News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Community Hack?

Started by Charon the Ferryman, 17, October, 2009, 10:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Hm... So, any guesses as to when we are starting the hack? If possible, can we please not make it near Christmas? I will not have all of the programs to help out then, and I really really want to help wiht this hack.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Charon

Most of the stuff, except for some of the mechanics and music, will not be available to us until we receive a new release of the editor.

Or... if we make Atrius do everything... muhahahaahahahaahahaaaa... but that's slightly mean. It's also against the 13th amendment.

Salanewt

13th Ammendment?

Anyway, I understand. I suppose this means that it will be some time after Christmas (which should work for many people, right?).

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

The 13th Amendment to the constitution of the United States abolished slavery.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Though, arguably, it's circumvented by the sale of credit. Because honestly, when you go in dept, the person you owe money to OWNS YOUR @#$%.  It's just slavery of another sort.

Anywho, if we're gonna do this, we've got to keep in mind that it can't just be one person doing it.  Sure, Atrius made the tools, but it's our job to use those tools to create this.  We'll need a sprite artist, we'll need storyboard peeps, we need a group of people working on the scripts once the script editor is done, etc...

Aile~♥

I agree with that last statement though, but this is getting OT. Anyway yeah, I'm not great at any of those things, but I'll do work with the script editor at times. Honestly, scenes are going to be a hard part, because you have to take the scene to everyone and ask if they approve, or what their character would say in this situation, or whatever.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Well, I don't see how it's too off topic.  We need people to do certain things...

To a degree, I can see myself and Salanewt working as sprite artists, for example.
I'd work well on the storyboard team as well, though I'd prefer some teammates.
Atrius and Charon seem like capable programmers, from what I can see.

Basically, we've all got roles to fill... But who gets what roles?

Charon

My niche is working with Music - Golden Sun's compression algos are right above my head. But the music is relatively easy to hack... heck, I could even add some more new instruments... :D

I like working in the creative niche and I'm decent at character design (of course, I'm usually adamant about that design, whether you like it or not... but flexible enough to change it after enough pestering, as in the Jupe thread XD), I would love to recompose the soundtrack for our hack (some will be remixes, others completely new) as well as helping with storyboard (but that's more of Role's niche).

Atrius is a much better programmer and computer guy than I really am - I use trial and error, he uses methods of finding his solution XD

Aile~♥

No I meant the thing about debt and slavery was OT. Anyway, yeah who gets what roles is a big question. Also, Charon seems to be a good artist, even if not astounding at sprites, she could be good for things like environmental artist, which we could need one of, if the current tileset isn't satisfactory.

Charon

I think that I could work something up, if there were necessary palettes for them. Of course, we might just want to keep most of the areas the same simply because they're rather generic.

Aile~♥

We'll probably end up using all four Lighthouses, and all four elemental Rocks, so those can stay the same, but we'll need technologically advanced areas for things like Charon's Alchemy Experiment labs... Which remind me of the Iselia Human Ranch in ToS: DotNW.

Rolina

I'm probably going to make an edit of Babi Tower to appear more complete.  It may not be as grand as he would like, but it's going to become the symbol of Lalivero, and a HUUUUUGE tourist attraction! :heart:

What was once a symbol of oppression becomes a grand economic blessing!  Oh, the irony! :heart:

Charon

Quote from: JamietheFlameUserWe'll probably end up using all four Lighthouses, and all four elemental Rocks, so those can stay the same, but we'll need technologically advanced areas for things like Charon's Alchemy Experiment labs... Which remind me of the Iselia Human Ranch in ToS: DotNW.
I always imagined them to be far less machine-like and more cave like. A dark cave... with its innards lined with cells of animal experiments... with one giant one lurking in the darkness, looming overhead...

Passing him is imperative for obtaining an important item to continue the story, but upon killing it, the part comes to a horrible realization... the monster was not animal at all, but a young child that reacted horribly to the psynergy stones that he was fed...

That kind of aura I'm going for - a sad, yet eerie feel. I always thought the human ranches were kind of... like a weird technology haven (which they were, but it would not suit GS)

@Role - I like this idea, but would it just be a fun place, or would it be like a lighthouse with a hidden ancient secret? Like the tunnel ruins... maybe they could mean something...

Aile~♥

It would fit GS though, at least if it were done by the Anemos it would. And the human ranches ARE eerie, but at the same time they have awesome music.

Atrius (He/Him)

I believe the battle backgrounds all have their own 64 color palette.

I also enjoy doing artwork sometimes, I should do some to post here at some point.  Not sure if anyone noticed this the first time I posted it, but this was an attempt of mine at creating Golden Sun style sprites:

[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

squizzy44

that's awesome, kepp up the good work

Charon

Squizzy, we're discussing on how we're going to make this hack. It's great if you wish to contribute, but please don't just send spam messages as such.

I think that we should wait until V.03 comes along before we do anything. It will give us more time to formulate ideas.

squizzy44

sorry, i wont post anymore.

Charon

That's not what I said... you can post if you want to contribute ideas, but telling us to "keep it up" isn't much more than spam.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Hmm... You make me want to post yet another poll. Well, I wonder if most battle music should be faster then area music which should be slower in most cases.

But the poll I was thinking of was to be about everyone's thoughts related to the community hack.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)