News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun Reloaded

Started by Caledor, 22, December, 2016, 03:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatTheFAQ

Hey I've come into some kind of bug. I just realized that I'm missing the djinn Mud, the one inside the catacombs of Gabomba that you can access after rturnung to Madra and then coming back to Gabomba. I completed the dungeon and after that I went to fight it. The thing is I don't have it and it doesn't seem to be there though. I remember fihgting him but I can't remember if I defeated him or if it just fleed without me noticing as it was a few days ago (right now I was abour to forge the trident to fight Posidon). Is there any way I can manually add Mud into my team with gameshark?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

You can do it with a Save Game Editor....  (I should check to make sure, though.)
Or you can do it in VBA's memory viewer.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

WhatTheFAQ

Quote from: Fox on 27, December, 2019, 08:29:06 PM
You can do it with a Save Game Editor....  (I should check to make sure, though.)
Or you can do it in VBA's memory viewer.

Thanks. Can I find those tools on this forum? Anyway I'll look for it by myself if needed, but any help would be welcomed as I have 0 experience with those. Btw I'm playing the hackrom on my nintendo switch via VBA

Caledor

Opening post, Djinn & Summons: "Chill and Mud's encounters swapped".

sandokhaan

Hi! First of all, I'd like to say that I really appreciate all the effort you've put into this mod/hack/rework. I am only in Kalay now, so I can't give you a proper review (it's not like another one was needed at this point), but I am  having almost as much fun as when I played the game for the first time!
The difficulty seems pretty hard (especially bosses), but still fair at the same time. I actually got a game over during the prologue part with kid Isaac and Garet, so congratulations for that! Otherwise, things got really bad only with Tret, had to beat him with Isaac and Garet poisoned. (that spider moveset change was incredibly evil)
I'd also like to ask about/point out some things about item/psynergy distributions, but it's mostly nitpicking.
1. How can you obtain the new boots/rings/shirts? Just by playing the classic slot minigame in Contigo?
2. If you compare basic mono-elemental classses, you have Garet with pretty shallow psynergy pool at one side (Blast, Nova and EPA at base level, Guard/Volcano later) and Sheba, who gets a lot more off the bat (Whirlwind, Slash, Punishment, Boon, and some buffs/debuffs later). I get that Garet is supposed to be the worst spellcaster and Sheba the best one, but to me it feels like Sheba should unlock one of these psynergy lines at a bit higher class level. Or maybe the early game in TLA is so hard that would make it imbalanced, who knows?
3. Why did you replace Piers' Cool line with Prism? Did you need the slots for some of the new stuff?
4. And finally, I'd like you to elaborate a bit more about your reasoning behind the newly introduced EPAs for tri-elemental classes. Like, Meltdown, the strongest fire EPA is unique to Piers, a mercury adept, and Waterspout, the strongest water EPA is unique to Jenna, a mars adept. I mean, they're cool and everything, but why?

Caledor

Hi, glad you're having fun with the mod.

1. Check the drop list on the first post. Anything that is different from vanilla is there.
2. It actually doesn't make that much of a difference, it's mostly design reasons. I decided that non-spellcaster classes would unlock the highest tier after 4+ djinn, since they normally don't even have access to them.
3. Piers needed a stronger spell there (same tier as Gaia/Volcano/Plasma). Also yeah, free slots.
4. About the tri-elemental, i made each set of 4 tri-ele class tied to a different main element. Valkyrie is mercury based and Destroyers mars based. Characters have nothing to do with who got what, only classes matter.

sandokhaan

Yeah, I've finally noticed that those ninja sandals etc. are rare drops now.
Thanks for the clarifications. And If I understand it right, Meltdown/Waterspout are unique to Piers/Jenna, because the other mars/mercury based tri-elemental classes either either have group heals and you didn't want those to have access to the strongest EPAs, or in the Samurai's case, already have one on exactly same power level. That is actually very smart.
And for the (hopefully) final question, this time about dual-elemental classes for Piers/Jenna. Jenna's Guru/Inquisitor and Piers' Protector/Radiant classes have same names and stat percentages as their same element equivalents for Mia/Ivan,Sheba and Isaac,Felix/Garet, but completely different psynergies. Why's that? 

sandokhaan

Nvm I think I got it. They are actually the same, you only swapped the elements while keeping the general power level and type of the psynergies the same, right?

Caledor

Spot on. It's the main/secondary elements that are swapped

Cherryblossomstorm

EDIT: CLEAN ROM FIXED IT. LOL

Hey! Appreciate all your hard work on this mod. I applied the patch to a clean English rom. There are a few text glitches on item descriptions. Also, Garet learns Impact twice as a Page/Fated?

I assume I did something wrong, surely glitches this obvious would be fixed? Or, are these known bugs? Thank you so much.

Images of bugs: https://imgur.com/a/tF7L0Mu

sandokhaan

On what level you are supposed go through Suhalla desert? Cause I was on 21/22, and Storm Lizard was... hard. It basically required two dedicated Wish healers just to survive the Tempest/Wing Stroke onslaught, and even then it just proceeded to eat through all my PP and promptly TPK me afterwards. I finally managed to beat it somewhat easily with Isaac and Garet in base classes using Granite,Flash,Ground etc. (you can easily cats resist on Granite/Flash turns) to help surviving and charge summons, while Ivan and Mia spammed Wish. Ember's PP recovery was the MVP of the whole fight.
Is this the intended experience or am I just underleveled?
Also, the Colosso fights were a bit anticlimactic, just basic vanilla experience. Maybe give those gladiators some monster skills like Brute Force/Berserk/War Cry to spice things up a bit?

Caledor

alternating walls is never the intended experience. I don't remember anything particular from that fight so i guess you're just slightly underleveled? I mean i'm pretty ceartain that some crossbone bosses, which are at the same level, gave me a much harder time. Giving self buffs to colosso gladiators is a nice idea to spice things up, but in a short 1vs1 fight it will probably make things even easier since it's a turn with no damage taken.

sandokhaan

I think it was mostly me being underleveled. The fight itself wasn't THAT challenging, but if the damn gecko decided to use two AoE moves in one turn (basically 75% of the time), I took more damage than I could heal by casting Wish 2 times. And as I didn't want to run past or to grind, I used the wall djinni to setup resistance buffs, and it was just simply healing and cycling djinni to cast Meteor and Judgment from then. Well, except that one time it used Tempest two times in a row at the end of the turn, then the agility debuff expired, and proceeded to KO both my healers next turn, cause Mia couldn't heal in time. But as I said, it was most likely me being overleveled. Only feasible nerf to it I could imagine would be lowering it's PP by a half or so to slightly lower the damage and giving it passive PP regen, or just lowering the chance of using the multi target moves in favor of something single target move like some enhanced attack or Judgment. But it's probably fine as it is.
Can't really compare it to the Crossbone fights yet, I really hate running through Suhalla desert 3 times in a single playthrough  :sad:

Cherryblossomstorm

Confirmed bug. Mia loses Avoid and gains 2 copies of Protect when moving from Yamabushi to Ascetic (3-->4 Mars Djinn). Clean rom.

Also Mia doesn't gain Wish with 4 mars djinn? is that intended?

Finally... certain class lines advance at 4 AND again at 5 djinn - Garet's mercury class and Ivan's mars class are examples. Then some don't advance with 5. Is this intentional?

sandokhaan

Deadbeard is probably as hard as vanilla Dullahan without summons. I suppose he could've been a bit easier if I just used some classic class combinations, but I really wanted to use tri-elemental classes, and they were probably not that optimal for this fight. If Deadbeard didn't have Break or Impact, it could have been a pretty easy fight. It's really fun when he buffs his attack, removes your buffs and then starts jumping at your team dealing 300-400 damage, possibly two times in a row. First 3 or so tries started out good, but approximately 4-5k damage later he always used Impact and Break, and then started swiping my team like he was on Tinder, KOing everybody. And then I realized he ran out of PP (not enough for Crystal Prism, but enough for a few Breaks/Impacts), and after I rebuffed and his Impacts expired, it was over.
I think it's very interesting that he is actually most dangerous for about two turns after he stops using Psynergy, because he's practically guaranteed to use only Break, Impact, Swipe and 300 damage basic attack.
10/10 experience, really looking forward to TLA superbosses.

Here's my class setup, if anybody's interested.

:Isaac: 4 :MarsStar: 3 :JupiterStar:
Samurai is very tanky, Helm Splitter deals a lot of damage.
:Garet::VenusStar: 3 :MercuryStar:
Used mostly for spamming Protect/Impact, but also has reasonable damage. When things turn bad, using Granite morphed Garet into a White Knight, becoming a second Wish spammer.
:Ivan::MercuryStar::MarsStar:
ALL the buffs, also a fast ST healer when needed
:Mia: 4 :JupiterStar::VenusStar:
Healbot, also has special secret option of using Dull and promptly causing TPK because it missed and buffed Deadbeard used Swipe twice in a row.

Caledor

QuoteConfirmed bug. Mia loses Avoid and gains 2 copies of Protect when moving from Yamabushi to Ascetic (3-->4 Mars Djinn). Clean rom.

Confirmed. It's already been fixed on my end and I'll upload the updated patch soon. Thanks for reporting.

EDIT: The Patch has been uploaded

QuoteAlso Mia doesn't gain Wish with 4 mars djinn? is that intended?
Yes, check the class doc. The Guru class line lost Wish and gained Raise, among other (minor) changes.

QuoteFinally... certain class lines advance at 4 AND again at 5 djinn - Garet's mercury class and Ivan's mars class are examples. Then some don't advance with 5. Is this intentional?

In vanilla GS the symbiotic dual classes Earth-Fire and Wind-Water (Brute and Hermit) already do that. I merely extended this quirk to all dual classes.

@sandokhaan Glad you've enjoyed the first game and i have to say i really liked your DB setup, especially your plan for garet.
TLA is where the real fun starts with all the new items, psynergies, classes and characters. With the first game you barely scrape the surface. ;)

sandokhaan

Just cleared Aqua Rock in TLA, and my experience thus far has been... interesting. The whole Indra-Osenia-Gondowan part of the game felt both too hard and too easy at the same time. Felix, Jenna and Sheba are a lot more powerful and balanced party than Isaac, Garet and Felix. You get a very good physical attacker, (a lot stronger than Isaac and Garet in early TBS, mainly thanks to artifact weapons) and two mages with useful support spells and ST damage. In the early parts of TBS you could heal only with Isaac, and then you'd lose a lot of your damage, and this is no longer problem in TLA. But this is an issue that wasn't caused on your part, I just felt like mentioning it.
Some enemies could potentially deal over 80% Jenna/Sheba's max HP (Skeletons with the sword from ground and Trolls with Brute Force), and no access to revive skills until late Osenia made it that more annyoing. The bosses (King Scorpion, Briggs) also felt slightly toothless compared to Tret or Saturos, but the generic Djinni fights were absolutely brutal. And the whole Osenia felt a bit too hard earlier and a bit too easy later, but that was mostly due to the inherent non-linearity of the continent.
Things got a lot better (and harder) in Gondowan, and this trend seems to continue in the Eastern Sea as well. My only problem at this point is that I have too many forgeable items but not enough money to pay for them.
While you did an excellent job with this mod, it made the design flaws in TLA (weirdly non-linear Osenia, carrying random Mercury Djinni that don't really contribute to your classes) even more obvious, but there's really nothing to be done about that. I am still on the fence about Felix not having Cure and Sheba having Boon, Felix being free to go ham with unleashes/EPAs every single turn might be too good in the early game, but that can't really be changed, or we'd either lose all the early game healing or get rid of the difference between Isaac/Felix and Ivan/Sheba in this hack.
Oh, and one more thing. After getting Piers, it's really simple to get a class setup that gives you 3 MT heals. Not sure if this threatens the balance of pre-reunion areas, it just felt worth noting. (Yeah, I get it. Aura and Heal aren't in TBS, and only new classes they could be given to are from Jenna/Piers)
For example:
:Felix: 4  :JupiterStar:
:Piers::VenusStar:
:Jenna::MarsStar:
:Sheba::MercuryStar:

sandokhaan

Shouldn't Minotaurs drop Tartarus Axes? Because they seem to drop Vials on my end.

Caledor

Yeah, forgot to mention it in the opening post (i amended now).

Added:
Minotaurs: Removed Tartarus Axe cause it's now found in a chest, see Treasures section (It's in the ankhol ruins).

Caledor

About balancing issues, yeah, the non linearity is a problem. Power levels are tailored for specific levels and a specific visit order. Moreover, al lower levels, small stat differences have a pretty big impact on percentile damage. So it's very easy to feel a big change in overall difficulty if you are under/lower leveled.

The 3 healer setup is indeed a minor issue. Maybe I can remove Heal from Piers' Protector... problem will be finding something that fits thematically and is almost as good as Wish. Maybe... Bravery + Mercury Ward.