News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun: The Balance Age

Started by Caledor, 24, January, 2015, 12:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 06, April, 2015, 02:52:13 PM
I was playing on 1.18, not 1.20 ._. I apologize about the ring comments.
No prob, there was no way you could've known if you were playing with an older version after all. Have fun with TLA ;)

Rolina

Quote from: VardenSalad on 05, April, 2015, 02:14:59 PM
The tweaked class system. It was worth the playtime just to see all the new and renamed classes. I'm pretty sure that was a lot of Rolina's work and since I can't really tell when one person's modifications stopped and another person's started, I'm going to give praise to both. I haven't taken the time to check each instance where the new system differentiated from vanilla, but I enjoyed the changes.

Tweaked items in general were great to behold. Giving the weapon classes unique stat alterations (Axes = Big ATK, but actually LOWER DEF means that Garet is able to shoulder the burden easier than Isaac) was such a nice change. This is one of the changes I am going to enjoy seeing in The Lost Age because of the blacksmith system, so there'll be a ton of new items and weapons to seek out.

I cannot claim credit for any of that.  I may have laid the basis for the idea, but the work was all Caledor's - my philosophies of game design are a bit different.  For instance, I would never have given any class both the Plasma and Prism lines, as they are roughly similar in power.  My class building ideas are simply too different.

Caledor

Quote from: Rolina on 06, April, 2015, 06:27:33 PM
Quote from: VardenSalad on 05, April, 2015, 02:14:59 PM
The tweaked class system. It was worth the playtime just to see all the new and renamed classes. I'm pretty sure that was a lot of Rolina's work and since I can't really tell when one person's modifications stopped and another person's started, I'm going to give praise to both. I haven't taken the time to check each instance where the new system differentiated from vanilla, but I enjoyed the changes.

Tweaked items in general were great to behold. Giving the weapon classes unique stat alterations (Axes = Big ATK, but actually LOWER DEF means that Garet is able to shoulder the burden easier than Isaac) was such a nice change. This is one of the changes I am going to enjoy seeing in The Lost Age because of the blacksmith system, so there'll be a ton of new items and weapons to seek out.

I cannot claim credit for any of that.  I may have laid the basis for the idea, but the work was all Caledor's - my philosophies of game design are a bit different.  For instance, I would never have given any class both the Plasma and Prism lines, as they are roughly similar in power.  My class building ideas are simply too different.
Well, this is intresting. Ever thought about making a topic about this?

VardenSalad

I wanna hear about this too. I'd really onky been thinking about the classes in terms of AoE v Single-target, access to buffing or healing Psynergy, and which elemental damage they could do. I never thought about the power level of spells that often (mostly because they aren't visible in the game and I never felt like accessing the wiki every time I booted the game.)
Never forget why you started playing.

leaf

I don't see what's wrong with having both the plasma and the prism lines - if the class's purpose is pure casting, it makes sense that they would have access to the strongest lines of two elements. If casting was meant to be a secondary function of the class, then only having one uber spell would make sense.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 06, April, 2015, 10:32:48 PM
I wanna hear about this too. I'd really onky been thinking about the classes in terms of AoE v Single-target, access to buffing or healing Psynergy, and which elemental damage they could do. I never thought about the power level of spells that often (mostly because they aren't visible in the game and I never felt like accessing the wiki every time I booted the game.)
Well, I did take into account the power of spells when making classes. For example no warrior type class has access to the strongest offensive psynergies. IIRC i capped the power spells at 150 for warriors, with the only exception of the ninja, which is among the best at attacking both physically and magically but has crap tier defense (and the lowest HP among all warriors) and has zero support, healing and debuffs. Basically, the very definition of a glass cannon.

Maybe what Rolina meant is that she'd have never given 2 top tier spells to the same class, maybe cause she wanted classes to have a main element and a secondary element... But that's just speculation on my part. Anyway, since this is a very different approach from mine, I'd like to know more.

Aile~♥

The way I understand it, Rolina usually gives offensive caster classes one "weak" line, one "mid" line, and one "strong" line. "Weak" lines are stuff like Frost, Quake, and Flare. "Mid" lines are things like Ray. "Strong" lines are of course things like Prism, Plasma, and Gaia. Support casters usually get a "mid-weak" line and a "mid-strong" line, or simply a "weak" and a "mid-strong". I think Growth would be an example of a "mid-weak" line? Not sure. "Mid-strong" would be something like Cool, I think.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

VardenSalad

Ok, Cal. I'm in the middle of the Yampi Desert right now. Is there anything in particular you'd like a reaction to or should I just start sounding off?

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 07, April, 2015, 10:50:25 PM
Ok, Cal. I'm in the middle of the Yampi Desert right now. Is there anything in particular you'd like a reaction to or should I just start sounding off?
Yes, three things: King Scorpion, Briggs and Sheba's tendencies to go down. From my tests King Scorpion should be "okay" now, Briggs is still strong if fought as soon as you exit the desert (but not as much as in original hard mode) and Sheba likes to faint a lot. Apart from those things, anything like you'd want to report?

Rolina

This is incomplete, but it'll give you a general idea of where I'm going with it.  I still have to do a few more tabs to do before v α0.4 is ready for a proper release.

VardenSalad

Alright, then.

Sheba is...frail. This was to be expected, honestly. But after the third time a Momonga and Emu teamed up to one-shot her from full before I took action, I was a bit...unhappy. This was with Sheba in her second stage class with 2  :JupiterStar: djinn. Luckily, the same occurance never happened again and sticking her with both :VenusStar: djinn kept her alive through being surprised by 3 enemies. After I believe 2 levels, both  :JupiterStar: were enough to live. @#$% Emus.

King Scorpion. Opened with Twin Shear. On Sheba. Which she lived so it was all good. Basically, that battle had Felix using the Venus djinn non-stop in order to keep defenses high and Echo off his good attack stat, then Ramses for about 150-ish damage. Jenna was in the Monk class for the extra bulk and was a Volcano and Cure Poison (until Psynergy got scarce. Deadly poison hurts.) Sheba healed nonstop due to the constant threat of Twin Shear, but threw out a Punishment or two if Felix had taken a Shear or the King had defended the turn before. No one died. [I was struck by how nice it was to have Sheba heal so Felix could use djinn and summon. It shifted damage responsibility to Felix from Sheba in the fight, but Sheba is still dealing good damage with Wind Slash in random encounters.]

I haven't fought Briggs yet (going to Garoh and Air's Rock first) but...

The Mimic fight in Kandorean temple was nuts. He's easily stronger than the Chestbeaters. No one died, but it cost so much PP to beat him that I decided to walk back into the Whirlwind cave-courtyard well tunnel to run around and recover PP since most characters were almost out. Was definitely scary for my level 4 party.

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 08, April, 2015, 06:05:21 PM
Sheba is...frail. [...] It shifted damage responsibility to Felix from Sheba in the fight, but Sheba is still dealing good damage with Wind Slash in random encounters.]
Ok, everything here is very close to what i feel about it.

QuoteI haven't fought Briggs yet (going to Garoh and Air's Rock first) but...
Ok. Just remember that shop-wise now mikasalla comes before garoh (= better equipment in garoh). If you somehow still have a savefile that allows you to, please try beating brigss right after the desert just for feedback. If you don't, well don't worry too much about it :)

QuoteThe Mimic fight in Kandorean temple was nuts. He's easily stronger than the Chestbeaters. No one died, but it cost so much PP to beat him that I decided to walk back into the Whirlwind cave-courtyard well tunnel to run around and recover PP since most characters were almost out. Was definitely scary for my level 4 party.
It's almost identical to the one you once fought in original hard mode. The only difference is that the the chances of using Psy Drain (now 12,5%) and Slash (now 25%) are switched around.

VardenSalad

I'll try and get a file to fight Briggs immediately after the desert, but I'll probably use the Garoh first file (Garoh to rest -> Mikasalla to buy and get djinn -> Air's Rock) to play through the game after that. If that's a problem, just lemme know.

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 08, April, 2015, 07:38:40 PM
I'll try and get a file to fight Briggs immediately after the desert, but I'll probably use the Garoh first file (Garoh to rest -> Mikasalla to buy and get djinn -> Air's Rock) to play through the game after that. If that's a problem, just lemme know.
No, not at all. I asked for an additional feedback on a fight with briggs right after the desert cause i always fight him at that time, before mikasalla and anything else. So if you can i'll appreciate it, but if you can't anymore or it would take too much time cause the nearest save file is too much behind... well you shouldn't worry about it.  :)

VardenSalad

Actually, it looks like my laptop died and I hadn't saved after getting thorough the desert so I'm back at Madra. Looks like making a file to go to Briggs isn't going to be as hard as I thought.

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 08, April, 2015, 08:06:31 PM
Actually, it looks like my laptop died and I hadn't saved after getting thorough the desert so I'm back at Madra. Looks like making a file to go to Briggs isn't going to be as hard as I thought.
That looks more like "forced" than "not hard".

VardenSalad

Briggs after Yampi Desert. You can't do it. I've fought this battle a dozen different ways now and the team just doesn't have the stats to pull it off. Sheba or Jenna die every time. Neither of those two can survive attacks from Briggs after an Echo Cut from one of the sailors or, when the Briggs and the sailors split targets to the casters, you can't heal fast enough. Briggs is also pretty fast and strong. Even with multiple Irons and defense with the best items, they just can't survive. Because there's 3 enemies and not just one, you couldn't even Herb spam your way through.

I'm headed to Mikasalla now on the Yampi -> Garoh -> Mika -> Air's file.

Caledor

Hmmm... I didn't think it'd be this hard... Somehow I always manage, after a few difficulties, to win at L11 without having anyone die, so I thought i finally did it. Will have to test more. Thank you very much, it was really useful.

VardenSalad

After leaving Yampi Desert, my team was level 10. If it really is the difference of just a few random battles, then I guess I was just underleveled.

I still think I'd just be squeaking by, though.

On a different note, is the team dialogue before going into Garoh supposed to feel so awkward? It just doesn't seem to flow. I ask because I think you'd been checking names of weapons and spells against the Japanese, so I was wondering if this instance of dialogue got changed in translation.

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 10, April, 2015, 12:04:23 PM
On a different note, is the team dialogue before going into Garoh supposed to feel so awkward? It just doesn't seem to flow. I ask because I think you'd been checking names of weapons and spells against the Japanese, so I was wondering if this instance of dialogue got changed in translation.
Nope, I didn't change a single line of dialogue in any game cause I built this mod porting the changes from my edited italian rom (never played with the english game) so I'm really clueless about english dialogue. Well, with the exception of the notorious "Felix must unlock the power"...