News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Golden Sun Online?

Started by ThanatosTheDark, 19, August, 2011, 09:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

PVP would probably be arena-only.  Don't want a bunch of being being dicks and PKing people for random reasons.  Right Role?

Right me.  I'd totally do that.

ThanatosTheDark

I don't think that pvp should be arena only.... you should be able to battle someone if that person is on your friend roster.
I am nothing more than a nothingness that never was.

Rolina

Would you like to be my friend?  Yes?  Okay.  Now die.

You forget - it's not a friendslist on the internet anymore - it's a strangerlist.  Hey, random person I just met, be my friend!

Hmm, I can only PK people on my friendslist... and this @#$%&*!# I've never met before wants to be my 'friend'... I'll just show him how 'friendly' I can be!

Salanewt

Maybe if both parties have to agree to a battle before they can have it, and the arena chooses randomly. Otherwise, it wouldn't quite be as fun for some people.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

That's basically what the arena is.  I figure we have several types - Collosso style, Trial Road style, and Pure Combat (a la link battles, but with 4 person teams).  No fun if it's only one type, right?

Durza

Might be difficult to find someone willing to be the pure wish spammer though.
It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.

ThanatosTheDark

There would be a psynergy cool-down time.

Example: Ragnorok-  :VenusStar: psynergy, 5pp, 2 turn cool-down

Of course I made that up, but that's how your move stats would kind of look like.

Rolina

No, cooldown doesn't work for turn based.  That's a horrible idea, especially for a psynergy as weak as ragnarok.

@Pure Wish spam:  You say that like it's a bad thing.  The fact that more people tend to lean towards the damage end of things would be a good thing in this case.  Those whom do have a healer build also have to deal with the rebalanced mechanics as well, so no more crazy-broken restore all you spent on Pure Wish that turn setups.

One thing that I suggest are level limits on gear.  I know, it sounds kinda arbitrary, but it does keep a few things from happening - no problems would show up with oldbies handing newbies crazy gear right at first, and it'd keep gear from being too much of a factor in PVP, where they'll still want to have optimized gear, but they'll still be competing on roughly even ground.

ThanatosTheDark

And how about being able to fight only in your level range?

How would everyone feel if I could try to get this idea to be reality?

Rolina

King, no matter what you try to do, if PVP is active everywhere, then you're going to have problems with people abusing it.

Durza

Another problem could be the Sol Blade, since other elements lack a weapon of that power, with the possible exception of Excalibur for Jupiter. The Herculean Axe might work if it had a multiplier.
It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.

Rolina

Or here's an idea - we actually balance the game and have original content.

Herculean Axe does - Olympus Rage is a 200% multiplier with a chance for instant death.  Mars elemental.

Awec

Forgive me for sounding stupid, but... are we now planning to create this?

I like the idea of a GS game with balanced and original content. They packed in as much information as possible, and then forced you to use only a handful of artifacts at endgame.
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Rolina

We're not.  Someone said "hey, wouldn't it be cool if..."

Then I went "Sure, and here's what I'd expect out of it - this is how it'd probably have to be if it were to work at all"

As for making it... hell no.  I have enough to deal with as is.

Durza

Quote from: Role on 31, August, 2011, 01:13:35 PM
Herculean Axe does - Olympus Rage is a 200% multiplier with a chance for instant death.  Mars elemental.

It never seemed all that strong. Then again, removing all multipliers would probably be more balanced.

zman9000

The more I think about it the more i want it, sadly if some were to make a Golden sun online, they would mostlikely use GSDD as the base and make a 3D ish game. And that being said, you would mostlikely be over powerd...
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Hoopa

Hm... Golden Sun Online... That would be pretty cool. Turn-based right? Interesting to see how that'd turn out. Though just using default pc sprites wouldn't do. There'd have to be some customization at least.

"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Golden Sun Online? I'd like to see someone actually make it.

ThanatosTheDark

If I knew how, I would have been made it.

Rolina

Quote from: Hoopa on 03, September, 2011, 09:35:32 PM
Hm... Golden Sun Online... That would be pretty cool. Turn-based right? Interesting to see how that'd turn out. Though just using default pc sprites wouldn't do. There'd have to be some customization at least.
Aye, pretty much what I mentioned earlier.

I don't think we should do it 3D, though, should we ever decide we want to.  IMO, sprites might be an easier method of doing it.  We definitely cannot use the editor to do this, either.  I also would recommend against adding a separate stat for base damage.  While I hate to say it, keeping it familiar is probably more important.  We'll probably be better off just tweaking it so that it uses a type of formula we'd want to use with the editor, and adding a new damage type to make mages more viable, especially at higher levels, such as the suggested Spell Type damage from earlier.

Most importantly would be to not go overboard with abilities and equipment, though.  Nothing too powerful.  There will be no real best gear in the game, due to balance reasons.  And no, I do not personally subscribe to the theory of "If everyone is brokenly strong, it's balanced then too".  That just becomes a matter of "who can hit the A button first" battles in many games that have that.  It's also led to silly things such as "Double Team should be Banned" and "Okay, we don't want to oneshot each other, so let's try not to use the Gate Magic/Gater program advance, okay?  Guaranteed 1-shotting without chance for missing, dodging blocking, etc is just boring."  We'll want to encourage not only a variety of things, but probably an importance on making a balanced team too.