News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Golden Sun The Lost Age Editor Open Sourced (Dev alpha v0.5 download inside)

Started by Atrius, 25, February, 2012, 06:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

Developer Alpha Version 0.5

[Download Link]
Developer Alpha Version 0.5, Feb 25, 2012 (1.99 MB .zip)

Wait, the editor is open source now?  What's going on?

I've realized that the editor doesn't just belong to me, it belongs to everyone here.  Combined with the fact that ever since I enlisted in the Military I simply haven't had enough time, or energy to give the project the attention it deserves, this seemed like the logical choice to me.  I'm opening up the project so that anyone with the skills, and desire can contribute to it.  Toward that end I've released the program, and it's source under the GNU public license.  What this basically means is anyone is free to copy, share, and modify the source as long as they give me credit, and it remains under the GNU public license.

As an additional note, I apologize in advance for my poorly organized, uncommented code.

What does this "Developer Alpha Version" nonsense mean?

This is the in-development version of the editor, it contains features that haven't been completed or fully tested.  No guarantee is made about it's level of polish, or stability.

What features that haven't been completed?

1) The sprite editor of course, as I've said before it only works with 2 out of 4 sprite formats right now.  It's extremely slow, hasn't been polished or fully tested yet.  For example, while it's saving the editor may appear to lock up.  It's still working on saving sprites it's just decided it's become too busy with that to play nice with Windows any more, after it's completed saving it will begin responding again.

2) The data viewer (which has been a long time coming, but still isn't finished)  It's a gargantuan feature that won't be polished and final for a LONG time, it's still quite unstable and unpolished.  Still, it can do a lot of cool things: view palettes, tilesets, images, Hex data, ASM code, scan code for data pointers, track where those data pointers are used in the code, e.t.c.

Can I make modifications and release my own version of the editor?

Yes you can!  Just be aware of the following conditions:

- You must label your release as modified, you cannot release it as an "official" version of the editor under my name.
- Your modified version must also be released under the GNU public license.
- You must make your modified source code available for download.
- You can NOT remove any notices in the program that it was originally created by me, or that it is under the GNU public license

To label it as modified by you I highly recommend editing the create event of "obj_about" in the "titlebar buttons" folder of the Game Maker source code to include a statement that it is your modified version of the editor.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Okay, now then... let's pull a team together.  If we get multiple people working on multiple aspects, compile them together, and work out the kinks while fixing things like conflicting code and what not, then we'll have a much more functional editor much more quickly.

This is most definitely a step in the right direction.

Kioll

THANK YOU!!!!  You released the feature I needed for my BYOND project.  Now that I can import and export sprites, I can begin the long and painful process of creating base sprites for Golden Sun BYOND.  You, Atrius, are a miracle worker.  Also, what language is the editor in?
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Quote from: Kioll on 25, February, 2012, 08:18:55 PM
THANK YOU!!!!  You released the feature I needed for my BYOND project.  Now that I can import and export sprites, I can begin the long and painful process of creating base sprites for Golden Sun BYOND.  You, Atrius, are a miracle worker.  Also, what language is the editor in?
The Editor itself is programmed in GML, but I think he needed to make something in C++, or some other language. I think it was a DLL what he needed to make, that is what I think.

Misery

This is good news indeed, and possibly a big step towards the completion of the editor. I can understand why you'd be reluctant to make it open source, but I'm glad you did so anyway. Perhaps even I will be able to contribute something... I'm not sure when, though.

MaxiPower

Atrius (He/Him)

The editor automatically converts imported sprites to Golden Sun's palette.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

MaxiPower

Rolina

Salanewt

I haven't really been able to test it out very much, but it seems pretty nice! Though, if the working sprite formats are 0 and 1, is it possible to convert other sprites and save them in one of the working formats?
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

Yes, it's slow but it will convert sprites to formats 0 & 1.  Like I said the editor may appear to lock up while saving a bunch of edited sprites, but it should start responding again once it finishes which may take a while.

EDIT: Yikes, this version seems to have quite a problem working with some compression formats that were working in v0.4.  I'll try to get a fix out soon...

EDIT 2:  Luckily it was a very simple fix, original link has been updated too.
[GoldenSunTLA_Editor_DevV0_5_r2.zip]

Kioll

Hey, Atrius, is there anyway to export pallette swaps?  Or do I have to export the sprite and find the pallette swap manually?
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

Aile~♥

Um... It's not opening files for me. At all. I select an unmodified ROM and hit "Open" and it does nothing. I'm currently using Windows XP.

Edit: Actually, it does open files, but it won't open unmodified ROMs, for some reason.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Wait, seriously?  It can't open a base rom?  That's one hell of a glitch. O.o

Salanewt

It was doing that for me too, and I use Windows 7... Hm, have you tried clicking and dragging the ROM onto the editor? I managed to fix my problem by doing that, since it wouldn't even open modified files for me.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Doesn't work if you have your roms sorted, though.  I have a base rom folder, one for experiement A, one for experiement B, one for general testing, one for templates, and one where I put the hacks you guys make.  I don't have any hacks in the same folder as the editor itself - they're all subfolders, so it's not quite as easy to do.

Salanewt

I sort of have mine sorted the same way, but individual hacks have their own folders, status ailment/buff hacks in another, classes in their own, Dark Dawn... Etc. I just copy+paste one when I want to edit it, and it works out nicely in case an unknown glitch in the editor messes it up.

MaxiPower

sometimes when i import sprites it wont allow me to save, tried changing the compression but no luck... any ideas?

Misery

MaxiPower

Quote from: Misery on 27, February, 2012, 04:36:56 PM
Well... it wouldn't be an alpha if everything worked, right?

Touché but is there a varible that allows for some images to be imported whilst others not...?