News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Intro

Started by Wolf, 18, November, 2013, 08:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Okay, so it's more like Rolina speaking a "different language"... Besides that, (and Rolina losing a position.) ... I'm still sort of left in the dark, but okay...

@"hacking story": Good point... now that seems too vague to understand. I guess I'll just ignore it until then.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Wolf

Wha...!?  No, that was a facepalm of pity for the people who fell for the bait in the story.  (I was pressed for time and words weren't enough to express the pity. :P)

Aye, politics was referring to talk among the moderators, group leaders, or administrators.  Beyond the notice on the website all of Rolina's conversations regarding the incident disappeared including her comments on Skype or so I've been told.  She hasn't logged on the GSAR website since then.  The only other thing to mention is that some of the information lost on her computer was used for a signature project going on here and there.  [Edit: She has also been busy with Digimon fan stuff.]

As for Golden Sun related hacking and modding, I would need to check my resources to see what would be feasible.

Heheh. They got permission to use the photos for Emily Williams, as well as Executive approval to do all that hacking stuff ... I think for the purpose of showing the effect of Social Media, so yeah. My theory is that guys are sub-consciously attracted to women, and that's probably what happened. People might be more cautious about guy characters.

Oh, still though, nobody has told me what was being disagreed on. Also, what notice?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

Oh, I guess you were commenting on Teawater's link... which was on the previous page, and I had already forgotten about it. orz
In any case, if you ever wonder what you can feasably do in terms of GS hacking, ask here on the site and we will answer.

Teawater... I'll make an attempt to tell you the full story someday. The disagreements were about the site's policies, I guess. Or perhaps I should say tendencies.

The notice I'm assuming Wolf is talking about is the notice that Role/Rolina was removed from her position as head of the Jovian Empire, aka the Jupiter Clan.

So it is as I thought: Related to my link. (Although, I had the wrong reasons.)

The site's rules? Thank you for the explanation, that cleared up some of the dust from my mind, as I know it is common for sites to have atleast one pitiful/thoughtless rule. :) And yeah, perhaps I'll make an attempt at waiting for the full story someday as well.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Knight of Purgatory

Annnnnnnnnnndd... this intro topic is flooded, but hey, it's something.
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

Jiten

Quote from: Misery on 26, November, 2013, 08:21:53 PM
Teawater... I'll make an attempt to tell you the full story someday. The disagreements were about the site's policies, I guess. Or perhaps I should say tendencies.

Tell me as well. : P

Thunder-squall

Still not sure what "social hacking" is.  The links just left me confused.  I get that it really has nothing to do with the GSHC, but sort of on topic:  Have you guys ever done coding jams? Or hacking jams, as the case would be?  Where you all get together in a real or virtual space, and do some coding/hacking with company around?  I bet that'd increase your own hacking output, provide social pressure among the community to hack, and also facilitate learning and problem solving, since you'd have each other right there to ask simple questions too, or to get help from when you're stuck.

Quote from: Teawater on 22, November, 2013, 05:13:53 PM
Yeah, this site was more active back in the days Salanewt, Charon, and Role/Rolina were actively on.... But now, none of those three seem to visit anymore? (If at all.)

-It has been stated that Charon does not ever want to return to her account. (I think she changed her password?)
-Salanewt left permanantly as well. (He changed his password as well.)
-Rolina ... (Some stuff happened (offsite, I think) that pretty much killed her enthusiasm for most things GS-related.)

Woah, that sounds like a lot of epic drama.  Who were these guys and what happened to them?  Did they have to change their passwords because you social-hacked them?..  How the heck would you know if they changed their passwords anyway?  You don't know my password do you?  Because that would be kind of embarrassing...

By my definition, I believe it's when you steal or illegally modify someone's private information via social networking. (Or something like that.)

As for virtual space... Naw, Don't think that'd help much because I think I'm the only one who's likely to build the next editor if one ever gets done. While everyone else might be too lazy or not have much idea what they are doing. Either way, if it is about finding and learning what data does, I usually recommend knowing the coding language being used in a ROM, anyway.

Those guys were active members. Did you check the forum statistics? They all have more posts than me, even though I've been the most active lately. And no, I didn't hack them. I know they changed their password because they said so themselves. I believe they changed their passwords to something they wouldn't know in an effort to keep themselves out of their account.

If those accounts do pop back up, it will likely be that they stored the new password in a document, or got help from Atrius. I'm willing to bet that Atrius, the owner of his domain, might have access to your password(?), but no one else on this forum should, if I had to make a guess?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Teawater on 02, January, 2014, 12:06:06 AMI believe they changed their passwords to something they wouldn't know in an effort to keep themselves out of their account.
Woah. Sounds like the stuff of legends.  What happened?

I don't think any of them posted in this thread, so I didn't have a chance to look at the numbers under their user names.

There are some topics on the first page of the News and Announcements forum around April Fools 2012 where Charon got mad at Role/Rolina, I think... and eventually Atrius didn't like her attitude causing him to demote her to Probation. (My guess is temporarily.) If you didn't know, Charon used to be the second admin here. Shortly there-after, we never heard from her here again. Though, I'm sure you can find Salanewt, Charon, and Role on Skype, but I don't have any of them on my Skype. (I added Salanewt one time, but then he took me off because I wasn't on for a long time--I'm figuring people cleaning up their friend lists to keep only active people is more common than you think..) You might can find them on Youtube under different usernames as well.

I'm assuming you are not familiar with how SMF forums work, so here's where you can find the Forum Statistics:  (See attachment.)

Charon's last posts: http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?action=profile;u=35;sa=showPosts
Salanewt's last posts: http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?action=profile;u=3;sa=showPosts (He doesn't say anything about permanently leaving, but I think someone else does if you browse those topics.)
And no point in linking to Rolina's last posts, because I don't think she posted anything notable...

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

Thanks.  I just want to know the story of this place, and places like this (I'm probably not going to go looking for them on skype).  I assume all three were heavily invested, and then to suddenly split?  Seems like a story worth knowing, if only anecdotally.  Charon isn't linked to the third person on you Yoshi site, is he?  I imagine not, but the names are slightly similar, so I figured I'd ask.

edit.  Oops.  I meant "she."

Something like that, although... I'd say there's something special about each of them, I guess...

Charon, when she was admin, did Site Activities. (Like April Fools)... and Badges, etc.
Charon once registered on YL near its beginning, but she never was actually active on it.
Role never registered there, as far as I know. (And I don't think she cares for Mario/Yoshi stuff.)
Role, in my opinion, seemed more like a Critic? (Which can be useful to have, in the long run.)
As for Salanewt... He enjoyed hacking ROMs like I do... and usually comes to me for help and stuff.

So out of the people here, I can say that Atrius, me, and Salanewt know GBA assembly, and that Misery is catching on. (Or so it seems, as he was asking about SDL-H the other day.) As for everyone else, I can't say for sure who else knows...

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Teawater on 02, January, 2014, 11:19:13 PM
If you didn't know, Charon used to be the second admin here. Shortly there-after, we never heard from her here again.

Not entirely true, she posted here a little over a week ago.

For the record, the passwords on this site are stored as hashes so I can't see what anyone's is.  I could reset them to something different if requested though.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Kioll

Atrius said it, not me.  I thought about saying it, but I was good!  I'm NOT telling anyone ANYTHING.  Nope.
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

Yeah, she did pop back up as Flash, but she never logged into her "Charon" account since then (as far as I know), so maybe I worded that wrong. (Or forgot to finish wording what I was saying.)

That sounds like useful information, Atrius. That means even if you did get hacked, no one else could view them either.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Wolf

Charon was also a founder of the "clans, coins, the badge shop" and a key member in the infamous April Fools Day incident.  From what I've read she abused her power in a final bout before leaving.  The full story can be found in the forums.

Her return here under the guise of another user caught my attention, even if it was for a single post.  Maybe Charon will make another account assuming she hasn't done so already.

Thunder-squall

lol, yeah, I read through the last two April Fools threads-- Man, knowing what we know now, it's pretty weird to read... I'm sure there's a perfect French word out there that describes it.  I bet you guys aren't doing anything for April Fools next year.

Charon seems to have been a wiz with hacking/modding the forum code, and it seems that was her main form of play/fun on these forums, was, quite literally, playing with the forums.  Lol, it reminds me of a young godling having fun.  Sure, the mortals might think that the massive snow storm was an abuse of powers, but eh, anything for a laugh, right?

But that really bothered some of you guys?  How come?  And I'm asking this seriously. Forums are sort of a weird place with weird political systems, and weird deities (i.e. Charon and other mods/admins).  The world works differently here.  And I guess so would senses of self-dignity.  I'm not invested in this place (i.e. if people messed with me, I could just walk away), but if I were, I can imagine that having someone else change my name and avatar would be a gross violation of my virtual person-hood.  Is that what happened?

Or was Role just trying to bully Charon into being an extension of her informal power, and this idea that " a lot of people were mad at Charon" was basically a myth perpetuated by Role and her unwitting (or intentional?) allies?

as an aside:  I love this story of "gods and mortals," and some arch-magess trying to become a god.  Has anyone else here ever looked at forums as metaphor?

@Wolf: She also appeared as goldensunmaster97 specifically for April 2nd 2011. And she may have also been involved in the usage of Amylolz, along with some other members if I remember correctly. Once, I think she even used Tyrone. I think most of the accounts may have been deleted, but I can also say that there were other "duplicate" accounts made by other users. (Like 4 of them by Overlord Kain back in was it 2011? Probably for April Fools purposes to get each of them in a different clan. - Which ofcourse didn't work in the end.)

@Thunder: Nothing significant happened on April Fools of 2013, so you may very well be right about next year.

Perhaps, but it may also be possible that she used tools to help her with her play. For example, 2012 was about Trolling. sO sHe TyPeD lIkE tHiS tO iMmItAtE a CeRtAiN tRoLl. (terminallyCapricious or whatever) (Well actually, she converted her text to that format. Including changing all the descriptions and stuff on the forum index page.)

She actually did change avatar and names on April Fools. I think in 2011, it was up to us to get ourselves a Slowpoke avatar. (I forget the details.) But on 2012, she gave us Adept Trolls. (They looked like troll versions of the Ivan, Garet, Mia, etc.) as well as changing our names to something silly. Like me to questionableWater. (If I remember correctly.) I think she did me first, but I don't remember... probably over some April Fools play/argument. I don't think Role visted 4/1/2012, though, probably the next day or two. (I forget again.) And then Role was like not wanting to be a part of her April Fools, she probably did have her name changed and wanted her name back. (I forget what name she had, though.) But check the shoutbox way back near that time.

Edit:
QuoteApril 02, 2012, 02:46:37 PM - sadisticMagician - Charon, if you wanna keep doing that, you can, but AFD is over.  I want to return to my SN, to my avatar, and to my skin.
Yeah, that was Role alright...

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Kioll

Personally, I thought that the whole renaming/new picture thing was hilarious.  The problem Role had, I think, was that they were left that way for 3 or 4 days.  She said "It's not April Fools' Day anymore.  Change it back!"

Coincidentally, does anyone know how April 1st came to be known as "April Fools' Day"?
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?