News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Real Name-based Sites

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 14, June, 2011, 02:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Have you ever used a fake name on a real-name based site... It's kinda more sad and disturbing than a quiet forum when you do get caught.

I signed up a LONG LONG time ago at facebook as Charleys Drpepper, I only had like 6 friends maybe.. and now.. after checking my emails.. I decided to go on the site again.. and .. I've just noticed I've been suspended.

Gosh, I hate the thought of filling out the form...---

.EDIT: ..  Being limited to a certain number of name changes to begin with discourages me from using a real name.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

Oh... oh god...  That has so many privacy violations just screaming at me right now...

More proof that social media sites like this are very very bad things.

Menaus

Add to that they let the government 'monitor' everyone. It was just a few weeks ago that a 13-year-old-boy was visited by the secret service because he made a wall post telling Obama to watch out for bombs because Osama just got 'executed'
"You state that I have misinterpreted my results, and it looks as though you believe my views to be unsound. Your arguments are those of an eminent scholar. I was myself a fair scholar. For years I pondered, so to speak, day and night over books, and filled my head with sound views–very sound ones, indeed—those of others. But I could no[t] get to practical results. I then began to work and think independently. Gradually my views became unsound, but they conducted me to some sound results." - Nikola Tesla

Rolina

Do you have a source for that?  I'm not just gonna take your word for claims like that, you know.

Salanewt

Eh, they seem to have ignored me most of the time. Then again, there are ways to use fake names without them knowing about it. One could just scramble up their real name if they wanted to.

Being told that you have to use a real name, and then having the name censored because it matches that of a celebrity is ludicrous (it never happened to me when I tried for fun, but others have).
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

QuoteAdd to that they let the government 'monitor' everyone.
Definitely true! You see quite a few events on the news about how the police were able to catch criminals.  Etc.

QuoteIt was just a few weeks ago that a 13-year-old-boy was visited by the secret service because he made a wall post telling Obama to watch out for bombs because Osama just got 'executed
Hmm.. there seems like two ways to view that message. 1.) He could be threatening Obama that he's the bomber. or 2.) (Which is the most likely one.) He is warning Obama what Osama's people will probably do. .. Or wait, there's a part two to that one? What if the kid is hinting something that he knows of a bombing that will happen?

QuoteEh, they seem to have ignored me most of the time. Then again, there are ways to use fake names without them knowing about it. One could just scramble up their real name if they wanted to.
Yeah, but... if enough people know you and that you have a fake name... I think they'd report you for it? I think... Also, by having a fake name, it was also more difficult for me to requests friends freely with a group of people to try and avoid that situation to a certain degree.  (I don't imagine facebook to have the interest in looking at each person individually without any suspicion... They probably can use some search functions.)

QuoteBeing told that you have to use a real name, and then having the name censored because it matches that of a celebrity is ludicrous (it never happened to me when I tried for fun, but others have).
It nevers happens to you.. hmm by the way.. How many people know about your fake account(s)?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Shinigami

Quote from: Role on 14, June, 2011, 03:26:43 AM
Oh... oh god...  That has so many privacy violations just screaming at me right now...

More proof that social media sites like this are very very bad things.
I agree with Role. When my mother tried to get me to join Facebook (she had just found some of my old friends on there) I said no, more to make a point than anything else (you can always not fill in the profile). I was already upset when I heard that a video containing me might be put on my schools website. <--- Didn't happen eventually. Not because of me though. The teacher did send it via e-mail to someone though. At least, he said he did.
If my real name got onto any websites, be they social networking or not, I would really, really hate the person who caused it to appear there. Probably for ever. You never know who is backing up parts of the internets without anyone knowing...

As they say, what is put on the internet stays on the internet.
So nanoka~

Marin (She/Her)

I've always stood against sites like Facebook which infringe on what I believe should be basic rights of the internet. I always will. Their ridiculous, unfair, and horribly impractical name policy is just the tip of the ice berg demonstrating their sick ideological nonsense to try and /force/ us to behave through implied threats of real life implications. :fury:

In my honest opinion... the internet, with it's safety in anonymity, has proven that many people are willing to be good people without being forced. Therefore, I can not support this terrible, terrible movement Facebook has going on.

Facebook. It can kiss my butt.

Salanewt

Facebook seems to be trying to remove safety from Internet. You never hear of anyone named "Richgirl145" getting her house robbed because she posted her username and some anonymous information about her. No, you hear of Timmy or Joane getting robbed for posting their full names, all of their friends' names, contact information, and adding complete strangers to view an account; all because of a false sense of security.

QuoteFacebook. It can kiss my butt.

From what I understand, that is what they are doing to millions of people to get them to relax before they... :!:
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

I believe their purpose was to get in contact with the people you know in life... (Like the type of people who would know your name to start out with.)

but because this is on the internetz that also seems to get us adding strangers and just plain internet friends as well... soo...

Anyway, do note that if you apply for a job, it could be quite likely they will google you, find your facebook profile.. and friend you with a fake name to see what you are like, and if they can trust you. (Sometimes, it might be a romantic type fake girl? I've never had this happen, but I have heard that they can do this kind of stuff.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

dwkjohn

I have been using the name David Johnson for almost 2 years. they believe he is real. I looked myself up and found all kinds of crap about him...me...fake me. whatever. still, if the name you use sounds legit and your info is consistent, then you don't need to worry about that stuff.

and no, theinfo on David Johnson was not actually someone named David Johnson that lives near me, there is no david johnson in fayette county.
Just sayin'.  

,-~~-.___.            Golden Sun
  /   |  '         \   Hacking Community
(     )           0              |
   \_/-, ,------'              /
      ===                     //                   
      /    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|
All your internet entertainment.

Hehehe.. Just wait until you hear what I have to say..

I've been googling and it looks like there are also FALSE POSITIVES!!!!!!

For example... the Kate Middleton below, who's real name is Kate Middleton got caught for using a fake name of Kate Middleton.

http://www.allfacebook.com/facebook-suspends-another-real-kate-middleton-account-2011-04

Apparantly there just happens to be another famous person with the same name.

Usually when something like that happens you can email them and they get you back up.

Hmm... http://scobleizer.com/2008/01/03/ive-been-kicked-off-of-facebook/

They are like too over restrictive. Does any other site moderate names more than Facebook? All this fake name stuff makes me want to call them Fakebook.

EDIT:
QuoteDavid Johnson
Oh yeah, hey David, how many friends do you have? And do you think that if people report you... that they would probably suspend you for fake name as well..?? Afterall, I did have Charleys Drpepper  in perfect status for quite a long time... (Probably about 2 years as well, but I don't remember.... I know it's been ATLEAST 1 year, though.)
I think most importantly, you just have to watch out for what you do..

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Shinigami

Would one of you(who has Facebook) mind searching the name "Zaphod Beebelbrox" on Facebook and posting the number of results here?
So nanoka~

Hoopa

"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

leaf

The internet without anonymity is a failure. Facebook infringes upon that anonymity, and therefore facebook is a failure. The truth is, you could get away with a fake name easily, so long as it sounds believable. As proof, I still see contact requests for my fake facebook profile I set up years ago when I check my junk mail.

People who live in countries that force them to use their real name on the internet get blocked from creating accounts on youtube, and honestly, that's how it should be on the entire internet. Having a site require your real name when you aren't buying anything from them is completely and utterly unnecessary. I don't care if giving your real name is an option, but when it's required and is put on display for everyone to see... I'd rather not.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Sweet! Everyone here has a similar opinion.

It would have been much better should they have only required a name, instead of BOTH first and last. Oh well.. Just be glad that no one is actually forcing you to use their site.

ere's a side question to go along with this discussion: If google took over facebook (Not likely to happen unless it is for some unexpected reason), would they change the real-name policy, or keep it the same?

EDIT: Oh, how about if it was school related. (and not a social community, but for work for the teacher..) Would that affect whether you use your real name as well. (You would probably use a last initial, though.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

ScottTheAdept

Actually, at my school, almost everyone (this includes teachers) has a Facebook account.

Everyone who asks me "Hey you should add me on Facebook" or something to that extent gets a, "Sorry, I don't use Facebook. If I wanted to post my real information somewhere it would probably be for a job or buying something. Facebook is not my thing."

Now a few teachers think that since "everybody has a Facebook" they can message them about schoolwork and extra credit and other such nonsense. Nonsense being the Facebook messaging. I miss out and grades are hurt slightly. But whatever. I can fix it.

I'm betting if google did attempt a massive takeover of facebook... I see that the results could go two ways.
1) Results are catastrophic and one or both sites fall apart, or
2) Assimilation is successful and people can join with whatever they please as a username. No real name required.

I know it's been about twelve days since the last post, but I wanted to say something, you know?
Here come the holidays. Shopping gets hectic round these times.

QuoteActually, at my school, almost everyone (this includes teachers) has a Facebook account.
Yeah, I remember when I was searching for people on there once, there were quite a large sum of people... Not just students from school, but also relatives. Eh..

QuoteEveryone who asks me "Hey you should add me on Facebook" or something to that extent gets a, "Sorry, I don't use Facebook. If I wanted to post my real information somewhere it would probably be for a job or buying something. Facebook is not my thing."
Hehe, a few people did ask me back when I was in school as well. Unlike you, a few I simply said I used a fake name.

QuoteNow a few teachers think that since "everybody has a Facebook" they can message them about schoolwork and extra credit and other such nonsense. Nonsense being the Facebook messaging. I miss out and grades are hurt slightly. But whatever. I can fix it.
Good thing I didn't have to worry about that.

QuoteI'm betting if google did attempt a massive takeover of facebook... I see that the results could go two ways.
1) Results are catastrophic and one or both sites fall apart, or
2) Assimilation is successful and people can join with whatever they please as a username. No real name required.
I believe Google did try to buy Facebook at one time, but I think they were unsuccessful. Now days you can use your Fb account to Connect to other websites. Not to mention, all the Fb Like buttons. Look at Runescape, neopets, addictinggames... They've all been plagued.  What has gotten in to this? I imagine if the government got into this, we would probably have to log in with a name or something to even be able to use the internet? Ouch. Looking at the number of people who use real names, you'd think this is a possibility, but then looking at the number of people who don't use real-names. I doubt this would happen. (Edit: It could help keep underaged people from saying they are an adult...)

QuoteI know it's been about twelve days since the last post, but I wanted to say something, you know?
Cool, I almost thought this topic would go dead.

Edit: Now shall we request for facebook features to be added in the Feedback forum? (Just kidding.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

dwkjohn

logging in to the internet would suck. I would never be able to get on here without my mom knowing.

"adding facebook to the site."
I say this.
        _   _              __    __
o(#    /\    )==D))     /\    ")o
Just sayin'.  

,-~~-.___.            Golden Sun
  /   |  '         \   Hacking Community
(     )           0              |
   \_/-, ,------'              /
      ===                     //                   
      /    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|
All your internet entertainment.

Quotelogging in to the internet would suck. I would never be able to get on here without my mom knowing.
You know, there might be programs out there that can limit Internet access, and that can also log URLs and stuff, etc., so, with or without the logging in... just be glad she doesn't know about it.
Quote"adding facebook to the site."
I say this.
        _   _              __    __
o(#    /\    )==D))     /\    ")o
You say wha? A bunch of random textual art? As for adding fb to the site, it sounds like more advertising, so I guess it would be better not to promote fb.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden