News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Comics/Manga

Started by Charon, 13, February, 2010, 10:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charon

Anyone regularly read comics or manga? So far I've read the following (with a short opinion on each):

I don't read a lot of different comics, but what I like, I REALLY like and can't stop reading over and over...

A few years ago I read a few volumes of these and several others I can't remember:
Deathnote
Now unlike many kids my age with my tastes for all things bleak, I couldn't stand this manga after a while... it got really annoying because of all the "logic-holes" that bore open like bullet holes o.o

DN Angel
Well, I used to be a rabid fan of this... now I kinda don't see the point. Like, a kid who turns into a 400 year old dude whenever he sees the girl he likes? And how he has to steal stuff? Really... where is this going? It's the silliest love story ever >_>

Mythical Detective Loki: Ragnarok
...possibly one of the most disorganized works I've ever read...

AND NOW THE STUFF I'VE READ IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS

By Osamu Tezuka:
Phoenix
I've read volumes 1-6 and 8 of this so far... and I think it's an awesome manga. I love it. What I love about it is that it seems innocent on its surface (unlike Tezuka's more mature works) but it's really quite deep after you read it. My favourite volume by far is definately Ressurection.

Ode to Kirihito
Another great read, but it's +800 pages. It really keeps you turnin' each page though. It's like a medical based thriller/drama/horror manga, but dayum did I like the twists and turns in this.

MW
...why Tezuka wrote this... I don't know. I put it down around page 70 and haven't picked it up since. It's this seemingly pointless yaoi fest, but knowing Tezuka, his intentions were probably different. He definately did not execute this as well as the above two though.

By James O'Barr
The Crow
...I don't have much to say about this one... but READ IT. It's one of the best literary works I've ever read, and would recommend it to anyone who can take the agressive, dark tone. Even if you've seen the 1994 movie... you don't know the original story. I love this book so much, I read it at least 50 times in the first month of having it. I know its every nuance, its every detail, its every little black line, forever etched in my memory, and let me tell you - it's incredible. Gawd I effin' loved this book. SO LISTEN TO YOUR ADMIN AND READ IT WHEN YOU GOT THE TIME LULZ

...and that's it.

GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS I NEED TO READ MORE D:

Zach

Well here's a few

Popular:
-------
Naruto, Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist

Non-Popular:
------------
Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

I read and watch Naruto and Bleach, I only watch Full Metal Alchemist (which also has a 2nd part series anime coming on TONIGHT on Adult Swim at Midnight :D ). Haven't read Katekyo Hitman Reborn yet, but I hear it's a great manga

Atrius (He/Him)

Zebra Girl is a great webcomic I would recommend to others, you should really starting reading from the very beginning though.  It started off as something of a comedy, but the story keeps getting more serious as it goes on.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Mion Sonozaki

I've red more manga than I can remember O_O
Although most of the ones I read are of the romance drama genre. My favorite one by far has to be MARS though because it was more than just a romance drama. It was also a mystery story, and had mature, psychological themes to it.

I was never much of a fan of anime since they're usually watered down manga though.

Right now I'm currently into visual novels, and like I said in my intro post, I am a huge fanboy of Tsukihime and especially Higurashi. In fact, my avatar is Mion from Higurashi xD