Golden Sun Hacking Community
September 16, 2019, 12:46:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Website coming soon, need writers.  (Read 19985 times)
Atrius
Programmer Extraordinaire
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

Coins: 0

Emblems: Website Founder
Clan Position: Creation God of Sol

« on: April 03, 2010, 03:23:48 AM »

You may or may not have noticed that the "Home" button on the navigation bar no longer takes you to the forum index, and there's now a separate "Forum" button.  That's because Golden Sun Hacking Community is about to undergo a big change, the addition of a website which will be seamlessly integrated with the forums able to pull data off of them, and even use the theme you have selected in your profile.  Don't worry though, the actual forums themselves will remain largely untouched.

One thing I'd also like to do as part of this is to rework the downloads section to make it more integrated with the rest of the site.  Although it's a very nice feature it doesn't seem like people are even using it at all, they're just posting their downloads as attachments to topics on the forum instead.  Although I have a rough idea of what I'd like to do, any suggestions on how to go about fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to need a couple writers to help build the informational pages on the website about the editor, Golden Sun games, and our community.  I haven't fully decided what all will be included about the games, whether we'll just have a brief synopsis of them along with information on glitches, and some trivia that was discovered about them through hacking, or have a detailed guides of all the items, attacks, enemies, locations, e.t.c. for them.  That depends on what the writers want to do, although I'll likely automate some of the data gathering process if we choose to go that detailed.  To apply for a job as a writer send me an example of your work, preferably through personal message.  A brief summary of one of the games, characters, locations, or anything encyclopedic in nature will do.  Insightfulness, writing style (personality?), as well as spelling & grammar will all be taken into account.  I'd also like to include a detailed guide on the use of the Golden Sun TLA Editor on the website as well, though I haven't decided if I want to do that myself or pass it off to someone else yet.

EDIT: Just to clarify, HTML experience is not needed to apply.  I'll handle the layout & formatting of the pages, you'll only have to write the actual information on them.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:27:01 AM by Atrius » Logged

I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything
View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:32:38 AM »

By work, you mean something that we have written, right? I might apply for a website writing position, but I do not know how busy I will be this weekend.

As for the downloads section, why not just add a "Miscellaneous" section on the main page, and then add things like affiliates, downloads, etc.? For downloads, I would separate it into sections, like...

Downloads;
Golden Sun
-Utilities
-Hacks
Universal
-Utilities
Other
-Utilities
-Hacks

Something like this might help. Of course, I am not sure if "Other" should be included on a website solely based on Golden Sun.

Have a nice day.

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »

I take it you didn't even realize we already have a downloads section >_<

View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 12:54:48 PM »

I have known about it for a while, but you said...

One thing I'd also like to do as part of this is to rework the downloads section to make it more integrated with the rest of the site.

In fact, the reason why I have not placed my hack in that section is because I want to develop it first.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
Zach
That guy that lives down the street
Mercury Clan

You ain't worth the time

I am: Not sure about what to do with myself <.<

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 08:17:46 PM »

I look at the downloads tab once a month to see if anything changes, but it never does. Reason I haven't uploaded my hack to it is because I want to finish it before I add it to that section, HOWEVER, in my next update I shall add it to the list, just for you :D
View Profile
MaxiPower
Feed Me Coins!!
Venus Clan

Great Member

Coins: 1

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 01:28:39 AM »

I would love to help out if I may!
View Profile
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 04:24:03 AM »

I can't wait to see a sample of your work then.

View Profile WWW
Tetsuya the Azure Blade
The Shadow Fang
Luna Clan

Kick your @#$, that's what I'm gonna do.

Great Member

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 01:56:20 PM »

I could help out aswell, seeing as the only thing I'm currently doing is playing Bioshock on my XBOX.
View Profile
RTGreece21
Ruehl, son of Disgaea
Venus Clan

I see the glass half empty even when it's full.

I am: lazy and loving my cat books.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 09:31:36 AM »

Exclamation I would also love to help... if you need more people, that is. I sent a PM to Role, applying for being a contributor for the main project. If i am accepted, then maybe I'll start with a document for the website. Just give me a few words about what you want to put on there, and I'll write something up with the proper links and information. I'm also wonder what sort of spelling the site will use. I am Canadian, so personally, I use Canadian spelling. I can do U.S. spelling too, if that is what you would rather use.  Alex

"Optimistic about Pessimism."
"Want to see my good side? Hah heh heh... That was a trick question. All I have are good sides."[/color]
View Profile WWW
MaxiPower
Feed Me Coins!!
Venus Clan

Great Member

Coins: 1

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 02:14:31 PM »

Don't tell me you's have your own way of spelling also.... cough cough, nothing like the original....
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 07:03:37 PM »

The Canadian English spellings are closer to the UK (like with color vs. colour), but are still different (and no method is correct over the other, though English in one country is generally preferred if it is what is usually used in that country).

Before getting too off topic though, I do have a question. Atrius? Are you going to make a list of who is helping out with the website, or is it going to be a private group (as for who is writing articles, etc.)?

Have a nice day.

View Profile WWW
RTGreece21
Ruehl, son of Disgaea
Venus Clan

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »

Don't tell me you's have your own way of spelling also.... cough cough, nothing like the original....
I think everyone does, just to be national jerks. Irate Original English spelling used to be comprised of what people thought the words should be spelled like. Until a few people got tired of it and invented a dictionary, English was a flying mess. People ended up making the dictionaries for their communities and provinces, and thus English spelling ended up being different depending on where you go. Happy

The Canadian English spellings are closer to the UK (like with color vs. colour), but are still different (and no method is correct over the other, though English in one country is generally preferred if it is what is usually used in that country).

Before getting too off topic though, I do have a question. Atrius? Are you going to make a list of who is helping out with the website, or is it going to be a private group (as for who is writing articles, etc.)?

Have a nice day.
I have an option that will allow me to change the spell check on OpenOffice, so I can use that to suit the needs of the website. Happy I have noticed that the spelling seems closer for Canada and the UK, but it's pretty radically different if you look at US v.s. Canadian spellings.

"Want to see my good side? Hah heh heh... That was a trick question. All I have are good sides."[/color]
View Profile WWW
Pkmn-Master
That One Lurker-guy

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 10:29:18 PM »

How about a Golden Sun Wiki? I know there is a big one already, but... We could be a much bigger website like how SonicRetro is.
View Profile
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 09:04:58 AM »

The website is completely separate from the community hack project, you'll have to apply for them separately.  There will be a list on the site of people that helped create it.

As for nationality spelling to use, if the viewing statistics for the Youtube videos I've uploaded are any indication of our audience American comes in first place at 47% with Canadian following in second at only 8%

I have no intentions of doing anything as in-depth as a Wiki. I simply don't have the right resources to host it on the same server as our forums & website, and I support the existing Golden Sun wiki, I certainly don't mean to oppose them.

View Profile WWW
RTGreece21
Ruehl, son of Disgaea
Venus Clan

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 09:19:53 AM »

As for nationality spelling to use, if the viewing statistics for the Youtube videos I've uploaded are any indication of our audience American comes in first place at 47% with Canadian following in second at only 8%

Looks like I'll have to change my settings for that then. ^^ I love how one click of a button can change what is right and wrong in the English language. XD

View Profile WWW
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
September 10, 2019, 12:56:51 PM
Fox: Small corrections = If those images were uploaded via an account, you can still get them ... but Sept 16 is the last day.
September 10, 2019, 12:27:46 PM
Fox: I'm suprised many of the badges weren't put on the server... and now that tinypic has deleted them, they're gone forever. xD
September 05, 2019, 01:06:04 PM
Frog: wow, it's nice to see this place is still around :o
September 05, 2019, 12:07:44 PM
Fox: "them" as in their posts.
September 05, 2019, 12:07:03 PM
Fox: As in... look at all those users.... paiseo, notto1122,    jirapon, pubg1, nutseo6.... All of them. Are spambots with Thai language in them. xD So many of them... and nothing productive coming from any of them.  I bet it's the same person.
September 04, 2019, 08:48:35 PM
Fox: Every post with Thai language in it. I'm going to immediately assume is spam. For now one, until proven otherwise. xD
August 22, 2019, 12:53:38 PM
Omx7: A shame that I only recently discovered this website. Hopefully, we see Golden Sun 4 in the near future.
August 15, 2019, 04:08:47 PM
Fox: Golden Sun Slacking Community = I like that, Misery! Perfect April Fools joke?
August 13, 2019, 02:37:11 AM
Salanewt: Oh hey Atrius, long time no see!
August 12, 2019, 11:37:45 PM
Fox: (Someone else discovered that, not me.)
August 12, 2019, 11:33:42 PM
Fox: So um. It looks like abilties in the class editor are being put back in as a byte for GS1?
August 12, 2019, 08:02:58 PM
Fox: Also, it seems most of us have moved to the Discord. In case if you were wondering where the forums activity went. Maybe come by and check it out. But it is just a suggestion, you don't have to.
August 12, 2019, 07:57:02 PM
Fox: I figured that was a possibility. If you are guesting, it is hard to know how frequently you check back. It's great to hear from you, though. :)   What have you been up to?  Is Forgotten Dreams still being worked on, or has that been cancelled? (I'd guess you don't have much time for it. It's been years since we've last heard about it.)
August 12, 2019, 12:48:12 AM
KingAmiti: Still great work Atrius :)
August 11, 2019, 06:45:03 PM
Atrius: This place was a HUGE part of my life, and even though I don't have the time that it really deserves to take care of it, I will love it forever, and never forget about it..
August 11, 2019, 05:16:34 PM
Atrius: If anyone wants to make a replacement site then go for it.  Although I plan to keep this place up for the foreseeable future, it isn't really maintained anymore.
August 11, 2019, 05:09:10 PM
Atrius: Sometimes he comes by and looks around without logging in.
August 08, 2019, 11:52:33 AM
Fox: Does Atrius still come here? He hasn't logged in since last year. Maybe it is time to create a replacement site so we can have our full encyclopedia... Then again, I'm too lazy. Especially to get all that done by myself. :/
July 06, 2019, 03:44:41 AM
Salanewt: Oh, yeah there isn't an animation overhaul for GS1 sadly.
July 03, 2019, 04:54:58 PM
ryancaesar12345: GS2 Animation Overhaul w/ Baseline  ips patch in golden sun 1?

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise