News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

"Forgotten Dreams" first images

Started by Atrius, 01, April, 2013, 09:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteThat is all.
Ah. Due to the lack of a real introduction, I'll just assume this is an Aprils Joke based on randomness. The Random Screens do, however, give an idea on what your next editor could look like in one way, I suppose.

P.S. I wonder what FD means? (FD001.jpg, FD002.jpg ; Probably short for Fools Day.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Crystal Sonata

This actually sorta reminds me of Game Maker. Google it, it's made by Enterbrain.
Anything I post here is solely my opinion, and is not proven fact, unless I specify otherwise.

If I say anything that offends you, grow a set.

MaxiPower

I don't know whether to shed a tear of joy.... or "looks at date" a tear of pain and suffering...

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Teawater on 01, April, 2013, 01:10:32 PM
P.S. I wonder what FD means? (FD001.jpg, FD002.jpg ; Probably short for Fools Day.

Close.  "Forgotten Dreams"
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Oh, okay then. Somehow, that seems strangely convenient. Imagine: Atrius's Forgotten Dreams! / April Fools Day!

Just to make sure, but will this also work on a PC using a Windows operating system?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Kioll

Strangely convenient?  Not really.  He's mentioned "Forgotten Dreams" before when he said he wanted to make his own game.  As for the comment about it looking strangely like Game Maker, that's probably because it is.  If memory serves, the Editor is made in Game Maker.  The art's neat.  Looks a bit GS-styled, but it's neat.  I certainly hope this game hits other operating systems than Android.
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

Aile~♥

Quote from: Takumi on 01, April, 2013, 01:13:21 PM
This actually sorta reminds me of Game Maker. Google it, it's made by Enterbrain.

LOL no, it's not. Enterbrain makes the RPG Maker series. Game Maker is by YoYo Games. And Atrius would know because he already used it for development of the Editor.

Though Atrius, if this isn't an April Fool's Day joke, you should be more careful with your timing in the future.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Quote from: Kioll on 02, April, 2013, 12:23:19 AM
Strangely convenient?  Not really.  He's mentioned "Forgotten Dreams" before when he said he wanted to make his own game.  As for the comment about it looking strangely like Game Maker, that's probably because it is.  If memory serves, the Editor is made in Game Maker.  The art's neat.  Looks a bit GS-styled, but it's neat.  I certainly hope this game hits other operating systems than Android.
I know he mentioned it, but I was referring to the acronym being "strangely convenient.", since I didn't notice it before. (So now I have another reason to like the title: "Forgotten Dreams")

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Atrius (He/Him)

April Fools!

They're real!

Wait, am I doing it wrong? ...  Anyway, before saying anything I would like to remind you the project is still VERY early in development so everything is subject to change.  "Forgotten Dreams" is being programmed in Java, and is designed to be fairly portable.  I am looking into releasing on Android and PC eventually.

Those are the first screenshots of the editor, the map displayed was created entirely using it on the phone.  The editor is integrated into the game's engine, going from editing a map to playing it is pretty much like closing a menu.

The art style is still somewhat WIP, I have yet to come up with any sprites I'm happy with.  Yes it will be GS inspired, but I don't want it to look exactly the same.  One of my main concerns is making the tilesets easy for users to create their own maps, and have them look good.  I hate the "grid" effect that it seems impossible to avoid with most RPG making programs, and the tilesets they come with.

Tune in next April Fools when I announce the game isn't going to use text boxes for speech!

Oh good. PC!  Thanks for the details.  And Java means Mac users should have no problem using it.

As for the grid effect, that seems understandable, I imagine one could have a border around the corners of the tile being selected for editing... (Even if the border doesn't totally surround the edges.) Or just simply highlight the entire tile.

And for the art style... hmm... Not sure what to say, unless you wanted to look at the rest of the games Camelot made. (Or even better, google the person who made the sprites if they are shown in the credits... as you never know who might work at multiple companies (But not necessarily both companies at the same time.))

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

So I guess the April Fools was that it wasn't an April Fools?

You can give users options (in the tilesets) to avoid blocky maps, but that's really all you can do. I think Golden Sun averts the grid feeling pretty nicely just by having unrestricted 8-directional movement. Different elevation levels and the maps being overall well designed plays a big part too, of course.

Atrius (He/Him)

*moves & renames topic*

Teawater, this is what I mean by "the grid" the transitions from grass to sand and sand to water are so blocky the tiles are obvious.  I'm trying to design my tilesets in a way that the tiles aren't as obvious in game.  If you look at the dirt areas in my images they appear more natural, and it's hard to break it apart into individual tiles.

Yeah, I realized I misread after reading Misery's post around the time he posted (And I guess I never did correct myself, oh well.), but thanks for that little tidbit.

Anyway, let me guess? You are using two layers to perform the overlapping trick? The second image doesn't seem to show the dirt paths tileset, so...

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

I think it's more likely he's simply making transition tiles, using two layers just for the ground seems like a bit of a waste.

Yes, that is probably the most likely bet. However having two layers could allow one to have the same dirt path on different ground types. (And the tiles that are 100% dirt could still go on the same layer as the rest of the ground.) Since he seems to only be using one type of grass tile, I suppose it wouldn't really be necessary.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Atrius (He/Him)

There are 3 layers, but only one is grass/dirt.  I still haven't finished any tilesets either.

mecurylighthouse

If I may weigh in... the grass looks a little plain you should include alternate grass  (and maybe rocky and sand)tiles of the same style to avoid a too uniform tileset.  that was one of the reasons I loved golden suns graphics I see you've tried with the thicker patches but that  is just my opinion
:Isaac: WHY!!!!!!...
                               :Felix: ...ummmm because

Atrius (He/Him)

*Facepalm*

Serves me right for posting anything before finishing it.

Misery

Well...

Quote from: Atrius on 12, April, 2013, 07:24:18 PM
I still haven't finished any tilesets either.

I would guess Atrius is going to work a bit more on the tilesets.