News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Golden Sun: The Lost Age Editor V0.4 Released

Started by Atrius, 30, June, 2011, 08:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kain

Zman, don't provoke people needlessly and spam at the end of your sentence.

Role, that language is uncalled for, as is the attitude.

If I have to say anything again, another warning will be issued.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Salanewt

As much as we would all love to have an update on the editor, you can't really go up to your employers and say "hi, I'm taking the day off of work today to work on a program for some obscure forum that I run" to them. I'm sure that Atrius will come around sometime soon and give us a minor update or something, if he hasn't already seen this topic yet that is. At least we even have an editor, we could have been forced to rely on hex editors for the bulk of our editing needs.

Besides, you don't actually need to use one to make a hack - a bit of research in the right places could prove quite beneficial to said hack's development. It would be pretty unrealistic to rely on the editor for 100% of a hack's development. It helps a lot as it is, and it comes with so much as well - items, abilities, enemies, PC stuff, text, object/NPC editing, viewing capabilities for so much more, etc. Heck, it does more than several other editors that I have seen. I guess we should just wait patiently for Atrius to come around and say something or other, and then we will all be happy... Right?
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Quote from: Salanewt on 24, February, 2012, 12:56:38 PM
As much as we would all love to have an update on the editor, you can't really go up to your employers and say "hi, I'm taking the day off of work today to work on a program for some obscure forum that I run" to them. I'm sure that Atrius will come around sometime soon and give us a minor update or something, if he hasn't already seen this topic yet that is. At least we even have an editor, we could have been forced to rely on hex editors for the bulk of our editing needs.

Besides, you don't actually need to use one to make a hack - a bit of research in the right places could prove quite beneficial to said hack's development. It would be pretty unrealistic to rely on the editor for 100% of a hack's development. It helps a lot as it is, and it comes with so much as well - items, abilities, enemies, PC stuff, text, object/NPC editing, viewing capabilities for so much more, etc. Heck, it does more than several other editors that I have seen. I guess we should just wait patiently for Atrius to come around and say something or other, and then we will all be happy... Right?
That only excuses 1 month delays.  He promised us smaller, more frequent updates, remember?

One thing at a time, that's all we need, not huge updates.  Hell, when we found out about the 10x multiplier thing, he could have taken it on and added that functionality to fix it.  It doesn't take 8 months to do something like that, no matter what your excuse.

This all boils down to this:  I'm sick and tired of planning.  I want to start testing.  To have visible results, not just editing freaking stats.  So I can change what people say and make the game harder/easier/stupidly strange, but big freaking deal.  It's still very clearly TLA, isn't it?  I can't tweak formulas, I can't import images, I'm even limited as to what I can do with the stats themselves.  Hell, the last update was barely even a thing!  I don't mind small updates so long as they're frequent, but this is... it's just...

For as much as I would love to do with the editor, it's an exercise in frustration just waiting and depending on a single person.

Rockisftw

@Zman, if you're having such a sh*t day, then don't POST. I've had bad days, posted/pmed what I normally wouldn't but still got my point across. Yours just seems like rage.

@Role, I haven't been here since 0.2 -> 0.3.. nor the part where he promised frequent updates (or maybe I wasn't looking at the forums.. its a more recent thing) but, they have a point when it comes down to releasing an update complete, rather then in pieces/very buggy. Off the top of my head, I'll guess on sprite swapping.. for example. If he released a buggy version of that, in which it didn't call forth the right images, etc, more people would complain. But, the community could help fix it, so I see your point very well.

@Atrius, Thanks for taking the editor to even v0.4, it would take me too long to even begin thinking of hacking a GBA game without a simplified tool like this.
If one is to gain something, they must take it from someone else.
Such is the end effect of the Law of Equivilent Exchange. In the end, each breath you take is one you are taking from another person.
So, how does that make you feel when someone dies of deprivation?

If white people are white due to living in a climate with moderate sun and snow, and black people are black due to the large amounts of melanin in their skin caused by living under the taxing sun, why are asians [slanty eyed and yellow]?
Veryy intresting once I looked this up, it came up with "due to harsh conditions involving strong sunlight, strong winds [therefore, dust being kicked up]. It makes sense if you think about it, but thats the reason? Haha, trolololol.

Atrius (He/Him)

The frustration is understandable, it's all fair criticism.

Hmm... I've been thinking about this for a long time now, and I think I've finally made the decision.  It'll take me time to prepare a proper response, but it's coming, I'll try to have it up by the end of tomorrow.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Yeah, I've been here since 0.1, so I've got a lot of time invested into this site.  I have a right to be frustrated.

@Atrius:  I hope you get a team together, to be honest.  Sala and Jamie seem to know what they're doing at least, so I suggest looking at them for team members.

Aile~♥

Me? I don't code. At all. Well, I know a little bit of Visual Basic, but...

Anyway, I'd suggest getting Salanewt, Teawater, and Kide together as a team for this stuff.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Oh, right... Sorry, I keep confusing you and Teawater after his name change... I don't know why. :/

Aile~♥

Do I really make as little sense as he does? That's harsh.

XD
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Not really.  Like I said, I really don't know why.  Maybe it's because you used to be Venusian, and he kinda replaced you in my mind when he changed his name...

Geez, I confuse a lot of people on this site at times.  KoP and Kingzane at times, Sala and Teawater, you and Teawater... I'm so confused! D:

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteDo I really make as little sense as he does? That's harsh.

XD
Is that an insult?

Well, it almost looks like someone wants me in an editor team! That sounds nice, despite my ability to really do anything without PRO. Thank you very much, DLL file(s)!, and what not. (I'd really prefer not to buy it.)  However, I do have plans to see if I can convert this code to something I actually know more about.  Visual Basic.  This idea is only in the alpha stages, so I have put very little thought into it.

So anyway, just for population interest, who prefers Visual Basic over GML?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)