News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun Reloaded

Started by Caledor, 22, December, 2016, 03:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledor

QuoteGolden Boots
It has a niche. Sounds good enough to me.

QuoteBrilliant Circlet and Floral Dress are direct downgrades from the Astral Circlet and Cocktail Dress respectively.
Astral Circlet doesn't add Luck. Floral Dress has always been the "dud" of the Lemurian fountain.

QuoteWhat is Elementalist's Role?
Elementalist is a Fateweaver toned down offensively with better support. It's the venus child of fateweaver and pure mage. AKA the best i could came up with for a venus mage bound to GS1.

QuoteI think un-nerfing the healing bonus from Elemental Power
I changed my mind three times while writing this answer. First was no cause i want elemental bonuses to be the same for offense and healing, then yes cause offense has the pp multiplier to compensate, then no again cause this would give an unfair and unfixable advantage to classes with less elements.

Would it be possible to have the Douse Drop and Frost Jewel to bestow their entire Psynergy Lines
impossible

Give Jenna's Heretic a Venus Fume Psynergy and swap Punji with the Jupiter Psynergy closest in base power. This would give the Ker's Weight purpose and thus make sense for a Cursed Mage Build.
Heretic is the jupiter tri-elemental.

Quotesince Paladin/Holy Knight aren't worth using.
You say that, also i'd rather boost Paladin and Holy Knight than scrap them, seeing how unique they are.

QuoteOh yeah, I just remembered that I found this weird text glitch. Sheba still changes to the Tamer class just fine when equipping it, and it only happens when she changes to Tamer specifically.
Pics don't help me... i need details to replicare that. How many and which types of djinn did she have equipped?

QuoteAngel Mia is really the only one who will hit 40Luck
I'm assuming you know this false cause any other caster with access to a 130% Luck class can do the same.

QuoteI don't know the damage formula, but I don't think defense has enough weight to really be worth investing past 300 or even using a Tank Class past that 300 benchmark
There are no benchmarks in the damage formula. It's just a subtraction.

Quoteclear out the random encounters
why would you care about them? literally anything works... it's against bosses that you have to actually think about your class/gear setup

Average Wind Seer

Quote from: Caledor on 06, March, 2019, 05:13:20 AM
It has a niche. Sounds good enough to me.
a niche one would rarely use. Its previous niche of being part of an HP Regen Tank armor set was honestly more useful, in my opinion.

QuoteAstral Circlet doesn't add Luck. Floral Dress has always been the "dud" of the Lemurian fountain.
That's my bad with the Astral Circlet, but it doesn't change the fact that the Brilliant Circlet is a direct downgrade, especially considering it comes right after a Boss where the luck boost might actually be useful. Not to mention that simply brushing aside the Floral Dress' blindingly obvious flaw like that just seems lazy to me.

I changed my mind three times while writing this answer. First was no cause i want elemental bonuses to be the same for offense and healing, then yes cause offense has the pp multiplier to compensate, then no again cause this would give an unfair and unfixable advantage to classes with less elements.
That would honestly benefit them, since it would give more reason to use Dual and Mono-Elemental classes instead of just slapping on tri-elemental classes.

QuoteHeretic is the jupiter tri-elemental.
The Ker's Weight really doesn't have much use on Guardian by being Cursed, when Guardian would want PP Regen instead of Cursed Gear. And as it stands, Guardian is the only one who benefits from it. Un-cursing it and making the Lachesis' Rule or the Atropis' Rod the Cursed Staff is really the only course of action I can think of to make Ker's Weight worth using, given the current classes.

QuoteYou say that, also i'd rather boost Paladin and Holy Knight than scrap them, seeing how unique they are.
Considering that defense doesn't have enough weight for the ~30 defense loss going from Chaos Lord to Jonin to mean anything, Paladin's/Holy Knight's tanky roles don't have much use. Not to mention, like I said earlier, high HP classes are kind of redundant what with how high HP skyrockets. If you want these classes to be relevant, then I suggest nerfing everyone's overall HP scores and tweaking the damage formula so a 30 Defense loss does have a significant impact.

QuotePics don't help me... i need details to replicare that. How many and which types of djinn did she have equipped?
Given that she's a Savant, and I stated that I took that after "sequence breaking" and going straight to Contigo after Lemuria, I was hoping it was obvious she had 7 Mercury Djinn.

QuoteThere are no benchmarks in the damage formula. It's just a subtraction.
300 Defense is about where endgame randoms deal less than 200 damage with normal attacks (if I remember right), and given how absurdly high your HP scores will be at that point (800-900+), anything dealing less than 200 to the party isn't worth caring about.

Quotewhy would you care about them? literally anything works... it's against bosses that you have to actually think about your class/gear setup
Considering random encounters can actually kill you if you're careless or force you to deplete huge amounts of PP, you'll tend to favor classes that can deal with random encounters quickly. Against most bosses, any extra defense past 300 or so is moot either due to the bosses having sky high attack scores, or due to them using base damage attacks. Again, tweaking the damage formula so defense actually does matter past 300 or so, or simply giving higher defense to armors and the character's innate defense scores, will easily change this matter.

EDIT:
I'm looking at v1.73a via Atrius' editor, and holy moley are these modifier values right? for example, it shows Archon with 390% HP, 330%Atk, 330%Agility, 300%MaxPP, 300%Defense, and 200% Luck.

are all of these blank slots shown able to be filled? because if so, then there's plenty of room for new items, some psynergies, and maybe like one or two classes. I personally would like to see the 50PP Recovery item from Dark Dawn to show up here and be buyable, so we have a reason to actually use the money we get (along with Mountain Waters being buyable in the Eastern Sea).

Caledor

you need to halve them. or just look at the class doc.
as for items/psy, i lack icons. for classes, just no. we already discussed the 4th item class

Average Wind Seer

I really don't care about a 4th Item Class at this point. I was just noting that given the number of blank slots, there's room for one or maybe two classes.

aren't Punishment, Heal, and Boon recolors of pre-existing icons? (Ray line flipped upside-down, Wish/Aura, and Cure/Ply respectively) If so, couldn't you recolor some other item icon (like maybe the Mint item?) for an equivalent to Dark Dawn's Ginseng? Having something to bridge the gap between Mountain Waters and Psy Crystals, like Corn did for Herbs and Nuts, would be very nice, especially if we can freely buy them.

Caledor

Quote from: Average Wind Seer on 06, March, 2019, 09:05:00 PM
aren't Punishment, Heal, and Boon recolors of pre-existing icons?
No recolors. I have a fixed number of slots, each different icons takes 1 (can easily be seen from the editor).

TheHappyCatsTail

hey so I've got a weird question. i experienced something.... odd. i apologies in advance if its a dumb question lmao. its not a problem it just confused the hell out of me so i literally made an account to ask this question lmfao! it bothered me that much yes! :P not sure if its hack related or base game related but 2 of the djinnis had swapped locations for me. to be specific Mud :VenusDjinni: and Chill :MercuryDjinni: in the lost age. Chill :MercuryDjinni: is supposed to be encountered on the world map in southern gondowan and Mud :VenusDjinni: in gabomba catacombs. but i encountered Mud :VenusDjinni: on the over-world instead in Chills :MercuryDjinni: location, and Chill in Muds location. did you swap them around in the hack or is that something that can happen in the base game if you go djinni hunting as soon as you get to gondowan? i'm not crazy i sware! lmao i looked up 20 million different guides and found screenshots of Chill being encountered in southern gondowan. I've played through both games an uncountable amount of times and I've never seen this before so i naturally assumed it was hack related. if its base game related its such a minor thing that i would wager people just simply haven't noticed this happening before. and i'm curious what the point of such a thing would even be if its hack related. again i know this is a weird question but its bothering me lots and making me feel like I've gone mad or something :P Lmao

by the way you've done an excellent job with this, really spiced up the games and after 50 billion playthroughs it was sorely needed for me :P thanks loads!

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

TheHappyCatsTail

Quote from: Fox on 10, March, 2019, 09:59:36 PM
Hack related

http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2779.msg47868;topicseen#msg47868
QuoteDjinn:
Mud and Chill swapped places

ahh thanks okay. i'm not crazy after all!! :P lol probably should read through all these pages first before making that comment but thats such an odd thing to change. i'm curious what the reasoning behind it is

I used the search feature to find that post, by the way. (Use the search feature while in this topic so you only get results from this topic.)

Also, the swap is mentioned in the first post of this topic too. (Missed it at first.)

QuoteEarly Game Djinn Imbalance
When Piers joins you end up with 2/3/3/5 Ve/Ma/Ju/Me Djinns. Swapping Mud with Chill changes the distribution to a much more manageable 3/3/3/4.

Trivia/FYI:
I see the grammar error is common...

Djinni = singular
Djinn = plural

And the game always starts the word with a capital letter.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

TheHappyCatsTail

Quote from: Fox on 10, March, 2019, 10:12:22 PM
I used the search feature to find that post, by the way. (Use the search feature while in this topic so you only get results from this topic.)

Also, the swap is mentioned in the first post of this topic too. (Missed it at first.)

QuoteEarly Game Djinn Imbalance
When Piers joins you end up with 2/3/3/5 Ve/Ma/Ju/Me Djinns. Swapping Mud with Chill changes the distribution to a much more manageable 3/3/3/4.

Trivia/FYI:
I see the grammar error is common...

Djinni = singular
Djinn = plural

And the game always starts the word with a capital letter.

ahh okay yeah that makes a tonne of sense actually i was always bothered by that in the base game thanks (: hopefully i wont have any other dumb questions lol but if i do ill make sure to use search first :P and i always thought the plural AND singular of Djinni was just.... Djinni :P good to know lol :P not that it matters a whole lot lmao.

Caledor

Quoteif i do ill make sure to use search first
Most of the time there's no need to go that far. Checking the first post should be enough

Depending on the information you are looking for.

Does the first post explain why the Djinn were switched?

--

@Djinn(i) grammar = Yeah, I thought maybe you might have not known, which is why I mentioned, in case it is of interest. (And it is related to the topic still, but different.)
It is an interesting piece of information... Psynergy is also capitalized... and I'm guessing the same spelling is used for singular and plural. (Could be the same, just like how "code" is singular and plural... Although, I'd argue that "codes" is fair enough, since the way I see it,... if it can be easily understood, it shouldn't really matter. Heheh.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

bpat

I just finished a playthrough of TBS and you really nailed the difficulty curve in this game. I can't think of anything that was too easy or too hard except maybe Deadbeard and Fusion Dragon being too easy. I managed to beat Deadbeard at level 26 (no Break this time!!) and Fusion Dragon at level 28 for reference, though I think I could have done it at lower levels. Saturos and Menardi are actually harder than Fusion Dragon in my opinion but none of the bosses are pushovers. Hydros Statue was my favorite boss fight and probably the hardest. Attached is a screenshot of my very close victory.

I'm playing TLA now and it feels like I need to level grind while I didn't in TBS. I don't think my behavior for fighting vs running from enemies is different between the games, yet my level 13ish squad is getting destroyed in Gondowan Cliffs. I had similar struggles in Yampi Desert and Air's Rock where if two or three enemies decided to gang up on Sheba or Jenna they'd just go down in a single round of combat. To me it seems the experience gain doesn't scale with the enemy strength as much as in TBS so I end up a little underleveled. Other than that, the game is still solid so far. King Scorpion was a great fight but Briggs and Chestbeaters were a little too easy. Briggs' squad spends too many turns doing nothing so I don't need to worry too much about healing. I've actually been finding Djinn harder than the bosses so I resorted to Poison cheesing against many of them like Blitz, Kindle, and Mud.

A general thing I've noticed is critical boosting items are pretty bad until very late in TLA. There is little reason to stack crit when you won't realistically pass 60% chance anyway, so I tend to favor items with better combat stats and using Ragnarok and similar Psynergy on my warrior adepts. I think a lot of the the earlier crit boosting items could have their crit values improved without being imbalanced since they will still have to compete with strong attack Psynergy and Djinn that are more reliable and deal comparable damage. Warrior adepts don't really care about burning a bit of PP on these attacks since they can be counted on to deal good damage.

Caledor

Quote from: bpat on 14, March, 2019, 01:18:27 AM
I'm playing TLA now and it feels like I need to level grind while I didn't in TBS. I don't think my behavior for fighting vs running from enemies is different between the games, yet my level 13ish squad is getting destroyed in Gondowan Cliffs. I had similar struggles in Yampi Desert and Air's Rock where if two or three enemies decided to gang up on Sheba or Jenna they'd just go down in a single round of combat. To me it seems the experience gain doesn't scale with the enemy strength as much as in TBS so I end up a little underleveled.

Level 10-18 (Yampi to Kibombo) in TLA is the hardest to balance. Usually is pretty easy since TBS scales really well so it's just about finding a good multiplier to the stats there (on top of some changes to the skills) and copy paste them to TLA, which is way easier than the predecessor.

But TBS assumes that you gain Mia at 10, and scales accordingly. In TBS though, Piers joins at 18, so with a mere copy paste from TBS (my starting point) you end up fighting enemies balanced for a team of 4 with a team of 3. I obviously made a lot of changes since then, trying to smooth out that difficulty spike but getting rid of it is another thing sadly (moreso if you're a bit underleveled).

Thanks for the feedback ;)

bpat

I just finished Aqua Rock and I'm still not sure what Piers is supposed to contribute to my team at this point in the game. He learns literally no offense Psynergy better than Froth Spiral until level 23 where he can finally get Hail Prism, though that's only in his base class which is otherwise pretty bad. He's worse at both physical attacks and AoE than Felix until level 23 where he finally learns Hail Prism so he's been relegated to using Mad Blast and Healing Aura in Aqua Rock because he just doesn't have better options. He's tanky but that's about all he has going for him and it doesn't really matter when the other Adepts just go down instead of him because he doesn't do enough damage to kill anything. I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on how to use Piers pre-Hail Prism because I have no idea how to make him useful.

Average Wind Seer

I just slap Piers under Mars for better ST physical damage or Jupiter to help out his speed. Admittedly, Piers doesn't really shine until you gain access to Tri-Elemental classes (or slap him under Tamer or Pierrot).

The Warrior Psynergy lists honestly baffle me, since in just about every class outside the Hyrbids have VERY low PP Cost Psynergies (Jonin has Shuriken which is still fairly cheap for strong damage). Even when spamming the strongest available Psynergy in battle, the Mages almost always burn through their PP pools FAR faster than the guys do (especially in during the Eastern Sea if you snag Luna Shields for Piers & Felix). Obviously there's not much that can be done here since the Warriors typically AREN'T supposed to have super strong Psynergy, but maybe giving Jenna & Sheba a PP Regen armor piece during the Eastern Sea will help balance out that weird disparity of PP Sustain between the Warriors and Mages?

Also would it be possible to make a Psynergy that dispels Debuffs from the party? It could use the same Icon and graphics as Break, since they have similar functions. It'd be a handy way to shake off nasty debuffs without having to fight so hard against a constant stream of debuffing (like Aviamander's Star Mine easily crippling the party with its Resistance Debuff, making Ward not strong enough to keep up). If you think having it affect the party would be too strong, simply make it ST to force players to be mindful of who's most important to return to their normal stats. (e.g. Dispelling Jenna's heavy Defense & Resist debuffs so she's not at such a huge risk of dying over the next few turns, or Dispelling Felix's Attack debuffs to help shorten the battle.)

bpat

Aside from endgame if you learned all your Psynergy, Mages don't even have stronger Psynergy than warriors aside from Piers who has a horrible Psynergy list in all his classes until around level 27. It all depends on what level your adepts are. For instance, Felix with Clay Spire/Tornado hits a lot harder than Jenna with Flare Storm/Briar which makes him the better caster until Jenna learns Volcano/Searing Beam.

Average Wind Seer

The Flare line is just plain awful. The Thorn line is also pretty bad, but nowhere near as awful as Flare. Student Sheba has a pretty stinkin' unfair advantage over Miko Jenna, since Plasma and Ice are the 3rd strongest Psynergy lines of their respective elements. Meanwhile Miko only has Fume for comparable offense, which isn't good for random encounters, and Thorn is incredibly underpowered for Miko's only means of AoE damage.

Those combined are why I either put Jenna under Monk for stronger damage + Wish, or Jupiter for some very powerful Psynergy and Paralyze.

bpat

Did Balrog get harder recently? He's been destroying my level 37 team this run. I thought 40 luck on Mia would be enough but he still manages to Djinn Stun --> stun or sleep her surprisingly often. Also he straight up oneshots my squishier adepts with Stun Jip sometimes which is terrifying since I can't rely on having Granite/Shade/Flash up each turn.

Edit: I did manage to win but it was a struggle. I probably had to use revive Psynergy/Djinn at least 10 times and I cast 1-2 Wish Well / Estre Wood each turn. It would have been much easier if I level grinded for Pure Wish so I could get away with only one party heal per turn instead of needing two. I tried the Moloch strategy that I did last time but sometimes he'd just summon Moloch himself without me being able to disrupt him.

Average Wind Seer

I think I was about Lv.42 with Guardian Jenna, Jonin Garet, Piers (don't remember his class. Might've been Destroyer or Archon), and Ivan (either Fury or Pure Mage). Ivan is very helpful here since he can use any leftover Djinn from the previous round to Summon before Balrog gets his turn (I think. I don't remember if Balrog is faster than Ivan).

Stun Jip is pretty dangerous, but even at Lv.42+, it can be fatal if he summons Zagan a few times first. Not to mention his Djinn Stun makes relying on 40+ Luck for status immunity a moot strategy.