Atrius: I'm trying to fix the site, but it might take a while.

It seems the SQL database had grown larger than our hosting company allows.
I've cleaned out all of the unnecessary log data to get it down to an
acceptable size, but haven't received a response as to why normal
functionality hasn't been restored yet.

Warning of a Hacker going around GS communities
Golden Sun Hacking Community
July 19, 2018, 10:58:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning of a Hacker going around GS communities  (Read 8705 times)
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« on: April 23, 2010, 05:36:46 PM »

MOVE THIS TO THE NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS.

I'm giving everyone a warning:  A hacker seems to be going around various GS communities and baiting people into being hacked.  This hacker hacked a few people's computers over in The Adepts of Weyard around the time a prominent hacker that ToK had problems with, Grim Reapist, returned to try and stir up trouble.  Although they are similar, it is unknown if it is the same person.  However, given that the incidents are related both in nature and occured at a similar time, it may be that someone is actively targeting GS Fan Communities.

Guys, we need to be on the look out for ANYTHING suspicious.  I know this is a hacking community, but we're for hacking into the game, not into another person's computer.  There's a few things to look out for:

The bait and switch in question: http://s2.zetaboards.com/The_Adepts_of_Weyard/topic/5086166/1/
The intro topic of the hacker: http://s2.zetaboards.com/The_Adepts_of_Weyard/topic/5084167/1/
Topic the returning hacker started in ToK: http://s9.zetaboards.com/The_Temple_of_Kraden/topic/7202264/1/
Another topic they started in ToK: http://s9.zetaboards.com/The_Temple_of_Kraden/topic/7200139/1/

If you see ANY intro topic with similar grammatical nightmares, any topics that look like outright flames with links back to their sites, or anything that you even THINK might be a trap, stay the hell away from it, report it IMMEDIATELY, and warn other people of what's going on.

This is a very serious matter, guys.  We cannot afford to drop our guard, ESPECIALLY given the nature of this community.

View Profile WWW
MaxiPower
Feed Me Coins!!
Venus Clan

Great Member

Coins: 1

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 05:53:59 PM »

So wait, we can spot them because they use bad grammar, what if they make no mistakes in there text, and these banned people seem like people that just made accounts to cause trouble... or am I missing something? Whos computer has been hacked?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 05:55:40 PM by MaxiPower » Logged
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 05:56:40 PM »

No, this is something in common.  I'm saying that you need to be ware of things like the Bait and Switch.  They posted a link back to their site, and that's how one member's PC got hacked.

It was Alex, I believe.

View Profile WWW
MaxiPower
Feed Me Coins!!
Venus Clan

Great Member

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 06:03:57 PM »

No, this is something in common.  I'm saying that you need to be ware of things like the Bait and Switch.  They posted a link back to their site, and that's how one member's PC got hacked.

It was Alex, I believe.

Isnt there a way to disallow users to post links until say they have like 10 posts, This would discourage people to waste time posting ten times
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 06:09:40 PM »

Atrius'd have to answer that.  I'm but a lowly mook now, remember?

View Profile WWW
Tetsuya the Azure Blade
The Shadow Fang
Luna Clan

Kick your @#$, that's what I'm gonna do.

Great Member

Coins: 0

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 07:15:41 PM »

So we're on the lookout for a dood who spells words wrong all the time? Got it! This is kinda funny, a hacking community being hacked. Irony at it's best ^-^

Why is someone hacking Goldensun fansites? It's a bit weird.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 07:38:08 PM »

It's not just that, though.  If it were just bad grammar, then that'd be too broad.  It's a certain... er, style of bad grammar. BUT, more importantly, it's the context of their posts.  If you see someone make a post like the one in the trap, REPORT THE CRAP OUT OF IT, and warn people not to fall for it.

View Profile WWW
RTGreece21
Ruehl, son of Disgaea
Venus Clan

I see the glass half empty even when it's full.

I am: lazy and loving my cat books.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 10:16:21 PM »

This is the first time I've ever heard of a hacking community being hacked. It would be funny, but I kind of care about this community already.  I can't be of too much help in catching them or keeping them at bay, but I do have two friends that can hack people's PCs. If anything happens to put this site at risk, I could probably ask them for help. They might think it's fun. (That and they approve of me finally getting around to hacking games...).

I'm pissed off that they would use the anonymous thing on their posts though. Obviously someone with too much time on their hands... anonymous isn't meant to target little communities, let alone ones that hack. It's mostly just a meme too, but there's a code and whatnot to follow, and that guy broke it.
Makes me wonder of the guy is a 4channer.
...Though at least it would have been slightly more amusing if it used l33t.

"Optimistic about Pessimism."
"Want to see my good side? Hah heh heh... That was a trick question. All I have are good sides."[/color]
View Profile WWW
i_am_isaac
Level 99 huh..??
Venus Clan

huh..??

Novice Member

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 07:22:08 AM »

Huh...?? a computer hacker? Just don't look at me I am maybe a bad english speaker
but it is impossible that I am a hacker and besides about 70% of Filipinos don't know how to use
proper english grammar.

Thanks for the info about the hacker

I'll just jack in my net navi,Megaman.EXE to the net to look for the hacker :)

Tsk... college life is nice...
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 09:21:48 AM »

Huh...?? a computer hacker? Just don't look at me I am maybe a bad english speaker
but it is impossible that I am a hacker and besides about 70% of Filipinos don't know how to use
proper english grammar.

Thanks for the info about the hacker

I'll just jack in my net navi,Megaman.EXE to the net to look for the hacker :)
Hey, don't worry, your grammar is much better than the person in question.  Furthermore, you haven't made any topics aimed at stirring up commotion.  So long you've not done something to stir up trouble, you don't have to worry about being suspected.

Also:  Pffft.  Everyone knows that Blues/Protoman.exe is better. XD

View Profile WWW
Claros Flamestrike
Of the Vibrant Life
Mars Clan

Living vibrantly since 1989.™

I am: cringing so hard, I think my face is stuck like this forever. Thanks, 2011 version of me! >_< lmao

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 04:55:50 PM »

Okay.  I admit it.  It was me.

.  .  .

Yeah, if only it were that simple...

ANYWAY...  That's just wrong.  I mean, I've had my computer hacked twice before, (that damned April Fools thing from last year), but when it gets to a personal level like this...?  I mean, it's one thing to send out a virus ridden file for a game, a movie, or other commonly downloaded thing, but when you make a WEBSITE that's virus ridden, and THEN exclusively posting links to it on sites for a specific crowd, you've crossed another line.

By the way, Role.  I have an idea that might make it to where we don't unconsciously assist said hacker...

You just posted about ALL their tendencies.  Well, if they decide to come here, wouldn't they see that eventually and change their "style?"  What I think is that maybe Atrius, (or whoever the moderator is here now), should send a form e-mail to every member here so that they can get the news without publicly posting, which might allow the hacker to get the jump on more people.  And, since ToK and the other sites have already encountered the jackass, (pardon), they could leave them out if/when they do the same thing.  The reason why I ask this, (besides the obvious), is that people might not see the threads that you and others have posted about this issue.  I, for one, didn't see it for a good 3 days after it was posted!

Just a suggestion...

Well, regardless, thanks for the info.  I'll keep my eyes open for anything related...
View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 09:28:21 PM »

Well, if our Admin would actually get on and put this where it's supposed to be, or maybe if my power wasn't taken from me to begin with, this could have been put in an area where people could see it.

If they come and people fall for it because they didn't see this, don't blame me, I'm not the one with power. [/stab]

View Profile WWW
MaxiPower
Feed Me Coins!!
Venus Clan

Great Member

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 11:41:23 PM »

Well, if our Admin would actually get on and put this where it's supposed to be, or maybe if my power wasn't taken from me to begin with, this could have been put in an area where people could see it.

If they come and people fall for it because they didn't see this, don't blame me, I'm not the one with power. [/stab]

If I get hacked or a virus, the only person I blame is myself for being stupid enough to click links from folks I dont know or if it comes down to someone impersonating someone else, there new posting habbits should be quite clear..... I dont store personal data and all my files are backed up so if i get any problems.... Reformat and i have a clean system.

I never look at the news topics anyway (and im not the only one), If theres anything important its usually discussed in the chatbox and thus people will see and heed the warnings, if not then again its up to them to make judgments.

Few days away without even signing on, rare for him lol, Lets hope hes just busy
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:50:37 PM by MaxiPower » Logged
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 02:49:57 AM »

If I get hacked or a virus, the only person I blame is myself for being stupid enough to click links from folks I dont know or if it comes down to someone impersonating someone else, there new posting habbits should be quite clear..... I dont store personal data and all my files are backed up so if i get any problems.... Reformat and i have a clean system.

I never look at the news topics anyway (and im not the only one), If theres anything important its usually discussed in the chatbox and thus people will see and heed the warnings, if not then again its up to them to make judgments.

Few days away without even signing on, rare for him lol, Lets hope hes just busy
Wow, you're naive.  You think that's all they'll do... just hack in for the lulz.  Here's a hint:  Most hackers DON'T.

View Profile WWW
Charon
On Probation
Veteran Member

Coins: 11

Emblems: GBA Music Expert
Clan Position: Trickster Goddess of Luna

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 10:56:38 PM »

Perhaps instead of panicking we could request the user's IP and block it...
View Profile
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 10:49:52 PM
roger: I can post but it goes to an error page when I submit.
Yesterday at 05:24:12 PM
zman9000: Site is back WOO!
May 09, 2018, 12:35:37 AM
KyleRunner: The "Start In" field is not editable... I'll try making new shortcuts
May 08, 2018, 09:51:08 PM
Fox: If all else fails, you canmake new Shortcuts to do the same thing.
May 08, 2018, 09:49:53 PM
Fox: Export Properties > Shortcut (Tab) > Target / Start In ; Target (for Export) should be: (filename) 0 , and for Import: (filename) 1
May 08, 2018, 08:52:00 PM
KyleRunner: I can't change the path in properties menu...
May 08, 2018, 01:27:19 AM
Fox: You may need to edit something in properties, though... so it uses the exe file in the same directory.
May 08, 2018, 01:24:59 AM
Fox: It is suppose to be a shortcut, yes.
May 03, 2018, 11:48:05 PM
KyleRunner: Fox, the "export" function in your text editor is just a shortcut... Could you please fix it?
May 02, 2018, 09:53:45 PM
KyleRunner: I come here everyday. I'm working on a Portuguese translation, and the people here help me a lot.
May 02, 2018, 08:56:07 AM
Drake baku: My feel as well, I posted a little as well since my return, but silence was all that followed... At least the forum is a great source for data when hacking GS/ GS2, currently looking for something I have read a long time ago cause my PP recovery psy is not working
May 01, 2018, 09:58:04 AM
Fox: I am thinking a lot of this might be because of Discord?
May 01, 2018, 09:56:08 AM
Fox: Yeah, this forum is more dead than ever before.  February and April have 0 new topics. (All other months prior have more.) And March has lowest number of new posts. (It'd be dumb to count the very first month this site was created.)
April 25, 2018, 09:02:13 PM
Fox: Yes. The best tool is a hex editor. Well.... VBA, VBA-SDL-H, no$gba Debugger, GBATEK, and my documentation.... to use these to learn how the code/data works. Best method because it maximizes your editing ability... and then there is my program gsmagic that I was working on. Still in its early stages, though. (Even after year(s).)
April 25, 2018, 04:21:58 PM
Xendrox D: *exept tla editor.
April 25, 2018, 04:21:29 PM
Xendrox D: is there any other tool for hacking gs?
April 23, 2018, 09:26:27 PM
Atrius: Rarely, but not never.
April 23, 2018, 08:01:48 AM
Drake baku: Can it be, the god who created the editor, atrius. I heard you never came back online here anymore
April 20, 2018, 02:46:36 PM
KyleRunner: Atrius!!
April 19, 2018, 11:29:46 PM
Atrius: @Fox, I tried, but for some reason Mario Golf won't boot, and Mario Tennis crashes when you patch out the text compression, and I'm not sure why...  The normal text loading functions in them are basically the same as the ones in the Golden Sun games.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise