News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Let's talk about ridiculous release delay.

Started by Atrius, 29, April, 2010, 01:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aile~♥

Quote from: Salanewt on 26, August, 2010, 02:48:17 PM
I love how people were saying a few months ago "take your time," and now they are juggling knives to try to get you to hurry up.

If I recall correctly, that was you. XD
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

That still is me. If you notice, I have not once insinuated that I would want to stab people with imaginary knives. However, other people were saying it as well.

By the way, take as much time as you need or want on the editor, okay Atrius?

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Quote from: Salanewt on 26, August, 2010, 03:09:00 PM
Take as much time as you need or want on the editor, okay Atrius?
Don't tell him that! Or do you actually WANT him to release it when we're 40?

Salanewt

Personally, it just encourages me to do other things. I would love to have a completed Golden Sun editor, but there are so many things that I would like to do right now, some of which I am working on as I type. As long as we get one in the future, that is all that matters.

Besides, think of it this way. It is either him who makes the editor, or it is up to someone else to work on it. At least we know a little bit about Atrius and of his knowledge on Golden Sun's data, so he would be more trustworthy for this sort of thing.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Gareth

I don't know much about hacking this game, nor do i claim to
but I've been following (lurking) this project for a very long time now :P
though the current releases have been fun, i do agree with Role and Jamie, it would be nice to see some minor releases between the massive ones
(though i see you've already addressed this issue :P)
anyway, just wanna say thanks for even putting the time in, can't wait for October's release now =)
            :heart:
:Jenna:

MaxiPower

ive got my birthday week and the second week of in November from work soooo yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

2 months from now.. = Perfect..

Note: I would never stab you

Rolina

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Quote from: Role on 27, August, 2010, 05:10:02 PM
Quote from: MaxiPower on 27, August, 2010, 01:16:51 PM
Note: I would never stab you
Note: I would
Note: I won't stab you, I'll blow your head off with a bazooka instead

MaxiPower

programming would be extremely hard, yes he has experience, but even hes tredding in new territories.. deeper and deeper which only is getting harder. Thats why i will never be impatient / ungrateful for the pace he works at.

I can see why people need updates as it gives them something to practice and mess about with whilst waiting for the next version and I will agree that minor updates will make the wait for the final version much sweeter.

But pushing a guy with a great job (air force material) to dig even deeper isn't the way forward, posting stabs is a joke and all i know but it doesn't help the situation. The fact remains is that if Atrius could get a full fledged great release tomorrow he probably would but the time taking between releases only guarantees a more polished release. and I can honestly say, Quality over quantity is on on his mind

In short, Smaller releases are cool, but will only hold you over a short period and alas, constant waiting times will occur over and over again. Big releases mean you can concentrate on your lives and when a big update comes its all cool.

Riiight im of to the pub, and yes im already mighty drunk lol (but i talk the truth whilst in this state always) you are reading the truth

woooooooooooooooo  :happy: :happy: :happy:

Roareye

You guys were just making things worse. I am a fellow scripter, basically working on .xml and .lua files. I know how it is to be pressed on by the community you work in. Just wanted to let you know, reminding him about the new version of the editor not here yet doesn't make it any better. He REALLY knows that. He's working on it, after all. And alone, if I'm not mistaken. I know how it is, to have those fun projects started long ago, and then come the real life problems, you eventually get bored of what you started, etc. Let him be. He'll probably start working on it hard when everything settles where it should be settled. And I know that it's been some time since anybody posted here, but I really felt like pointing that out. You just don't know how it is if you never been in that situation yourselves.
I may be a bit rusty now... but lightning still flows through my veins.

The moon of Jupiter.

Rolina

So it takes you a year and a half to get a single update out on your programs, Roareye?

Salanewt

Quotethen comes the real life problems,

Such as work and computer replacement, if I recall correctly. It can be pretty tiring to code, debug, recode, reorganize, check for bugs in other sections, etc.

Have a nice day.

Roareye

Quote from: Role on 01, September, 2010, 09:50:27 AM
So it takes you a year and a half to get a single update out on your programs, Roareye?

Nope, but you know what an Art-block is? You know, that thing when artists can't draw/sing/etc. Lack of inspiration, or ideas, or just no motivation. To be honest there was a time when I had to do a one not-so-complicated script, and it took me... half a year. And I was able to do in a single day. I just got tired of what I was doing, and took a break. A really long one. Because when I just thought about it, it made me feel ill. And there was a time when I thought of just abandoning my work. But after some time, it just came to me. I realized (actually, remembered) that I was doing it for fun, not for other people. Keep in mind that Atrius don't have to share his tools with you, he could never release them in the first place. But he did, and you should be grateful for what he did up to this point. He'll release it when it's done, so just wait patiently, and do something more productive.

Yes, I'm also a hardcore fan of Golden Sun. But there's no need to rush things up. I know I'm repeating myself, but that will get you nowhere.

By the way, Role, I'm not writing programs, I'm just making more or less complicated scripts to enhance the "program". Or in my case, a MMO game based on the said scripts. I also make sprites, but that's not the case.

If anybody finds that post offensive, then I'm sorry. I don't mean to attack anyone, my point is just to explain the feelings of a person who's in the very similar situation as I am. Especially the "working alone" part.

So, peace out and respect,

~Roa

The moon of Jupiter.

MaxiPower

Quote from: Roareye on 01, September, 2010, 02:50:41 PM

Nope, but you know what an Art-block is? You know, that thing when artists can't draw/sing/etc. Lack of inspiration, or ideas, or just no motivation. To be honest there was a time when I had to do a one not-so-complicated script, and it took me... half a year. And I was able to do in a single day. I just got tired of what I was doing, and took a break. A really long one. Because when I just thought about it, it made me feel ill. And there was a time when I thought of just abandoning my work. But after some time, it just came to me. I realized (actually, remembered) that I was doing it for fun, not for other people. Keep in mind that Atrius don't have to share his tools with you, he could never release them in the first place. But he did, and you should be grateful for what he did up to this point. He'll release it when it's done, so just wait patiently, and do something more productive.

Yes, I'm also a hardcore fan of Golden Sun. But there's no need to rush things up. I know I'm repeating myself, but that will get you nowhere.

By the way, Role, I'm not writing programs, I'm just making more or less complicated scripts to enhance the "program". Or in my case, a MMO game based on the said scripts. I also make sprites, but that's not the case.

If anybody finds that post offensive, then I'm sorry. I don't mean to attack anyone, my point is just to explain the feelings of a person who's in the very similar situation as I am. Especially the "working alone" part.

~Roa

I agree with this, when im doing my GSC videos, when im doing them i enjoy making them but it can be weeks / months between releases for no reason other than motivation (and lack of sprites sometimes)

Rolina

Quote from: Roareye on 01, September, 2010, 02:50:41 PM

~Roa

If you were paying attention, though, you'd know that's not a problem.

The problem was twofold:  Bootcamp and a busted computer. Atrius had joined the air force, and just recently fixed the compy.  So while we're giving him a hard time, you're defending him for ENTIRELY THE WRONG REASONS.

Roareye

No need to quote all that.

No, no, no. As I stated before, I'm not really defending anyone. My point was to make you understand, more or less, how it is. If you will keep that in mind and still stick to your ways, then fine, be that way, I don't care. I'm also a little annoyed about how much of the time passed since the last version has been out. And yeah, I've read his posts about why he's so busy. No need to go "all caps", my job in this thread is done.

So, I'm out. Just one more question... or nah, wait. I'll ask Role via PM.

The moon of Jupiter.

Rolina

Make me understand?

I DO.

We all do.  We know exactly why the delay happened.  The thing is, I'm the resident sadist.  It's my job to bring up the long delay every chance I get so as to twist the knife.  I mean, I'm ROLE.  It's what I do.

I think you don't understand.  You're trying to reason writer's block from the looks of it - and are trying to be as unoffensive as possible.  I'm saying you're wrong, it's a hard case of real life getting in the way, then mocking you for being too blind to see it.  Get it yet?

Atrius (He/Him)

Wrong, Role.  There's a lot of truth in what Roareye is saying as well. 
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

What, writer's block?  Doesn't happen for years at a time, sorry.  My argument was that you had more pressing issues at hand than a fan-project, and that we know this, but have been poking fun anyways.  I don't think they got it.

Atrius (He/Him)

I'm not saying it's the only reason for the delay, but he's not wrong.  There are some weeks that I work around 70 hours or more, and when I do have time to work on the editor I'm too burnt out to think through what to with the code.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]