News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Dark Dawn Spoiler Policy

Started by Atrius, 28, October, 2010, 04:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

Happy Japanese Dark Dawn release date day everybody!  *pulls out the almighty ban hammer, and drops it on a desk in front of everybody*  Now that the game has officially been released I'd like to remind everyone of the usage of [spoiler] tags on these forums, as well as general courtesies when it comes to spoilers.

Spoiler etiquette/rules

- All spoilers should be placed inside of spoiler tags
- DO NOT PUT SPOILERS IN TOPIC TITLES!!!
- If you're creating a topic for discussing something that is a spoiler, warn people by adding "*Spoilers*" or something similar to the beginning of the topic title
- DO NOT PUT SPOILERS IN TOPIC TITLES!!!!!
- Don't talk around spoilers outside of spoiler tags, Example: "Wasn't it cool when that guy did that thing to that other guy who turned out to really be a you-know-what?"
- When in doubt, spoiler tag it

How to use spoiler tags

- [spoiler=reason]Content[/spoiler]

This is the basic form of the spoiler tag note that setting a reason is optional, and the reason itself should never actually be a spoiler.  Let's look at an example:

[spoiler=chapter 8 of wizardyguy's Harry Potter fanfic]Zombie Dumbledorf kills Harry Potter's distant cousin's room mate's ex-girlfriend's uncle.[/spoiler]

which gives us this:

[spoiler=chapter 8 of wizardyguy's Harry Potter fanfic]Zombie Dumbledorf kills Harry Potter's distant cousin's room mate's ex-girlfriend's uncle.[/spoiler]

When to use spoiler tags

So what would qualify as a spoiler?  Well, this topic is kind of fuzzy different people have different ideas of what constitutes a spoiler, but as a general rule think major plot points, places, people, or special items/abilities that might have been a bit surprising/unexpected when they're revealed, and might ruin that feeling of surprise for someone else if they learn about it too early.  If in doubt you should treat anything that hasn't already been revealed about the game in the previews as a spoiler!  It's much better to err on the side of caution, and mark something that isn't a spoiler as one, than to not mark something that is.

I will be enforcing the use of spoiler tags, as well as keeping spoilers out of topic titles.  Most infractions will just result in a verbal warning, but if I see multiple continuous infractions from the same person it may result in a temporary ban.  This will be effective for spoilers relating to Dark Dawn until further notice, it will be at least several months after the release of the game before this policy is no longer in effect.

Does anyone else have anything to add to this?
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Atrius (He/Him)

[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]