News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Serpent has a lower HP limit?

Started by Aile~♥, 15, April, 2010, 09:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aile~♥

I just discovered that the Serpent's HP can't be set above four digits in the editor, the game automatically ignores one of them (presumably either the first or last digit). This effectively makes his HP limit 9999. Which is annoying, cause with that amount of HP, he can be killed in two hits in one of my hacks (my ToS styled one.) I supposed in that case I'll have to give him the ability to summon more of himself? Or give him an annoying crony who does nothing but cast Regen Dance on him. Either way, it's going to be a pain to deal with. I mean, it's not so hard to use Sheba's Psychic Burst followed by Felix's Gaia's Wrath. Or Piers' Tidal Fury and one of the other two. (Psychic Burst does 5000 damage to a single target, Gaia's Wrath does about 6500 to a single target, and Piers' Tidal Fury hits all enemies for about 3500 damage.)
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

Well, I am not really sure how to help (but I might be able to take a look for you later?). Anyway, I had a similar problem with Poseidon. I made the pre-barrier Poseidon have 65k+ HP, and using the Trident killed him in one hit (dealing little over 100 HP). It might have something to do with the unknown values? One of them might be responsible for HP limit.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 15, April, 2010, 09:02:27 PM
I just discovered that the Serpent's HP can't be set above four digits in the editor, the game automatically ignores one of them (presumably either the first or last digit). This effectively makes his HP limit 9999. Which is annoying, cause with that amount of HP, he can be killed in two hits in one of my hacks (my ToS styled one.) I supposed in that case I'll have to give him the ability to summon more of himself? Or give him an annoying crony who does nothing but cast Regen Dance on him. Either way, it's going to be a pain to deal with. I mean, it's not so hard to use Sheba's Psychic Burst followed by Felix's Gaia's Wrath. Or Piers' Tidal Fury and one of the other two. (Psychic Burst does 5000 damage to a single target, Gaia's Wrath does about 6500 to a single target, and Piers' Tidal Fury hits all enemies for about 3500 damage.)
He's a large sprite, though.  If you summon another him, you'll pretty much break the graphics engine, since it can't handle that much data on the screen at one time.  Remember the size limits:

6x 32x32
3x 64x64
1x 128x64
And, since we *should* have the room for it (Atrius, back me up if it's possible):
1x 192x64

Aile~♥

Sala, I think that had something to do with you giving Barrier Poseidon and Broken Barrier Poseidon different HP values, since you said you only gave the Barrier Poseidon 65k HP. Basically, it wouldn't matter if Barrier Poseidon had a ton of HP as long as Broken Barrier Poseidon had only, say, 18, because the barrier will be broken and then it'll read the HP value for Broken Barrier Poseidon for the damage dealt. (This is all just a theory of course.)

@Role: Then I guess I'd just have to give him a mook-ish friendly with massive HP to cast Regen Dance all the time with infinite PP (just give it over 45 PP regen and a ridiculously large PP meter (to make sure you don't manage to drain it), that'd do the trick (oh and 99 Luck to make it virtually immune to Psy Seal)).

Salanewt

That would make sense, except that the regular Poseidon was around 6k I think. I also found it strange that to kill Poseidon at one point, I needed to deal more damage than broken-barrier's total HP (when I initially set barrier's HO to 8k+).

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

Did I make the editor accept HP values up to 65k?  The max HP *should* be 32767, I believe.

QuoteAnd, since we *should* have the room for it (Atrius, back me up if it's possible):
1x 192x64
There's video memory for it, but the game's sprite engine doesn't support sprites that large.  If you look at the data the 128x64 ones are split in half down the middle into two 64x64 sprites as it is.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

So there'd be no way to get it to support fusing three 64x64 sprites?

Atrius (He/Him)

Why not just fit it into two, and increase their default scaling settings to make them look larger?
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

The editor does indeed support past 65k (even for experience). However, the reason why I think barrier Posiedon died in one hit is because HP is a signed value in Golden Sun (I doubt it, but it almost looks that way)? However, that is not the absolute limit (32767 x 2 = max limit (or FFFF translated to decimal)). Stats like HP/PP recovery have limits though, but probably because they are bytes?

Anyway, to avoid staying off topic, I did notice that if you use the Trident on barrier Poseidon, those stats should stay in place until the turn after Trident is used (because I once had him at 8k and non-barrier at 6k, which caused too much summon damage to be taken without death).

And now to get back on topic... I suppose the reason why one of Serpent's digits is ignored is because one of them is reserved as a multiplier for his HP recovery? I have no idea, since Atrius is the Golden Sun expert who knows most of this data (or at least a fair amount).

Have a nice day.

Aile~♥

@Atrius (saying the limit was32767): Wrong, because Dullahan has 65k+ HP.
And I'd set the Serpent to about 26k, and he was somehow dying from 6700 damage.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Well that's weird. That hacked Serpent of yours SHOULDN'T die from taking damage that it could've EASILY survived......

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 15, April, 2010, 10:28:04 PM
@Role: Then I guess I'd just have to give him a mook-ish friendly with massive HP to cast Regen Dance all the time with infinite PP (just give it over 45 PP regen and a ridiculously large PP meter (to make sure you don't manage to drain it), that'd do the trick (oh and 99 Luck to make it virtually immune to Psy Seal)).
Nah, give him TWO of those just for the lulz XD

Aile~♥

The game was treating it as if the Serpent had only 2600 HP. Which is annoying... and wierd O.o

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 17, April, 2010, 05:45:24 PM
The game was treating it as if the Serpent had only 2600 HP. Which is annoying... and wierd O.o
Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 17, April, 2010, 05:45:24 PM
You stupid, stupid game.... >_>

Salanewt

One question... Jamie? What are all of its stats please? Perhaps there is a connection between all of its different stats (and the stats of each Serpent might help too?).

Have a nice day.

Aile~♥

I didn't touch any stats on the Serpent except HP, which I've now set to 9999 (which is the highest it can be and still actually WORK).

Rolina

It could be the regen aspect of Serpent's secondary enemy data.  Same with Poseidon and his barrier aspect.

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 17, April, 2010, 02:16:14 PM
@Atrius (saying the limit was32767): Wrong, because Dullahan has 65k+ HP.

Dullahan has 16k HP...

Aile~♥

I'm obviously feeling a bit STUPID today. Sorry.

Allow me to go check what you set the limit as.

Yeah... the HP limit is set at 65k.
Hmm...
You say it should only be 32767? K, I'll remember not to set the HP any higher than that.

I recall hearing that the actual limit was something like 16535 or something like that...

Atrius (He/Him)

It probably warrants some experimentation.

i_am_isaac

So serpent has a max HP of 9999 but why does serpent 7's HP can exceed 9999 although they have
the same HP regen multiplier I don't get it and isn't it that all monsters max HP can't exceed of about 16000 because I try to make Dullahan's HP into 42k but he died when my damage reach at about 20k?
Tsk... college life is nice...