News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Pokémon!

Started by Ninja Steve, 02, January, 2010, 07:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja Steve

I can't possibly be the only one here who still plays this, can I?  :Sweat:

But yeah, Diamond's gonna show up in a few days (I bought it on Amazon).

Also, Blaziken > All
Quoteroses are red
grasses are green
push little cart
and be credit to team

MaxiPower

Quote from: Ninja Steve on 02, January, 2010, 07:42:57 PM
I can't possibly be the only one here who still plays this, can I?  :Sweat:

But yeah, Diamond's gonna show up in a few days (I bought it on Amazon).

Also, Blaziken > All

I dont play them all the time but every so often i get a blood lust for them. that rush will come back when the remakes of the best pokemon games gets released in english, of course Gold and Silver.

btw Ampharos (Denry) > everything else (well to me) only pokemon that i change there name, due to having to play the orignial gold and Silver years ago in japenses lol

Aile~♥

Gallade > everything else except maybe Giratina.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

leaf

Ah... pokemon. The phenomenon that introduced me to the internet 7 years ago... good times. I used to play competitively on netbattle in the 3rd gen, although I quit around 2005 or 2006, came back and quit again a few times, and then had a renewed interest in pokemon again come the release of D/P. After some time, I found I didn't really like the 4th gen metagame, and quit again. I do plan on picking up a copy of SS when it comes out in america, though, which will at worst be a good nostalgia trip and at best respark my interest in the game competitively.

And since we all seem to be mentioning our favorite pokemon... celebi will always be my #1. It became exceedingly rare for me to make a team without it, actually.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Rolina

What my favorite was depended on which generation it was.  Basically, my favorites for the ones introduced in the generation were:

Colors Generation:  Jolteon
Metallic Generation:  Bellossom
Advanced Generation:  The entire Ralts line.
Jewels (current) Generation:  Gallade (Ralts?  Plus Swords?  WIN!)

I don't have an overall favorite, so the favorite new one from each Gen will have to do.

I must say, though... I can't say I approve of people putting legendaries on their favorites list.  I see it as being kind of... cheap.  So I MUST disagree with you on this issue, Leaf.  You will NEVER, EVER, find a legendary on my team.  I get them, then they rot in a box!

What's y'alls teams?  Mine is:

Pandora (Gardevoir ♀)
Prometheus (Gallade ♂)
Atlus (Infernape ♀)
Helios (Scyther ♂)
Tethys (Golduck ♂)
Sirnaq (Wevile ♂)

They're all EV trained and everything... It was particularly tough getting Atlus, though.  Getting both Female, correct nature, AND complimentary IVs?  Uggh...

Cookie if you get the reference behind the naming.

MaxiPower

my team in diamond is usally

Charizard
Fraligator
Ampharos
Golem
Torterra
(cant think of what my last one is, usally varies per playthrough

Aile~♥

Tethys the Dancer, a Golduck? Are you freaking kidding me? That's a freaking INSULT! Next, you'll tell me you made Ephraim some noob Pokemon, like a Pichu or something.

My high-level team:

Umbreon lvl 49 (why? because it can survive a Thunderbolt from a lvl 61 Banette, and lose only about 1/6 of it's HP. And that was when it was level 47...)
Gallade lvl 70
Giratina lvl 80
Lapras lvl 81
Mewtwo lvl 83
Gardevoir lvl 52 (it's holding an EXP share, otherwise I would switch it with something else.)

My low-level team:
Espeon lvl 36
Frosslass lvl 41
Skitty lvl 44
Leafeon lvl 46
Umbreon lvl 47
Gardevoir lvl 52

(soon to have a Castform included, as soon as I can catch one from the Trophy Garden)

leaf

@Role:

What? A person can't have "legendaries" in their favorites list but they can have... oh... say... tyranitar? Or salamence? Or better yet... garchomp or wobbuffet? Despite the first two being blatantly more powerful than a lot of legendaries, the third actually being banworthy as of the third gen, and the fourth eventually being banned in the fourth gen? I assume you'd have said the same thing even if I had listed say... regigigas as my favorite? Compared to a lot of "regular" pokemon, regigigas is actually pretty trash, and despite having the classification of "legendary," or having one of the highest BSTs in the game, it's greatly held back by its ability. Or entei, one of many legendaries that carries a 580 base stat total, but gets overshadowed by numerous "regular" pokemon as a fire type... including all four of the fire starters, but especially infernape, who happens to be one of the best non-ubers in the 4th gen. If it weren't for the way they were encountered, people wouldn't have nearly as big of a "legendary" bias as they do... and just because 95% of the broken pokemon in the game are legendary (and are therefore banned), doesn't make all legendaries broken.

In each gen, the non-broken legendaries:
1: articuno, zapdos, moltres
2: articuno, zapdos, moltres, suicune, raikou, entei, [and later celebi]
3: articuno, zapdos, moltres, suicune, raikou, entei, celebi, regirock, regice, registeel, jirachi
4: articuno, zapdos, moltres, suicune, raikou, entei, celebi, regirock, regice, registeel, jirachi, uxie, mesprit, azelf, heatran, cresselia, shaymin (however, not shaymin's sky form), phione (manaphy is relegated to uber status, however), regigigas, [and later, latias without soul dew was removed from the banlist]

I may have forgotten someone from the fourth gen, but I think that's right. All other legendaries are banned. The only "regular" pokemon to have been banned are wobbuffet in the 3rd and 4th gens (not the 2nd gen, though, since it didn't have a broken ability yet), and garchomp in the 4th. And a few tier placements may have changed since the last time I checked in on the game (after all, smogon was supposed to be re-evaluating some of its more difficult decisions on the banning or allowing of certain key pokemon, such as deoxys speed form or garchomp, pokemon that were just barely banned before; this is actually why latias without soul dew was later allowed into the game, as it was determined to lean more toward the "fair" side of the fence), but if things have changed, this should still give you a good idea of how just because something is a legendary doesn't make it broken. Note that these are not solely my opinions here on what is or isn't broken, but collectively those of the competitive battling community. In my personal opinion, salamence should have been banned shortly after the release of platinum, but last time I checked, that has yet to happen, and probably won't happen anytime soon.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Rolina

Leaf, I have a prejudice against these so-called "legendaries".  Depsite their "legendary" status, EVERYONE has them.  Furthermore, you get stuck with one, and how good or bad that one's stats turn out to be is totally up to luck.  Common, Uncommon, and Rare pokemon, however, you can get multiples of, meaning you can better strategize and prepare your team.  Of course, there's more to it than just that.  This IS a personal prejudice, so there is some irrational thought behind the process

It's nothing personal against you, I just don't like legendaries.  And since it's a personal thing, no amount of arguing can change my mind.  I'm sure you've got certain things you refuse to use or do, just as I do, and no amount of arguing will change your mind on it.  It irritates you when someone else does it, but after all, they're not you, and thus have different standards.

Take me.  I don't like a boring powerplay team, I HAVE to have some kind of theme behind them.  After all, I find a pure focus on strategy, well, boring.  It's a me thing.  Most people in competitive play scoff at this and go pure-strategy, after all.  But me?  Well, I will max out as much strategy as I can while still keeping in the confines of my theme.  Sure, my lead 2, Pandora and Prometheus, are both psychic types, and thus they have significant weaknesses that can be exploited.  Though I don't mind this, many other people who play competition see it as nuts.  Likewise, I see them using legendaries, and roll my eyes, just as they roll theirs at me.

Heck, you rolled your eyes at my dislike of legendaries.  Part of my dislike comes form what I said in the opening of this post.  Another comes from... well, I'm not impressed.  Mewtew was meh-ish to me, and that stigma has stuck with me to every generation.  Hell, look at Giratina!  It's a sorry excuse of a legendary that I REFUSE to even look at because it was lame enough to get caught by a standard pokeball!  If you want the screenshot, I can try and get one to you!  It's disgraceful, a so-called legendary getting caught with the crappy-ball.  Hell, the dood was easy as heck - Throw out a bird, laugh as only slash can touch you (and that's easily cured by a nice supply of potions!).  I mean, come on!  I was training up my timer balls by killing time, and one of those balls I tossed to kill time CATCHES the thing?!

THIS is the kind of thing that makes me hate legendaries.  There's really no logic behind it, other than a personal grudge.  Nothing to get defensive about.  Just a me thing.

By the way, you've not said what your team was.

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 02, January, 2010, 10:43:18 PM
Tethys the Dancer, a Golduck? Are you freaking kidding me? That's a freaking INSULT! Next, you'll tell me you made Ephraim some noob Pokemon, like a Pichu or something.

Congrats, you do NOT get a cookie!

THAT is Tethys.  Can you find a better water and/or ice pokemon to represent them?

Aile~♥

Wasn't Salamence around way before Platinum? Why should it be banned now, when it wasn't before?

Anyway, I forgot to list another few favourites, though I rarely ever use them:

Cherrim lvl 41, knows Sunny Day and Solarbeam.
Lucario lvl 55, holding a Fist Plate.
Shiny Houndoom lvl 41, named Ice Hound (cause it's BLUE!). Unfortunately, I couldn't teach it Ice Beam. :(

Giratina is not fail. Not in Platinum anyway, where it doesn't have Slash. Instead, it's level 47 and so has a different moveset. Normal types are king still though.

Anyway, my Gallade and Gardevoir are themed to a certain extent. Both like to spam ELECTRIC attacks, and I made a deliberate effort to theme them that way. Gardevoir knows Thunderbolt, Gallade knows Thunderpunch.

Just because you got lucky and caught it in a normal failball doesn't mean it isn't hard to catch. You just got lucky. It's catch rate is still 3, just like all the others.

Rolina

Well, I have yet to get that far in the expansion pack.  I do hope it redeems itself in my eyes, but either way, if it gets caught with a crappy normal pokeball again, I will never, EVER,  EVER have respect for the thing.  NO legendary should be caught by one of those.

Pandora uses Psychic, Electric, and Ice attacks for me.
Prometheus uses Fighting, Fire, and Dark attacks for me (and Psycho Cut sometimes).

Fits the theme.

Aile~♥

Dang, too many people named Tethys. Cruds. Ah well.

I still want a Castform.

Insularity

If I remember correctly:

Red:
Victreebel
Golduck
Machamp
Alakazam
Charizard
Golbat

Ruby:
Blaziken
Shedninja
Wailord
Zangoose
Metagross
Alakazam

Diamond:
Torterra
Lucario
Dialga
Garchomp
Alakazam
Bronzong

And in SS I plan on:
Meganium
Ampharos
Alakazam
Gyarados (not shiny)
Crobat
Arcanine

Guess who my favourite Pokemon is.

In fourth gen, my brother joined Marriland and (somehow) became a mod

And then he forced me to follow him into competitive battling.

My current competitive team is:
Dragonite (anti-lead)
Tyranitar (choice scarf revenge killer)
Metagross (trick scarf)
Blissey (wish support)
Celebi (calm mind passer)
Heatran (torment)

I only realised AFTER that it had three pseudo-legendaries, so don't judge me :p The strategy is eliminate threats to the heatran, set up a sub and then lava plume to death, hopefull with a CM passed.

Other teams include:
Roderade (toxic spikes lead)
Blissey (wish support)
Skarmory (stealth rock and phazer)
Zapdos (subroost with roar)
Forretress (spikes and rapid spin)
Dusknoir (will-o-wisp and spin blocker)

and

Uxie (stealth rock, sunny day and u-turn, as well as yawn)
Cresselia (sunny day with moonlight)
Infernape (mixed sunny day sweeper)
Tangrowth (mixed sunny day sweeper)
Heatran (revenge killer)
Starmie (rapid spin and reflect)

The first is full stall, the second sunny day balanced.

About the Giratina catching thing, well you were lucky. It was funny though, I must've spent an hour on ONE battle with Cresselia, Azelf STRUGGLED itself to death, and yet I caught Dialga with a quick ball, and Giratina with a Dusk Ball (originally I typoed Duck ball... hmm) on my first try.

EDIT: And, IIRC, Manaphy is no longer in Uber.

Awesome sig thanks to Akiko of the ToK!

Quote from: Hellfire Soul, the Temple of KradenAsians are cool. They deal with tons of stereotypes and don't afraid of anything. Alternatively, they're awesome because, well, just look at the Temple. There's four types of people here- Asian, Awesome, Asian AND awesome, or Necare.

The subcategory "Kickass" applies to the first three categories
Quote from: Cipher Phoenix, Golden SunriseBanned for being the opposite of sularity (whatever that means). xD

Rolina

Well, Quickballs are uber in the first few turns, so that's cool, but Pokeballs?  I mean, the one before it ALMOST caught it (3 wiggles), I made a remarks saying something like "that's right, don't you DARE get caught by that.  It's night, in a cave, and you dodged my dark balls, so this timer ball had BETTER get you.  Don't you... NOOOO!  NO WAY!  YOU... YOU...  WHAT WAS I STALLING FOOOOOOOR?!"

I found it personally insulting!  A legendary in a lame-ball...

Also, I don't care about the rankings.  A Salamance is okay to me, as is any non-legendary uber.  I just don't like legendaries.  It's a me thing.

Zach

Loved this series, but I stopped playing it recently =(.

Favorite Pokemon

Color Series - Vaporean
Metallic Series - Blissey
Advanced Series - Milotic
Gem Series - Hasn't played yet

Rolina

Might as well start with the expansion pack then.  Grab Platinum when you're able.

Zach

Hehe ^-^", I kinda don't have a DS T-T"

Rolina

...If you don't have a DS/i, how do you expect to play GSDS?  You have half a year to get one.  Fail, and face erasure.

Zach

I will get one eventually...

Sajin

Ah, Pokemon... A great serie up untill Gold & Silver, after those they just went overboard with pokemon... In a couple of years how many there will be? 700? 1000? They should had just focus on making evolutions for those that already exist...

Either way, my favourites are Sandslash (RBY), Espeon and Typhlosion (GSC), Kecleon (RSE) and for the last games (altough I haven't played them yet) Leafeon or Weavile.

Quote from: Zach on 03, January, 2010, 12:43:04 AM
Hehe ^-^", I kinda don't have a DS T-T"

Neither do I... GSDS is enough reason for me to buy a DS. Well, and also SoulSilver tough...