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: do you care about privacy?  (Read 9057 times)
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

Coins: 0

« on: January 15, 2014, 06:36:35 AM »

Tea's been brining it up all over the place, so rather than going off topic, here's a thread.

I tend to listen to tech pundits, so I've been hearing a lot about the NSA's civilian data collection program, how 'you are the product' on Facebook and Instagram, etc etc.

I think there's two kinds of privacy to consider: Privacy from individuals, and privacy from institutions,  I think we can't separate the two, but we do have different expectations from the two. I don't care what the government knows an out me, but I do care what my parents know.
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:44:27 AM »

Yes and no. - After death, ... it all means practically nothing to you anyway. So there's sure to be some 'no' in there no matter what.

--
Also, I'm sure medical/health records could be a sensitive topic as well.

In part, I also think of having the right to privacy as a form of trust/respect.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:51:56 AM by Teawater » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile

I am: reading.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 02:26:03 AM »

I don't care what the government knows an out me, but I do care what my parents know.

So you would prefer to trust a lot of people you personally don't know instead of your own parents?
View Profile
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:06:14 AM »

I don't care what the government knows an out me, but I do care what my parents know.

So you would prefer to trust a lot of people you personally don't know instead of your own parents?
"trust" is an unrelated issue.  What I'm talking about is judgment.  I don't know the government, and the government doesn't know me.  I expect a 'live and let live' principle to be in place.
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:33:24 AM »

"trust" is an unrelated issue.  What I'm talking about is judgment.  I don't know the government, and the government doesn't know me.  I expect a 'live and let live' principle to be in place.
Hm... You can never be too sure if they'll look you up when you are Friends with a target. (My guess is computers pick out the important stuff automatically, probably with the help of keywords.... Think of Facebook as one huge encyclopedia like Wikipedia... Like Google, but with ability to access all private stuff.)

Have you ever heard of LOVEINT? That's a problem when someone you know actually works for the Government.

From what I can tell about Facebook, is that there seems to be some variables or something that calculates how many interactions you made with each individual (In addition to vice-versa), so I'm sure with that type of data, it could help find who your closes friends could be. Although, I think it may be used mostly to show you stories from people you interact with more often... and etc.

One of my basic concerns for the Government is a hunger for power... The "What are they going to do next?" comes to my mind. While what they do now could seem trivial to some, how do you know when they go over the line? Also, how many people do you think are spies in our Gov't? I know there's a lot of them. And I wonder if this number is growing.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:05:16 AM by Teawater » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

View Profile

New User

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 08:35:12 AM »

As long as the privacy goes, it all depends on your judgement and trust. Which person needs to know what about you and that you fully trust that person.

View Profile
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 09:18:29 AM »

As long as the privacy goes, it all depends on your judgement and trust. Which person needs to know what about you and that you fully trust that person.

So that means you want privacy to be your decision.  I.e. you get to decide who knows what about you.  But for that to happen, you need to own your own private data, but when you engage in "free" stuff (like facebook), then your information basically belongs to facebook.

... I got no point.  I'm just adding words to the topic so there's something to respond to.  Apologies.  I'll be back later when I can devote some mental power here.
View Profile

New User

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 03:27:07 PM »

well that is what i meant but things necessarily cannot be the way we want it and no need for apologies this is a forum we are discussing sharing our views you said what you thought was right

View Profile
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 07:03:12 AM »

Would you guys be willing to pay a subscription for email, Facebook, or Skype if it meant you would control your own data?  How much would you be willing to pay?
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 04:18:03 PM »

I'm guessing $0? For one, how could you verify that it was still private, and that they aren't just trying to hoard money? They themselves could think their privacy functions work well, when the Gov't (or others) could be sneaking behind back-doors and stuff.

You could probably get the same promise with a free service. (Chances are, it might be in a country that isn't partnered with the U.S. due to most known invasions coming from the U.S., I believe, that also has a smaller member-base/not well known compared to top tech companies. ; Even then, it would be a risk you'd take, even for putting data on your computer, period... assuming you could be given malware.

For example, there was a piece of Russian malware known as Kaptoxa, that was used to steal identities from POS points in Target, and many other companies... it was designed well enough to hide from anti-viruses, I believe. I heard about this on the news a few times.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:46:39 PM by Teawater » Logged

View Profile
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 02:03:46 AM »

So you care about privacy, but think it's a fight not worth fighting, since there's little hope of winning?

While I can't prove that paying for a service will guarantee your privacy, it at least increases the probability of it.  Why?  Because now companies have more of a choice.  They don't *have* to sell your information, since they have another source of revenue.  And if their sales pitch is "we offer privacy," then they're incentivized by the market to deliver on that pitch.
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 03:38:57 AM »

As I stated in my first post in this topic:  My answer for caring about privacy is yes and no. (It used to be more of a 'yes' at one point...if I remember correctly... but now, I just place it in a gray area. And even then, I still like hearing about Americans getting more privacy.)  ;   And yeah, my guess is that there would be little hope in winning.

Does this topic also expand off of the internet? (Privacy in your room or bathroom, for example.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 03:42:54 AM by Teawater » Logged

View Profile
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 04:23:16 AM »

Yes and no.
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 05:59:50 AM »

Under what conditions do you say yes to?
Under what conditions do you say no to?
Or are you replying to room and bathroom respectively?

View Profile

I am: reading.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 07:55:51 AM »

Would you guys be willing to pay a subscription for email, Facebook, or Skype if it meant you would control your own data?  How much would you be willing to pay?

No; $0.00

So you care about privacy, but think it's a fight not worth fighting, since there's little hope of winning?

While I can't prove that paying for a service will guarantee your privacy, it at least increases the probability of it.  Why?  Because now companies have more of a choice.  They don't *have* to sell your information, since they have another source of revenue.  And if their sales pitch is "we offer privacy," then they're incentivized by the market to deliver on that pitch.

Online privacy is more of a guideline than an actual rule.  Most websites providing this type of service will reveal information if a user is involved in illegal activities.  Sure that's a good thing, but it also shows 100% privacy isn't available even with those services.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:05:14 AM by Wolf » Logged
View Profile
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
April 16, 2018, 07:44:36 AM
Drake baku: So it took about halve a hour of letting my lap stay off for it to suddenly work again
April 16, 2018, 07:31:28 AM
Drake baku: All of a sudden fox his editor gets errors. When trying to start it, thing worked fine yesterday...
April 14, 2018, 01:04:37 PM
Fox: @Mario Golf/text editing = Nope... And it may be awhile yet. I think I looked into it before... (at least for GS1)... but usually is the case when I come across a particular problem, that it can delay a solution for an extremely long time.
April 12, 2018, 04:27:14 PM
KyleRunner: Gee... never used discord...
April 12, 2018, 06:03:23 AM
Drake baku: I take it back, found it
April 12, 2018, 06:02:01 AM
Drake baku: But there is no discord link to be found
April 12, 2018, 06:01:44 AM
Drake baku: Everyone is on discord
April 11, 2018, 09:44:06 PM
KyleRunner: Fox, what about that tool for editing text in Mario Golf? Didi you finish it? If not, can you make a version of gstoolkit compatible with it?
April 11, 2018, 07:41:25 AM
Drake baku: Mauw
March 30, 2018, 07:26:11 PM
Salanewt: Hi!
March 29, 2018, 07:37:45 PM
ThanatosTheDark: YYEEEOOOOOO
March 12, 2018, 02:21:06 AM
Fox: say*
March 12, 2018, 02:20:53 AM
Fox: I saw we need an event this April Fools/Easter... because two holidays are in one, why would we not want to miss having something special? (Unfortunately, there's no one here to make an event be successful.)
March 12, 2018, 02:18:17 AM
Fox: And since that's the case...  I have thought of another fun experiment idea. - What if we had an auction on who should run this site, and waited for 10 people to bid and also for a bare minimum of 24 hours. Who would bid the highest, and how much would that bid be? - The idea is more for lulz (Maybe for April Fools?), and a theory to get an idea of how much the site might be worth as well.
March 11, 2018, 03:02:31 AM
Fox: Creepy, isn't it?
March 10, 2018, 02:19:04 AM
Fox: It's frog legs now.. It's something that's dead, but somehow still manages to wiggle.
March 09, 2018, 04:12:17 AM
JamietheFlameUser: I think this place is still dead.
March 02, 2018, 09:43:18 AM
Pkmn-Master: Lol I haven't been here in like 6 years. How is everyone?
February 26, 2018, 06:15:34 AM
Salanewt: Heads up: I finally finished the Wisp animation hack, and it has been posted in the downloads section.
February 19, 2018, 09:50:20 PM
KyleRunner: "difficult thing about the army": I'm very good at taking orders, so I don't have issues with autority or discipline. The most difficult thing is to be away from my family sometimes. I lived an entire year away from my son, so I'd say that was the most hard part by far. Now it's great!

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise