News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

The (potentially) New Gshc

Started by Charon, 01, October, 2009, 09:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charon

Well, Atrius set this up about 2 weeks ago, and I've decided to make it public.

We may be moving in a little bit, depending on your opinion of the move. You see, the new GSHC, located here, has a lot more features than the current forums, and is a lot easier to customize as well. Unfortunately, since we cannot transfer post count, we will be unable to keep your current ranks, and the current forums will be shut down and kept as an archive.

However, for those with over 250 posts here, I'll nominate you as veterans there, and the moderating team will remain. Also, for those who were members here, you will only need to reach a 250 post cap in order to reach veteran.

I'll keep the link up for a little bit so you can mess around with it and get used to the forums. Post your thoughts here, and whether or not you wouldn't mind the move.

Salanewt

Well, it seems nice, but there are a few reasons why it is not my favourite idea.

1: I would lose my post count.

2: Not everyone would move (chances are), so I would have to flip back and forth to see everything.

3: The interface of that website looks more confusing. However, I suppose the Invisionfree board would look similar if Javascript is used.

Have a nice day.
:MercurySet:  :MercuryDjinni:

I will definitely join this new one if the following people join as well:

charleysdrpepper,
JamietheFlameUser,
zach.

If one out of three of them do not join, then I will wait as well (or when these forums are closed).

Edit: Actually...

This post has been edited by Salanewt on Oct 1 2009, 08:41 PM
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

If we decided to move, these forums would set so they can only be viewed, and not posted on so things don't get confusing with 2 GSHCs.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Charon

I'm currently seeing if I can configure it in a way that's easy to use but not too different from what they have here. I enabled WYSIWYG, so you can edit your posts similar to a word document. Of course, if you want to fix your tags, you can change it back to the tagged format we use here.

The post count is a bit of a problem, however. I'll see if I can change your base post count to match that of here.

Zach

Although I'm not to fond of moving to a place that looks exactly the same (excluding the removal of the adds) I'm willing to move

Salanewt

Well, don't worry, I already joined the new location. WHen I typed my previous post, I did not read all of Charon's (I thought I did, but I did not).

Anyway, I would rather not move, but I will if I must. If you can implement our post counts, then that will change my opinion about moving almost entirely.

Have a nice day.

You have an Agatio emoticon over there, yet none of the usable characters?

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Charon

Quote from: Salanewt on 01, October, 2009, 10:13:00 PMWell, don't worry, I already joined the new location. WHen I typed my previous post, I did not read all of Charon's (I thought I did, but I did not).

Anyway, I would rather not move, but I will if I must. If you can implement our post counts, then that will change my opinion about moving almost entirely.

Have a nice day.
:MercurySet:  :MercuryDjinni:

You have an Agatio emoticon over there, yet none of the usable characters?
We're working on adding a lot of emoticons as well. We have a huge selection of regular emoticons for the time being.

There's a lot more things we can do with posting in general, like Flash, youtube and other things (we might disable flash for security reasons though). We are also going to try out things like Reputation, which is the little +/- thing on the right side of your post. Push the + to raise it for good posts, push the - to lower it for bad posts.

Salanewt

Very nice. However, what type of post would one classify as "bad"?

Have a nice day.

Atrius (He/Him)

[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

That is true. I suppose (if a post is good or bad) that it depends on the person rating it, and rarely on the post itself.

Have a nice day.

Aile~♥

Quote from: Charon on 01, October, 2009, 07:02:00 PMWell, Atrius set this up about 2 weeks ago, and I've decided to make it public.

We may be moving in a little bit, depending on your opinion of the move. You see, the new GSHC, located here, has a lot more features than the current forums, and is a lot easier to customize as well. Unfortunately, since we cannot transfer post count, we will be unable to keep your current ranks, and the current forums will be shut down and kept as an archive.

However, for those with over 250 posts here, I'll nominate you as veterans there, and the moderating team will remain. Also, for those who were members here, you will only need to reach a 250 post cap in order to reach veteran.

I'll keep the link up for a little bit so you can mess around with it and get used to the forums. Post your thoughts here, and whether or not you wouldn't mind the move.
Umm... Charon? "Your link is broken!" (Lord of the Rings reference.) On top of that, would it be possible to transfer almost all of the topics? I don't want to lose some of the VERY useful topics we have here.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

Hm... The link is not broken for me. Anyway, I can try giving you a different link to go there if you want.

Also, I forgot to mention in my first post, but one of my reasons for having minor doubts about the move is based on the question "can we move some of these topic?". If post count can be implemented at the new location, then I suppose that all we need to do is to copy and paste the more important topics there, but still.

Have a nice day.

Oh yeah, I have a link to the new page here.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Lighthouse_of_Y...hp?showtopic=33

Classic is this website, 2 is the new one. If you are still having problems, then it might not be the link, but instead the compatability of the website with your computer.

Aile~♥

It's not that it can't open the page, it simply cannot find the server. Which is odd, given that I can reach the omgforum.net's main page without difficulty. Would you please send me a link to a different omgforum.net forum to see if it happens with all of them?

weckar

I'm willing to move, but the sidebar really has to go. Or can I turn it off myself?

Aile~♥

Ok, I've tried THREE different web browsers so far, and they all say that they cannot find the server, or that the server doesn't exist.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

@weckar: Yes, I think the sidebar looked tacky where it is at right now, I would perfer it to be at the bottom of the screen, but I am not 100% familar with omgforums.

@JamietheFlameUser: If that is the case, maybe the browser is not the problem? But I am sorry that I do not know te answer to your problem.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Aile~♥

No, my browser isn't the problem. It's the webpage that's the problem. The only browser I can manage to run it in is Internet Explorer. I'm not going to go out of my way to get the newest version of a web browser that I wouldn't use for anything else, and the version of IE that I have is version 5. My vote sits on a firm NO, unless you find somewhere that supports Macs. It's bad enough that I cannot use the editor. Then again, if I get a windows computer so I can use the editor, I'd be able to use the website too.

Charon

I bet its the fonky modules that the mac or the browser can't seem to swallow down... it can't be "just the site" if it works with other users...

Update your browser, and if that doesn't work... pitch the mac and get a linux we'll look into a way to make it easier for you to navigate... however, it seems like it's the mac itself (seeing that you've used several web browsers), but why it would be causing you issues like this is still a bit of a mystery...

Weckar - I experimented with the sidebar, and I'm not fond of it myself, so I pitched it.

Aile~♥

I've tried 3 different browsers. The thing just doesn't seem to like Macs. It's strange, though: It didn't say anything normal, just that it cannot find the server. I'll go check my preferences. Does the page use Java by any chance? That shouldn't cause problems, but it just might, since I had Java turned off. Considering Firefox is a Linux program, I'm surprised that they didn't just adapt it slightly to be Mac-compatible. If they'd done that, then it probably would work with that site.

Edit: And I have the newest version of Safari that my (ancient (as in like 8 years old)) Mac can use.

This post has been edited by JamietheFlameUser on Oct 2 2009, 06:06 PM

Charon

It sounds like its your computer. If it can't handle the newer versions of Mac's internet browser, it might be time to get another computer. Either that, or do a lot of reconfiguring of your current compy... o.o