News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Obtain ALL psynergies in Golden Sun 1

Started by ancientguard, 28, August, 2013, 05:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ancientguard

Hello,
one of the best gameshark list I found is this one http://goldensunworld.free.fr/v3/junkies/Golden%20Sun%20Codes%20V2.htm
Unfortunately, it doesn't include all psynergies which can be used in the game, e.g.

• punji, punji trap, punji strike
  • death Plunge
  • thunderclap
  • shuriken
  • annihilation

Are there any clearly represented lists of ALL psynergies for all 32 slots of the 4 characters?
There's such a type of list for "The lost Age". I'm looking for an appropriate list of the 1st Golden Sun game.

Allow me to make an example: I would like to have "Punji Strike" on Mia's Psynergy Slot 29. What can I do?

I would appreciate your help very much.
Many thanks.

Rolina

Don't think there's enough space for that, actually.  You can try using the editor to do it, but I don't think there's enough space, really.

ancientguard

What do you mean by "there's enough space for that"?

Furthermore, AFAIR the editor can just be used to create modified roms which allows e.g. that certain characters can equip certain weapons they normally can't (e.g. Ivan can equip the Gaia Blade) or the properties of the psynergy can be changed (e.g. "Shine Plasma" can be transformed into an earth psynergy. And it's attack strenth can be edited as well).
But I'm pretty wure that with the help of the editor it's not possible (correct me if I'm mistaken :happy:) to make a certain character get a certain psynergy on a certain slot.
I just want to edit psynergies on certain slots in the middle of a savegame (I don't neither want to restart the game nor having an edited rom).
You're talking about the "Golden Sun Lost Age editor" (which works with the first Golden Sun game as well), don't you?

With best regards,
The ancient guard

Misery

She probably thought you wanted to have all the psynergies at the same time.

I'm not sure if anyone here can help you - I for one have no idea how gameshark codes work, and I don't think there's anyone else on the site who does. If you're playing on emulator you could just use codebreaker codes instead since they're A LOT simpler. But I guess you're using a real gameshark, and in that case all you can do is to hope for the best. Perhaps contact whoever did the codes for GS:TLA, or the one who did the list you're currently using.

Aile~♥

He does want to have all Psynergies at the same time, using a code.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Which is impossible, of course.  Just looking into the data will show that there's just plain not enough slots for it, nor do I think there's enough for a representative from each family.  The editor isn't some magic tool - it has to work within the confines of the code.  There's no way to expand ability slots allotted to a class.  That's why I told him to download and use the editor himself to see what all it can do.

Aile~♥

No, but a code might be able to do it. The characters have more Psynergy slots than just the class ones, evidently. Seeing as how there's also Innates, and item-bestowed Psynergy.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Misery

Quote from: ancientguard on 28, August, 2013, 05:54:11 PM
Are there any clearly represented lists of ALL psynergies for all 32 slots of the 4 characters?
There's such a type of list for "The lost Age". I'm looking for an appropriate list of the 1st Golden Sun game.

Allow me to make an example: I would like to have "Punji Strike" on Mia's Psynergy Slot 29. What can I do?
I interpret this as him wanting codes to have any psynergy in any of the 32 slots for any of the 4 characters. Nowhere do I see any mention that all of them must be known at the same time. The list he linked has psynergy codes for all slots on all characters, but it's missing several psynergies, it doesn't even have all psynergies that are normally attainable by changing classes. I believe those are what he's after.

Rolina

...Then... with all due respect... why is he asking us?  We're not exactly a Gameshark site...

ancientguard

Quote from: Misery on 06, September, 2013, 04:25:43 PM
Quote from: ancientguard on 28, August, 2013, 05:54:11 PM

I interpret this as him wanting codes to have any psynergy in any of the 32 slots for any of the 4 characters. Nowhere do I see any mention that all of them must be known at the same time. The list he linked has psynergy codes for all slots on all characters, but it's missing several psynergies, it doesn't even have all psynergies that are normally attainable by changing classes. I believe those are what he's after.

You've got it! :happy: :happy: :happy:
This is excatly what I was requesting.

The list just includes standard psynergies (such as Earthquake, Spark Plasma, Freeze Prism, Growth, etc.).
But the special ones like those I mentioned in my 1st post are missing. And I'm searching for a list which includes even these psynergies.

ancientguard

Quote from: Rolina on 06, September, 2013, 04:48:49 PM
...Then... with all due respect... why is he asking us?  We're not exactly a Gameshark site...

OK, which website do you suggest in reference to my concern?

Actually, the first website I posted a thread (describing the same problem) was GoldenSunRealm and there I was told to get in touch with the GS hacking community.

Rolina

Well there's your problem.  GSR is where most of the trolls in the fandom hang.

Misery

Quote from: Rolina on 06, September, 2013, 04:48:49 PM
QuoteWell there's your problem.  GSR is where most of the trolls in the fandom hang.
Technically, using a cheat code device to manipulate the game's memory is hacking. That advice may well have been honest.

However, as I said earlier I'm fairly certain we don't have anyone who knows how to make gameshark codes around here. I could be wrong about this, but we don't have a lot of active members in the first place. Good luck is all I can say.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Is GameShark really necessary? I prefer not to mess with it because it uses encryption. And it's a lot easier just to alter data in memory itself.

QuoteAllow me to make an example: I would like to have "Punji Strike" on Mia's Psynergy Slot 29. What can I do?
Hmm... That question doesn't ask about the GameShark way, so here goes:  If you know about VisualBoyAdvance, you can go to Tools=>Memory viewer, and navigate to Mia's RAM data by putting 020008E4 in the textbox and pressing Go.

Using Atrius's Editor, go to the Abilities section and search for Punji Strike. Take the number you see, convert to hex, and put it the green box indicated in the attached image. (Ex: Quake would be 00000003)

QuoteHowever, as I said earlier I'm fairly certain we don't have anyone who knows how to make gameshark codes around here. I could be wrong about this, but we don't have a lot of active members in the first place. Good luck is all I can say.
Although, GBATEK has that information, so I could figure it out if I wanted to. I just perfer to stay away from it because I think it is a huge waste of time/boring.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

Quote from: Teawater on 06, September, 2013, 06:01:48 PM
QuoteHowever, as I said earlier I'm fairly certain we don't have anyone who knows how to make gameshark codes around here. I could be wrong about this, but we don't have a lot of active members in the first place. Good luck is all I can say.
Although, GBATEK has that information, so I could figure it out if I wanted to. I just perfer to stay away from it because I think it is a huge waste of time/boring.
Of course you could. I could as well, it's not like creating gameshark codes is some secret art. It's just, as you say, a waste of time, largely because of the encryption.

I strongly suspect the topic creator is using a physical game cartridge rather than playing on emulator, and thus doesn't have access to any tools that allow him to manipulate memory directly.

ancientguard

QuoteAllow me to make an example: I would like to have "Punji Strike" on Mia's Psynergy Slot 29. What can I do?
QuoteHmm... That question doesn't ask about the GameShark way, so here goes:  If you know about VisualBoyAdvance, you can go to Tools=>Memory viewer, and navigate to Mia's RAM data by putting 020008E4 in the textbox and pressing Go.

Using Atrius's Editor, go to the Abilities section and search for Punji Strike. Take the number you see, convert to hex, and put it the green box indicated in the attached image. (Ex: Quake would be 00000003)

Many many thanks. It worked :-)
With your help now I can generate arbitrary psynergies on every slot of each character. (Here's the rest of the required codes: http://s3.zetaboards.com/Lighthouse_of_Yoshi/topic/670135/1/). Thanks a million, dear Teawater.

Furthermore, the method you described is even much faster than using gamesharks.

[spoiler]See? Isaac, being a Lord (which means that he has all 7 Venus Djinns), has the Punji attacks and Annihilation etc.
Normally, these are only accessible in the classes Ninja and Samurai.

[/spoiler]

Quote from: Misery on 07, September, 2013, 08:20:30 AMOf course you could. I could as well, it's not like creating gameshark codes is some secret art. It's just, as you say, a waste of time, largely because of the encryption.
Although, if you were to use, like say, a special program, one could encrypt/decrypt. For example, there's a program called ARCrypt or something. I believe it was for Action Replay, though. (I forget if it includes GameShark? Probably not.)

QuoteI strongly suspect the topic creator is using a physical game cartridge rather than playing on emulator, and thus doesn't have access to any tools that allow him to manipulate memory directly.
Not sure, he never really said. He did say "I just want to edit psynergies on certain slots in the middle of a savegame (I don't neither want to restart the game nor having an edited rom).", and didn't have problems using the Editor (which shows he actually had a ROM), which ofcourse, didn't have the feature he needed. I should have probably redirected him to the Golden Sun Save Game Editor as well...

Posted by powered_by_tux:
http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=823.0
http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=16

Posted by Gamer2020:
http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2006
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

Quote from: Misery on 06, September, 2013, 03:01:24 PM
I'm not sure if anyone here can help you - I for one have no idea how gameshark codes work, and I don't think there's anyone else on the site who does. If you're playing on emulator you could just use codebreaker codes instead since they're A LOT simpler. But I guess you're using a real gameshark, and in that case all you can do is to hope for the best. Perhaps contact whoever did the codes for GS:TLA, or the one who did the list you're currently using.
Why on Weyard would anyone ask for Gameshark codes when they have other options?

Edit for clarity: I know this is exactly what happened, and I have a hard time understanding why.

It's because they don't know they have other options? Or they don't know how the other options work?

I'm not sure he specifically asked for gameshark directly? The first post simply shows that he found a list with gameshark codes.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

Indeed. I guess I'm just annoyed that the conversation had to go on, when I could've given the TC a straight answer if he had just read/replied to my first post.