News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

do you care about privacy?

Started by Thunder-squall, 15, January, 2014, 01:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder-squall

Tea's been brining it up all over the place, so rather than going off topic, here's a thread.

I tend to listen to tech pundits, so I've been hearing a lot about the NSA's civilian data collection program, how 'you are the product' on Facebook and Instagram, etc etc.

I think there's two kinds of privacy to consider: Privacy from individuals, and privacy from institutions,  I think we can't separate the two, but we do have different expectations from the two. I don't care what the government knows an out me, but I do care what my parents know.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Yes and no. - After death, ... it all means practically nothing to you anyway. So there's sure to be some 'no' in there no matter what.

--
Also, I'm sure medical/health records could be a sensitive topic as well.

In part, I also think of having the right to privacy as a form of trust/respect.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Wolf

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 15, January, 2014, 01:36:35 AM
I don't care what the government knows an out me, but I do care what my parents know.

So you would prefer to trust a lot of people you personally don't know instead of your own parents?

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Wolf on 15, January, 2014, 09:26:03 PM
I don't care what the government knows an out me, but I do care what my parents know.

So you would prefer to trust a lot of people you personally don't know instead of your own parents?
"trust" is an unrelated issue.  What I'm talking about is judgment.  I don't know the government, and the government doesn't know me.  I expect a 'live and let live' principle to be in place.

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 16, January, 2014, 03:06:14 AM
Quote from: Wolf on 15, January, 2014, 09:26:03 PM

"trust" is an unrelated issue.  What I'm talking about is judgment.  I don't know the government, and the government doesn't know me.  I expect a 'live and let live' principle to be in place.
Hm... You can never be too sure if they'll look you up when you are Friends with a target. (My guess is computers pick out the important stuff automatically, probably with the help of keywords.... Think of Facebook as one huge encyclopedia like Wikipedia... Like Google, but with ability to access all private stuff.)

Have you ever heard of LOVEINT? That's a problem when someone you know actually works for the Government.

From what I can tell about Facebook, is that there seems to be some variables or something that calculates how many interactions you made with each individual (In addition to vice-versa), so I'm sure with that type of data, it could help find who your closes friends could be. Although, I think it may be used mostly to show you stories from people you interact with more often... and etc.

One of my basic concerns for the Government is a hunger for power... The "What are they going to do next?" comes to my mind. While what they do now could seem trivial to some, how do you know when they go over the line? Also, how many people do you think are spies in our Gov't? I know there's a lot of them. And I wonder if this number is growing.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Parloo

As long as the privacy goes, it all depends on your judgement and trust. Which person needs to know what about you and that you fully trust that person.

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Parloo on 20, January, 2014, 03:35:12 AM
As long as the privacy goes, it all depends on your judgement and trust. Which person needs to know what about you and that you fully trust that person.

So that means you want privacy to be your decision.  I.e. you get to decide who knows what about you.  But for that to happen, you need to own your own private data, but when you engage in "free" stuff (like facebook), then your information basically belongs to facebook.

... I got no point.  I'm just adding words to the topic so there's something to respond to.  Apologies.  I'll be back later when I can devote some mental power here.

Parloo

well that is what i meant but things necessarily cannot be the way we want it and no need for apologies this is a forum we are discussing sharing our views you said what you thought was right

Thunder-squall

Would you guys be willing to pay a subscription for email, Facebook, or Skype if it meant you would control your own data?  How much would you be willing to pay?

I'm guessing $0? For one, how could you verify that it was still private, and that they aren't just trying to hoard money? They themselves could think their privacy functions work well, when the Gov't (or others) could be sneaking behind back-doors and stuff.

You could probably get the same promise with a free service. (Chances are, it might be in a country that isn't partnered with the U.S. due to most known invasions coming from the U.S., I believe, that also has a smaller member-base/not well known compared to top tech companies. ; Even then, it would be a risk you'd take, even for putting data on your computer, period... assuming you could be given malware.

For example, there was a piece of Russian malware known as Kaptoxa, that was used to steal identities from POS points in Target, and many other companies... it was designed well enough to hide from anti-viruses, I believe. I heard about this on the news a few times.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

So you care about privacy, but think it's a fight not worth fighting, since there's little hope of winning?

While I can't prove that paying for a service will guarantee your privacy, it at least increases the probability of it.  Why?  Because now companies have more of a choice.  They don't *have* to sell your information, since they have another source of revenue.  And if their sales pitch is "we offer privacy," then they're incentivized by the market to deliver on that pitch.

As I stated in my first post in this topic:  My answer for caring about privacy is yes and no. (It used to be more of a 'yes' at one point...if I remember correctly... but now, I just place it in a gray area. And even then, I still like hearing about Americans getting more privacy.)  ;   And yeah, my guess is that there would be little hope in winning.

Does this topic also expand off of the internet? (Privacy in your room or bathroom, for example.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

Under what conditions do you say yes to?
Under what conditions do you say no to?
Or are you replying to room and bathroom respectively?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Wolf

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 22, January, 2014, 02:03:12 AM
Would you guys be willing to pay a subscription for email, Facebook, or Skype if it meant you would control your own data?  How much would you be willing to pay?

No; $0.00

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 06, February, 2014, 09:03:46 PM
So you care about privacy, but think it's a fight not worth fighting, since there's little hope of winning?

While I can't prove that paying for a service will guarantee your privacy, it at least increases the probability of it.  Why?  Because now companies have more of a choice.  They don't *have* to sell your information, since they have another source of revenue.  And if their sales pitch is "we offer privacy," then they're incentivized by the market to deliver on that pitch.

Online privacy is more of a guideline than an actual rule.  Most websites providing this type of service will reveal information if a user is involved in illegal activities.  Sure that's a good thing, but it also shows 100% privacy isn't available even with those services.

The only way to have 100% privacy is.... there is no way! Because God's watching!

The only way to know you have 100% privacy from people is to not speak your mind or act even when you are alone. Oh, but wait. How do you know if anyone developed technology to read minds? You just assume no one has because everyone needed information from sources like websites to figure out crimes, etc.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

But why are we talking about 100% privacy?

Because this topic is about privacy, and it's not off-topic.

Ah. Wait. I know you don't really care about privacy... but... let's look at this from another perspective.

If you were the owner of a business, would you care for the privacy of your user-base? (That's where trust can come into play, and you could risk losing business.)

Also, I did once consider the possibilities of gov't agencies being hacked...
http://threatpost.com/government-agencies-failing-at-basic-security-hygiene/104077

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

I still think talking about 100% privacy is stupid.  Being 100% private means never talking to anyone, ever.  It means living in a bubble that no one else can see into.  No one can know you exist.  And if you say that you're not going to care about privacy since you can never have 100% privacy, then does that mean you're not going to take efforts to raise your privacy higher than 0%?  Do you walk down the street naked?  No?  Of course not.

Talking about 100% privacy is stupid.

I think I had in mind of keeping certain information 100% private... (It's been a couple days, so I can't say for sure... but I don't trust myself to be extremely specific.)  But yeah, other than that... I guess you are right.

Walking down the street naked is disrespectful... so even if there wasn't a privacy issue there, I don't think decent people with a heart would do that in front of people anyway... (That, and to obey the laws of indecent exposure.)

---
Why not have a discussion on why we should have privacy... There's not a whole lot of things I can think of that would require it besides where you are, and identity stuff... (Since keeping those things private can help keep you from getting murdered or robbed... at least to a small degree.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden