News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Gay Marriage: Thoughts?

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 12, February, 2014, 07:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

This might be controversial... but I'm thinking there are many answers that would make this no.
1.) Religion: Some Christians think Gay Marriage means you won't inherit the kingdom of God, and others may think otherwise.
2.) For the children? This may be controversial, but you need a man and a woman to have a baby.
3.) If men happen to be more accepted than women, women get better treatment since men pay the bills.

If it happens to be a "good thing", what makes it good in a way that is different from a traditional marriage (man and woman)?

My belief is that this could be a bad thing... but for my opinion, I think being Single is the best way to go...
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Teawater on 12, February, 2014, 07:46:53 PM

My belief is that this could be a bad thing.

Just so we're clear, do you also believe it could be a good thing?

... but for my opinion, I think being Single is the best way to go...

I know this is a common joke, but could you clarify whether this is a joke, or really your opinion?

And does it mean that the best way to go is not to procreate (have or raise kids), or simply not get married when you do have kids?

-I know it could be a bad thing.
-I would think that it might not be a good thing, but I'm sure some people will find a reason to suspect it is good. So..

-It's not supposed to be a joke. It's supposed to be an opinion for which I'd choose personally. Not about what everyone should choose. Part of this choice is not having kids, as well. (Which I realize I was vague... but maybe I was vague on purpose.... ) I also think that if there was a time where marriage would take place... it might be a good idea to know the fiance for at least 6 months prior to marrying. Which brings up another topic: What do you look for when deciding to marry someone?

I posted this topic to see what everyone thinks, not to make people wonder what I think...
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

For those who are gay, and want the privileges and implications associated with marriage, it's definitely a good thing. And I don't see how it would cause problems for anyone else.

QuoteAnd I don't see how it would cause problems for anyone else.
I'm guessing you only think it is a good thing, and there's nothing bad about it...

But, but, what if it makes it slightly harder for children to be reproduced? I'm sure it wouldn't have any direct affect on us... (except for maybe the economy, in part... not that we could ever know if that would make the economy better or worse.) But...

One concept idea: (Atleast for bisexuals.) If a girl knows a guy was married to a guy, and later one guy decides he wants a baby and goes to a girl... Girl sees that guy is weird, and doesn't do the having children thing with him. ... Not only that, but you could be at a slightly higher risk of getting STDs if that was what you were doing. (Going to a random girl.) ; But I bet concepts like that happen a lot already.

But yeah.  Other people's problems don't concern us, so why would we care if children were reproduced or not.

I should probably note that this topic wasn't specifically about law alone.  If I governed the land, I might not even include marriage laws, but I'm not sure-sure about that. (AKA: I'd leave it up for someone else to decide... as long as being Single (No forced choosing) and Trad. Marriages (For reproduction) were okay.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

I'm pro gay marriage. 'Nuff said.

An aside: If you think people are 'in it' just for themselves (basically anti social), what business do you have talking about social contracts anyway, which are about our collective good, beyond our own selfish good?  And especially if you're a Christian, I don't understand how you can be so selfish.  I thought the whole point of Christianity was to become an instrument of God's will, which is to make the world a better place?  How can you do that if you only care about yourself, and not the larger world?

But even from the perspective of evolutionary fitness, humans have evolved to be greater together than they are apart.  Our social contracts have a direct impact on our  evolutionary fitness.  And marriage is about making a family when there  wasn't previously one.  It's really about household resilience. And everyone has the right to create family, support a family, and be supported by a family.  Denying gay marriage just creates a class of social orphans and outcasts, and I simply don't understand the tendency of religions to want to create oppressed group like that.

Whatever.  I'm against religions' weird hateful fetishes.  And it's precisely because people think it's their right to have a hateful opinion "just because," that I stand against them "just because."  Sometimes you just have to stand up to the bad guys. Especially if they're boring, uninteresting bad guys who don't think for themselves.

Quote from: Teawater on 13, February, 2014, 01:23:31 PM

But, but, what if it makes it slightly harder for children to be reproduced?

It doesn't.

And there are plenty of orphaned kid's in need of parents, for those who want to raise kids.  So your second argument doesn't hold either.

Is that supposed to be an insult? Either way, I never actually confirmed Gay Marriage as good nor bad. (Do I have to bold could and might? With an implication of uncertainty.)

Er. Somehow, I feel I am being interpreted wrong. Too often. ;  (I hope you didn't take my "not having marriage laws" as in denying anything. The point is that if there were no laws, you could do whatever you wanted with marriage... Even marry a cow!)

Life would be boring if people were 'in it' for themselves... I choose to stay Single because I view marriage as a risk.  This doesn't mean you can't have friends, though. (I think everyone should have at least 3 close friends.)

--
Those arguments are supposed to be random premature theories that you are suppose to build on, not take them as-is. Like most things I talk about. (If it helps, I often find myself editing my own posts a lot.) I suppose my main concern is that I'm trying to figure out what that thing about "Some Christians think Gay Marriage means you won't inherit the kingdom of God" is really coming from. ; But from what I can tell, it doesn't seem like that concept expands much outside of one view of Christianity. (But I'm not sure, due to my lack of knowledge on other religions.)

Defining the banning of gay marriage: I'm not so sure if I'd call it hate or not... What if it is to protect ourselves from something?  That something of which we'll probably never know...  (I could probably generate several ideas on why a quote might would exist, but I'm not saying they would change anything: One idea is that if people got used to Gay Marriage... they will be more likely to go in that direction... (In thought of psychology / addictions / etc.) ... Perhaps children get the "best of both worlds" when they can live with a male and a female?) ;  Maybe it only applied to a certain time frame of life? (For example, when women weren't allowed to work.), but you can look at it however you want...  I'm not in anyway forcing/telling anyone to do what they don't want.) ; And I'm not sure what to say about orphaned kids, aside from just agreeing with it.

Edit: By the way, no one is perfect: I'm sure there are plenty of selfish Christians out there with very strange views.... and do they all see life in the same way? I strongly doubt it... (If some Muslims were to bomb trade centers, would you automatically hate all Muslims? Don't think so. It's better to look at people individually rather than by any affiliation.) ;  . And I also have to say that it is possible all people may be selfish to a degree. To me, I call it human nature. This does not mean it is okay to be selfish, though... ; So please, don't go thinking all Christians follow the word of the book perfectly, because I doubt any of them do. I could go on forever talking about my views on that, but I don't feel like it... So I'll just leave this vague, as-is.

TL;DR: I wish to seek out the pros and cons of this rather than actually criticize the issue.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

Quote from: Teawater on 13, February, 2014, 07:45:06 PMTL;DR: I wish to seek out the pros and cons of this rather than actually criticize the issue.
Pros: improves the lives of those affected.
Cons: some people may be bothered by it.

That's all I can think of, though admittedly, I'm not thinking overly hard about it. As I see it, it's a human rights issue, and I think humans should have as many rights as possible as long as it doesn't cause any problems for society as a whole.

As for reproduction of children, the world is already in immense danger of overpopulation by humans, to the point that millions are already suffering from a shortage of resources. Humanity could stand cooling off with the reproduction for a bit.

Not sure what religion has to do with this discussion.

QuoteI think humans should have as many rights as possible as long as it doesn't cause any problems for society as a whole.
I believe in that as well.

In one way, I view it like alchemy. No rights, we're poured into slavery. Too many rights, and it can sometimes be abused. Therefore, law creates order.... well, it's supposed to, anyway. But unfortunately, laws we make end up never being perfect. ;

Edit:
QuoteAs for reproduction of children, the world is already in immense danger of overpopulation by humans, to the point that millions are already suffering from a shortage of resources. Humanity could stand cooling off with the reproduction for a bit.
That may be true. (If only we had the technology and resources that are required to remove such suffering.)

I feel like this was the worst topic idea I've come up with yet. (Especially since everyone seems 100% sure about their decisions and are not that interested in the topic.) So I apologize for the inconvenience.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Wolf

This might be controversial... but I'm thinking there are many answers that would make this no.
1.) Religion: Some Christians think Gay Marriage means you won't inherit the kingdom of God, and others may think otherwise.
2.) For the children? This may be controversial, but you need a man and a woman to have a baby.
3.) If men happen to be more accepted than women, women get better treatment since men pay the bills.

1. Any person who lives a life of sin without regret would fit this from a Christian point of view.

2. Another reason is because children are very impressionable.  A child who is adopted by a gay couple will most likely accept or even pursue that lifestyle.

3. Women can get away with it more.  A girl acting more like a boy is more accepted than a boy acting more like a girl.  I'm talking about knitting, catching bugs, fighting, playing with dolls; basic stereotypes.  Gay women are typically harder to spot than men and often blend in better in public.

@Wolfie: Thank you for your response!

#1) True.
#2) I thought as much. I think it may fit at any age, though... children may be even more influenced, however.   I could say that how the child sees their parents act to one another could even connect into how the child may treat their partner when they get one. (Not that they will, but the likelihood would be increased.)
#3) My #3 line was more about men being  paid more than women, actually... (Might not be true now days, though?) ;  But yeah, I'll have to agree with that. Some Social Hacking article(s) I once read seem to suggest that. ... Also, women's last names usually change to their husband's, and if I remember... It's actually possible to take on the husband's full name. (Ex: Mrs. Barrack Obama might be U.S.'s First Lady.) I'm not sure how names work with same sex couples, however. (That's one of the "could be bad" things.... You have to decide who's last name to share... and man, if you decide wrong... things could be real.... .... okay, I can stop exaggerating.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Atrius (He/Him)

I have a hard time understanding why people think it's a bad thing.

Being gay is immoral?  Why is it immoral to fall in love with someone just because they're the same gender as you?  Because they can't have kids?  There are straight couples that choose not to have children, are they in immoral relationships?  For that matter why would it be immoral to not have children in the first place?

You're not contributing to the creation of the next generation.  You're not contributing to the survival of the species.

Is that really true, is having children really the ONLY way to do that?  Considering population growth, aren't there a finite amount of resources available on the Earth, is it not possible to OVER populate?  Is it really that damaging for some people not to be having children, could it not slow down overpopulation?

So really, why is it a bad thing, what REALLY makes it immoral.  Because a lot of people agree that it's a bad thing?  In Iraq today women are COURT ORDERED to take virginity tests if their husband believes they were not a virgin when they get married.  Is this right, or moral just because a lot of people there agree it to be so?

Let's look at #2, and children learning that being gay is an acceptable lifestyle.  Is that a bad thing?  Why?  Because it's immoral, why is it immoral, what makes it bad?  Because our society agrees it is?  Is society correct?

I hate...  HATE it when the argument falls to "it's wrong because it just is."  According to who, or what?  Why?  Could you just be agreeing with agreeing with society without considering whether or not society should change it's view?  What if everyone did that when slavery was a law, or women weren't allowed to vote?  Society evolves over time when they realize their rules don't make as much sense as they thought they did, saying that "it is because it is" is how you end up with a society that doesn't learn it's mistakes.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

I honestly do not believe man loving man is bad, nor woman loving woman. But when marriage takes place.... then I'm stuck in the gray area.... An area where I would probably choose not to pick an opinion.

I'm not sure it has to do with populating the earth... It was only a mere guess... I'd rather pursue the psychology aspect than that aspect, anyway.

By psychology, I mean things like this:
Is man x man too much male?
Is woman x woman too much woman?
Is man x woman considered balance? Since they happen to be unique... (including the brain)

And yeah, figuring out what makes it wrong and good (Outside of simple love) are two things I'd like to know.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Atrius (He/Him)

What about children of single parents, don't they face the same issues?  These are things society needs to look at and think about.  There are many people out there that grew up without a mother, or a father figure already, it's not unprecedented.  Can we say it's bad for two men to raise a child without a woman, but it's okay for one man to raise a child without a woman?  What if that single man had a room mate that was also a man, but they weren't gay, would that change whether it was right or wrong?

Are we worried that same-sex couples will teach their children that same-sex marriage is the only way?  It will probably happen, but do we really believe that will be common?  Do we really believe these children won't learn otherwise from the rest of society, or will ALL same-sex couples shelter their children from society?
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Wolf

Quote from: Atrius on 14, February, 2014, 10:19:38 PM

You're not contributing to the creation of the next generation.  You're not contributing to the survival of the species.

So really, why is it a bad thing, what REALLY makes it immoral.  Because a lot of people agree that it's a bad thing?  In Iraq today women are COURT ORDERED to take virginity tests if their husband believes they were not a virgin when they get married.  Is this right, or moral just because a lot of people there agree it to be so?

Let's look at #2, and children learning that being gay is an acceptable lifestyle.  Is that a bad thing?  Why?  Because it's immoral, why is it immoral, what makes it bad?  Because our society agrees it is?  Is society correct?

:NeutralStar: That depends on who, what, when, where, and why.  Example: A large country that has plenty of people would probably care less about opposing gay marriage than a small isolated tribe.

:NeutralStar: That type of majority rule mentality has played a big role in history for better or worse.  Making people think you have the majority on your side can be just as effective.  Sometimes the majority is just the loudest voice above the crowd when the true majority doesn't shout loud enough.  A little off subject, but something to consider.

:NeutralStar: To some it is, to others it isn't, and then there are those who would prefer not to pick either side.  The way people adjust to it may be a bigger concern.  Here's a story that is somewhat relevant.  http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/calif-governor-says-boys-can-use-girls-bathrooms.html

Okay then, maybe it's just a religion thing that was placed in order to *try* to make life easier? ; Maybe they thought men were to take care of women, so women didn't have to work? In a woman x woman relationship, one has to get their money somewhere... ; Speaking of, why won't the Gov't add women to Drafts?

If I remember correctly, Catholic priests don't get married. (Why are Catholic Priests unable to marry, anyway?)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Wolf on 14, February, 2014, 11:28:35 PM
:NeutralStar: That depends on who, what, when where, and why.  Example: A large country that has plenty of people would probably care less about opposing gay marriage than a small isolated tribe.

:NeutralStar: That type of majority rule mentality has played a big role in history for better or worse.  Making people think you have the majority on your side can be just as effective.  Sometimes the majority is just the loudest voice above the crowd when the true majority doesn't shout loud enough.  A little off subject, but something to consider.

:NeutralStar: To some it is, to others it isn't, and then there are those who would prefer not to pick either side.  The way people adjust to it may be a bigger concern.  Here's a story that is somewhat relevant.  http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/calif-governor-says-boys-can-use-girls-bathrooms.html

Exactly.  It might make sense in some situations.  If you lived in one of those isolated tribes, and the population was on the decline it might be a really bad thing to have couples that aren't producing children.  This is why I gave you questions instead of answers.  I think it's obvious from the direction I went that I do support gay marriage, but there are situations where those questions have different answers.  I might not even have the correct answers, there's a bigger picture that needs to be looked at.

That link you posted is an EXCELLENT example.  People hear that boys can use girls bathrooms and immediately freak out wondering what the hell their politicians are thinking, but what about situations like in the video below?

I don't see the grandfather as being close minded for bringing up that point either, it is a valid question worth asking.  Can this child be sure enough at such a young age to choose not to go through puberty as a boy?  Should they be allowed to?

Wolf

Quote from: Atrius on 15, February, 2014, 12:01:56 AM
That link you posted is an EXCELLENT example.  People hear that boys can use girls bathrooms and immediately freak out wondering what the hell their politicians are thinking, but what about situations like in the video below?

I don't see the grandfather as being close minded for bringing up that point either, it is a valid question worth asking.  Can this child be sure enough at such a young age to choose not to go through puberty as a boy?  Should they be allowed to?

:NeutralStar: Surely you know how bad some students can get at school.  To note a few possible consequences; There will probably be boys claiming to be transgender just so they can go cause trouble in the girls bathroom.  If this leads to a girl being harassed or assaulted the school would have to answer for it.  You also have to consider the fact that any staff members identifying as such could use the restroom of the opposite sex.  Legal issues, privacy issues, money money money... :P

:NeutralStar:  In rare cases people can be born with more than one X or Y chromosome.  The type of case that results in people being born with male and female parts can be very tricky since the parents can either choose what they want removed or let the child grow and get a better sense of self before having an operation done.  Doing it to early could actually result in the dominate parts being remove and waiting for the baby to reach school age or older could result in emotional trauma.  My Biology teacher brought that up in a conversation about genetics.

When you don't know if you are more a boy or more a girl.... Would it be wiser to assume boy? - Do women value bathroom privacy more than men?

EDIT:

Quote from: Atrius on 14, February, 2014, 11:22:43 PM
What about children of single parents, don't they face the same issues?  These are things society needs to look at and think about.  There are many people out there that grew up without a mother, or a father figure already, it's not unprecedented.  Can we say it's bad for two men to raise a child without a woman, but it's okay for one man to raise a child without a woman?  What if that single man had a room mate that was also a man, but they weren't gay, would that change whether it was right or wrong?

Are we worried that same-sex couples will teach their children that same-sex marriage is the only way?  It will probably happen, but do we really believe that will be common?  Do we really believe these children won't learn otherwise from the rest of society, or will ALL same-sex couples shelter their children from society?
Let's look at yet another part of the picture. Although, it's not exactly about gay marriage, but... it may help with what Christianity might be thinking...

Homosexuality = sexual desire or behavior directed toward a person or persons of one's own sex.
Adultery = voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and someone other than his or her lawful spouse.
lust = intense sexual desire or appetite.

According to Christianity, these may be 'bad'. (But that doesn't mean sex is bad, I think Christianity thinks it's supposed to only be with your spouse... It does have those side-advantages of avoiding things like STDs and not 'cheating' on people.) And if I remember correctly, there was one point I believe I found out Christianity was also against divorce...? Strangely enough. It's probably to stay in line with the vowels, though.

So, I wonder if gay marriage and homosexuality are usually confused with each other...  or if they are in fact implied the same.  I still don't think I have all the pieces to the puzzle yet...

--
Also, this might be related to a bait and switch thingy, but until we know the detailed results of taking the bait, we might not know... It's probably thought to be some form of death. (Not physical death, necessarily... .. an example of a 'death' could be losing someone's friendship.) (The idea of the bait thing is coming from  Kerry Shook's sermon on Adultery.)

Example:  I give you 12 donuts, and you want them. If you eat them, you might die of a heart attack. ; Even though those donuts could be somewhat deadly, I don't think I'd ban them (So we can have freewill.), and instead, would likely imply that no one eats them. (If we knew of the possible dangers.)

So all those illegal drugs... I'd probably not ban them unless certain conditions applied. (Like having enough people wanting it banned, with evidence of how bad such a drug is...) There's one theory that all things in life may have a good purpose for something (Even if it's not for us), soo...

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

This is the last topic on my "to respond to" list, but frankly, it seems you guys purposely tried to switch the topic from gay marriage and homosexuality to gender-issues, is that right?